VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

"Claustrophobia Dislcosure" Possible Mistake?

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

Today, I got into ebenefits and noticed that my second claim has already moved into the "review of evidence"  phase without any CP exams for the contentions? Earlier, in one of my "statements of support", I mentioned as a way of "explanation" that my long standing  "claustrophobia" sometimes limits  my ability to do some MRI's? However,  I was still able to do a few more a couple of years ago which are still key evidence in my overall case, but it's harder and harder for me to do them now. This claustrophobia is directly associated with  a tragic experience  that I had in the Army and I started treatment today with the VA for the first time. Last weekend my wife said, "enough is enough" as I told her about my claustrophobia during a work trip 2 weeks ago in which the confined space of the commuter flight affected me a lot and she advised  "you are getting this checked out as soon as possible? I've been married 34 years and my wife is really amazing. That said, now I'm pretty sure that it was a very big mistake to bring this  to light in any capacity to my rater? The rater made a veiled statement in my last A8 that my inability to do some of the MRIs hurt my ability to gather sufficient evidence for my case but I have provided key medical documentation? However, I did provide the actual MRI that was so difficult for me to do as evidence and they have it. Currently, my file has over 200 smr  documents  that are related to the same condition and the evidence is overwhelming. The absolute worst part of this is that I never thought that something like this ( a medical condition)  would actually be used against me and I see now  that I was very naïve to disclose that information? When I asked friends it was about 50/50 if I should bring up the issue? Who knows, in retrospect, I probably should have run releasing  this information past this forum first to see what you Vets would do before I told my rater about it?  Any Advice or Comments on the Subject?  Godspeed ...Roobeer22

Edited by rootbeer22

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I'm not smart enough to address whether right or wrong in telling rater, but I have similar issues with commuter flights and MRI machines. Used to be any seat- back row window was OK.  Give me some water and leave me alone. Now when flying I've got to pick the aircraft and seat location to be "comfortable."  and also have the green pill bottle.

I do fairly well with an "open" MRI, which I'll assume you've tried and I've also taken a "relaxer" before hand.

In one instance, at a VA hospital, option was made to sedate me.   Might be an option to consider if a current MRI is required.

best of luck Bro

they can also give you valium to make you out of it and not care about anything at all.  i cant stand the MRI either, my first one was in March.  I thought i would be fine.  NOPE.  I started having a panic attack and almost called it.  barely made it, then i just sat in my car and had an attack and drove home.if i have to do it again i will take them up on the meds to knock me out.

Folks:

Thanks and I will use the sedation next time but it was also an "Open" MRI...That's the reasons why I am seeking treatment from the VA...