VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had interesting C&P exams recently

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hey everybody, just a quick update on me.

On Friday I had a joint C&P exam for my R ankle and hips for secondary claims.

Ankle was found

Dorsiflexion of 0-5 and Plantar flexion of 0-40

Hips were found

flexion: 0-40

extension: 0-20

Abduction: 0-20

Adduction 0-20

Rotation, external 0-20 and internal 0-20.

Examiner opined that the ankle was at least as likely as not caused by already SC L ankle, but the hips were found less likely as not caused by current SCDs.  X-rays of hips showed nothing. Ok, now hear this...he suggested/advised that I call my PCP and request for an MRI for my hips for further evaluation and treatment. Is this his way of saying that my pain and reduced ROM are for real and should be further investegated that I may then be SCd?  He also said in his opinion it seems more likely that the soft tissue of the pelvis/hip region is inflammed which is causing my pain and reduced ROM.  And that I may need to see a Rheumatologist for treatment.  Not sure what that is implying, but I have heard of rhuematoid arthritis, is this what he may be hinting at?

Ok PTII, today I had a C&P for depression secondary to chronic pain...

One of my worst ever exams!!!  When he was done(VA phyc) I felt that I shouldn't have even filed that claim.  He was very nice and polite, but every twist and turn he kept trying to lead me outside of my AD time and the years since.  He kept asking about before I went in the Marines.  I kept redirecting by saying these things and symptoms all started after my enlistment began.

He kept repeating the same questions over and over, waiting for me to slip up.  I knew what he was doing, and yet still felt like I was the one in the wrong.  Then he went on some spiel about how 30% of the general population is depressed and most of them don't have suicide ideations and such.  And that most of us are biologically predisposed to things like depression.

He wanted me to try to explain why I think I don't have any friends, even though I had told him that my state of mind keeps me from doing that.  I went into detail about my chronic sleep impairment and drinking, and he made it sound like it's the normal thing no big deal.  I told him that I did not grow up with these things in my life or family.  And that they all began to manifest after I was in the Marines.  I told him that on my 5th day of boot camp, when I fell down the stairs, is the initiation point.

Then he said he will have re-review my record to see if he really could find some way to SC this.  Funny, it was supposed to be for secondary to chronic pain.  He asked about current SCDs and I told him what they were and the ratings, several of which are listed as pain conditions.

Is this normal? Or am I looking at a long road of NODs and BVA land???  I sure hope all that  was just his way of trying to trip me up into screwing myself by saying the wrong thing.

I did have a written statement covering things I wanted to make sure were covered, and I told him that a copy of same will be submitted into evidence for my claim, to ensure nothing from it gets left out.  He made a funny face at that, but said it was a good idea to be prepared like that.

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble on.

Andyman

Ok PTII, today I had a C&P for depression secondary to chronic pain...

One of my worst ever exams!!!  When he was done(VA phyc) I felt that I shouldn't have even filed that claim.  He was very nice and polite, but every twist and turn he kept trying to lead me outside of my AD time and the years since.  He kept asking about before I went in the Marines.  I kept redirecting by saying these things and symptoms all started after my enlistment began.

He kept repeating the same questions over and over, waiting for me to slip up.  I knew what he was doing, and yet still felt like I was the one in the wrong.  Then he went on some spiel about how 30% of the general population is depressed and most of them don't have suicide ideations and such.  And that most of us are biologically predisposed to things like depression.

He wanted me to try to explain why I think I don't have any friends, even though I had told him that my state of mind keeps me from doing that.  I went into detail about my chronic sleep impairment and drinking, and he made it sound like it's the normal thing no big deal.  I told him that I did not grow up with these things in my life or family.  And that they all began to manifest after I was in the Marines.  I told him that on my 5th day of boot camp, when I fell down the stairs, is the initiation point.

Then he said he will have re-review my record to see if he really could find some way to SC this.  Funny, it was supposed to be for secondary to chronic pain.  He asked about current SCDs and I told him what they were and the ratings, several of which are listed as pain conditions.

Is this normal? Or am I looking at a long road of NODs and BVA land???  I sure hope all that  was just his way of trying to trip me up into screwing myself by saying the wrong thing.

I did have a written statement covering things I wanted to make sure were covered, and I told him that a copy of same will be submitted into evidence for my claim, to ensure nothing from it gets left out.  He made a funny face at that, but said it was a good idea to be prepared like that.

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble on.

Andyman

Based off my recent PTSD exam, I'd say you and I have a long road of NOD's and BVA land...my doctor took almost zero interest in my issues and instead talked to me about ways to deal with them. "Thanks Doc," I wanted to say, "but I'm pretty sure all that information would come from the VHA side of things. How about you stick to what the DBQ says?"

Time to dig another fighting hole. At least this one will be farther up the beach than the last one. The VA is it's own worst enemy. I've fought through one BVA hearing and won decidedly; and now I'm a lot more keen on how those jerks play...

Semper Fi Andyman

Sgt. Wilky

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

How did the exam questions compare to the MH non-PTSD DBQ?

I believe some of those questions are designed to poke the triggers and get a reaction.

I'm not sure, I downloaded the depression DBQ that was posted on here last week, and tried to go over it myself as best I could. 

The examiner wanted to know why I waited so long before getting help or filing a claim.  Guess he couldn't understand when I said that I didn't even know that I qualified for help through the VA.  And I was too ashamed to mention it to my private Dr. or my PCP.  Same as for why I don't have any friends. I said it's not really normal for depressed people to go out and make friends, is it?  No answer.

Most of the questions were ok, from the exam form, the part that bothered me was him repeating them over and over, or his own questions.  Or his confusion as to why this or why that.  He thought it odd that my symptoms only started after I was in the Marines.  I said, well, I wasn't hurt before, or I couldn't have gotten in, and once I was injured, things progressed down hill from there.  Duh!

Then he kept saying things like I was depressed all my life, I kept correcting him that this all began after I was in the Marines...or else how did I get in???  They did accept me as whole mentally and physically. 

But then again, maybe that is routine, and he was just trying to find holes in my story that he could start picking at to discredit me.  I hope that is the case.

As per Sgt. Wilky, tho, he only mentioned that maybe I should look into anti-depressants to help me, and no other advice offered.  I said I will bring that up with my VA MH dr at my next session.  Beyond that he couldn't say anything, since I am currently under my MH dr's care, and not him the examiner.

I'm hoping and praying that my statement that I prepared before the exam, and submitted to be added to my claim, will guide/convince the RO to fairly and correctly rate me.

I'm interested to see how the other exams play out for my ankle and hips.

Semper Fi,

Andyman

It is not unusual for someone to wait for a long time to seek treatment. Delayed onset {condition} exists. It took years for me to seek help for depression secondary to my SC pain because I did not realize that help was available.

Sometimes doctors try to rephrase questions and re-ask them later to see if they can get a different response. You did yourself a favor by sticking with your earlier statements.

Then again, this doctor could just be another anti-veteran hack.

Vync,

I did find out from my MH doc, during my last session that the examiner was just trying to weed out fraudulent claims.  So his style of round and round questioning does make sense from that viewpoint.  Doesn't make me feel any better about it, tho.

I seem to be reading more and more of the 'weeding out' happening during C&P exams here on Hadit. I know it bugs me to hear that the supposed policy against the VA being "non-confrontational" is not happening. If you have no MH history records then I can see why they want to push more of your buttons. However, if you have a documented history of MH treatment for depression, they should not put you through the meat grinder.