VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Explain the SMC requirement

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The law says total plus 60. Not 100 plus 60. If you have IU for one condition and it is total then you should get SMC S if you have the other 60 percent.

J

• Founder

I know I will be misunderstood when I say this. After counting today, I find 240 discussions on various aspects of Special Monthly Compensation, including SMC S. Narrowing it down, there are conservatively 200 involving just SMC S alone. Nevertheless, it seems no one (or very few) are willing to do the hard work and review prior posts for the same questions asked over and over. Further, I notice the same group of us knowledgeable in this area are answering the same questions over and over with the same exact answers. Learning a subject is easy here. The sheer volume of information is complete enough to qualify you for a non-attorney Practitioner's license at the VA.  In fact, as some know, I am in the process of doing just that. I didn't go to law school. I learned it from asking, reading posts here and precedental legal decisions at the Federal Circuit and the CAVC. Still more was gleaned from BVA decisions-all of which are there at your fingertips. 

I can understand if someone feels their particular situation is so unique that it requires a personal answer. Many situations are subtly different and require a nuanced answer. However, reading over this particular subject, I note that I have answered the same exact question over 20 times in a year. This leads me to believe that some are not willing or are unable to grasp the concept of searching for their answer and prefer the FacePlace technique of throwing it out there and letting all pile on with many answers-some of which are incomplete or factually  incorrect and harmful. 

Mind you, I do not criticize. I was a FNG once. Once, I emphasize. From there on out, I sought answers rather than ask for advice. If the answer was nowhere to be found, I used to go to the "Pink" site. After a while, I realized they had a warped view of Veterans help.  Hadit is possibly the most read and respected of all the Veterans Help sites for one reason. We give good advice that aids in a win. Being graced with an Elder designation in spite of very few posts is a great honor. I did not agree to it initially feeling it might upset others who had been here longer and thus had "more time in the cockpit". Knowledge earned is to be shared - most especially with those from whom VA deprives it. Asking the same questions over and over with no effort to research it burns out those who hope to help you. We get "mental laryngitis" from repeating the same things over and over. Eventually, some of us cease to offer that which you need to win. This deprives everyone who hopes to learn here. 

I beg all of you who come to Hadit to make an effort to at least attempt to find an answer among the tens of thousands of posts before asking. If you still find yourself stymied, most of us would be glad to help you. I was tempted to just answer the SMC question again when it struck me as horribly redundant. Again, I apologize if I have insulted anyone. 

asknod - you make a very good point. i have a an idea that might help. how about i set up a knowledgebase kind of thing and when answering a question you have answered many times before you can enter it into the knowledgeable once and then simply link to it whenever the question comes up again. anyone interested in this?

I use a search bar on my site, Theresa.  It's at the upper right under the medal and all the black area of widgets. Type in the word(s) you seek or a CAVC decision name  like Buie and it brings up any mention of Mr. Buie in a blog. I like Hadit because you can ask questions. Many say they find my site limited because it isn't a "forum" like this. Why duplicate? We have the best of both worlds. Many like the DIY aspect of claims filing knowing how limited the VSO system is. And for all those who like to be told they cannot get there from here or be depressed and told there is no hope- we have Peggy's Pink site. My favorite-Ye olde Medic- is still the soothsayer of doom and gloom over there. He has counseled innumerable Vets to not waste their time filing for HCV via jetguns. I've now helped over ten guys and a gal win on it. I even went out and bought one. Win or Die. Those are your alternatives in this game.

Win or Die T-Shirts - Copy.jpg

• Founder

just got the word on a very close friend who was sprayed and betrayed - agent orange - bladder cancer - i am not ready to lose him and he is not ready to go - but i'm afraid that poison has finally rendered a death blow.

i like the t-shirts. 

i'm just here to help, you all let me know what works for you and i will try and provide.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms T

Everything you do works good for me, and all the hadit elder members are God Send In my eyes  I appreciate everyone here at hadit and there/expertise/ knowledge I know Could not be found any where else  and its all free here on hadit.com   veterans can't beat that!

...............Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

jbasser

I actually have one condition /counting tinnitus and IU P&T but back when they awarded it 2002)   no SMC was even mention  and thats been over 13 1/2 years.

I am filing for PTSD at present..

........Buck