VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Related to fibromyalgia

Rate this question

invisible

Question

I just recieved my determination for Fibromyalgia. They listed it as a disability, denied SC, but in the notes listed enviromental hazard. What does this mean? I wasn't expecting to be approved, since at the last moment, my primary PCM declined to fill out the Questionaire. Just wondering if anyone had any insight. Out of all the labs they took, the odd one was the Epstein Barr. I am not sure if that is to confirm, rule out FM... IDK. Thanks in advance for any insight!

fibromyalgia Not Service Connected

Environmental Hazard in Gulf War

and I will post here my original determination- it screams Fibro and arthritis IMHO. Some things, as I mentioned previously, I am fighting, Such as rhinitis, sleep apnea, headaches, higher IBS because how the pain and alternating affect daily activities, etc. Basically we are appealing anything that is an issue and I actively being treated for. When I got out, I ended up having two kids. So that for most of the time after seperation, I was either pregnant or nursing until just over a year ago. I mentioned this in my personal statement, that I couldn't take my meds and the VA would treat me when OBGYN was my primary. I would still go and complain of my symptoms regardless.

IMG_3508.PNG

Thanks! SInce all of this, and the fact that my deductible is met for the year, I have made other appointments for IBS and GERD, so that it may be documented right. so I am not only reloading, but trading in for a better weapon. Thanks for the encouragment! This whole process is exhasting...but I am not going to back down!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I hope the new examinations and tests result in the VA reversing their poorly made decision.

After reading the C&P exam results, they claim your medical treatment records "are silent" to a positive diagnosis for fibromyalgia. If your new rheumatism doctor formally diagnoses you with fibromyalgia, then that should be the end of denials. Have you been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by any medical professional yet? If you have, did you send the documentation from that specific visit to the VA along with their claim?

I don't want to switch gears about your fibromyalgia, but I noticed you filed for cervical/lumbar and were SC at 0%. They typically rate this due to limited range of motion, abnormal spinal curvature, abnormal gait, or IVDS (i.e. bed rest). Check all of your records and see if any of the items I listed have been documented. If you have anything in the times between when you filed and your C&P exam, it might be able to really help. Don't give up on this. Every time you have problems, go to the doc and get it documented. Keep a "pain diary" to track flare ups if it occurs fairly frequently. It could also be beneficial to buy a cheap goinometer online and have your husband measure your range of motion according to the charts in the rating criteria. Don't forget to take a separate measurement for when pain begins vs. the maximum range you can move. If you know a friend who is a nurse or doctor, ask them to check it and document it as a buddy letter. For example, my wife is a licensed RN and keeps track of everything. Having someone who is a licensed medical professional carries more weight than an average person.

The VA is supposed to list details of the evidence they used to make their decision. It's not uncommon for it to be omitted or overlooked. If the VA made the decisions based on their own examinations and records, but did not have your non-VA records, it could be as simple as sending in copies of just those specific visits. If this is the situation, you should be able to easily counter any of those "records are silent" statements from the VA.

I am told that "maybe" in the future that my fibromyalgia will get better. I am told that with time new medication will be developed and make things a lot better for me.  I have been living with fibromyalgia for twenty some odd years and I still hurt, I am still exhausted after I take a shower.  After my first round of medication (Lyrica) I need a serious nap.  I been on Gabapentin which did not help. I been on Cymbalta which put me in the hospital for a week. I been on Nuerontin that did not help and now I am on Lyrica and it does not seem to be working.  So I can only go by my rheum. who told me to try to go by my own pace and if I don't feel like doing something don't do it and be very careful to not to overexert myself because it could cause more problems with my low energy