VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA is DEFINITELY adding Camp Lejeune presumptives. Also, I'm coming out. :)

Rate this question

JamesBreckenridge

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Long time no see, y'all.

First the important bit: http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/includes/viewPDF.cfm?id=2743

If it works like ALS did, then effective dates will be from the date the regulation goes into effect. Meaning, if you've been fighting an appeal for years, they may grant on a presumptive basis effective the date of the new regulation,. Hopefully, however, you can get the right evidence and medical opinion so that you can win on DIRECT though.

Now, the other thing.

I used to be a VA adjudicator, and from time to time I would poke my nose in here, trying to help where I could. I got super busy with work as I tried like hell to help as many Veterans as possible, as well as trying to carve out a career path from RVSR to DRO to BVA judge. VA "declined" to help me with my law school student loans ($130k worth!) even though they have a program just for that, and the certs kept busting on USAJOBS, and I had lay people telling me, a licensed attorney, that I was wrong because their policy newsletter somehow outweighs a judge and the US Code. So I split after five and a half years. A very large plaintiff's law firm (mostly personal injury, workers comp, med malpractice)  has decided to get involved in a ton of practice areas, and they expanded the Social Security section to include VA benefits. So, I get to be on the ground floor of a new practice area at a major law firm (un-named for now because I don't' want to look like I'm trolling for clients). Also, this isn't my real name, because I didn't want the VA coming after me when I worked there.

I'm still super busy as I try to handle an enormous caseload, and help design our workflow so that we don't wind up in the same boat the VA is in. I won't have time to spend all day on Hadit. I wish I could though. I eat sleep and breathe this stuff, and I'm really passionate about it. I will try to become more active and help out where I can with some advice.

(edit: spelling)

Edited by JamesBreckenridge

This is good info for Camp Lejeune vets.  I was at Lejeune in 1968, 1969 and 1970. 

GP

JB(nom de plume(or keyboard))

Thanks for the info.  Good luck in your new endeavor!  Hopefully you will have much success at helping Vets show the VA the error of it's ways.  Where are you going to be located, in case I have need of a good lawyer to fight the VA?

Semper Fi.

Andyman.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Long time no see, y'all.

First the important bit: http://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/includes/viewPDF.cfm?id=2743

If it works like ALS did, then effective dates will be from the date the regulation goes into effect. Meaning, if you've been fighting an appeal for years, they may grant on a presumptive basis effective the date of the new regulation,. Hopefully, however, you can get the right evidence and medical opinion so that you can win on DIRECT though.

Now, the other thing.

I used to be a VA adjudicator, and from time to time I would poke my nose in here, trying to help where I could. I got super busy with work as I tried like hell to help as many Veterans as possible, as well as trying to carve out a career path from RVSR to DRO to BVA judge. VA "declined" to help me with my law school student loans ($130k worth!) even though they have a program just for that, and the certs kept busting on USAJOBS, and I had lay people telling me, a licensed attorney, that I was wrong because their policy newsletter somehow outweighs a judge and the US Code. So I split after five and a half years. A very large plaintiff's law firm (mostly personal injury, workers comp, med malpractice)  has decided to get involved in a ton of practice areas, and they expanded the Social Security section to include VA benefits. So, I get to be on the ground floor of a new practice area at a major law firm (un-named for now because I don't' want to look like I'm trolling for clients). Also, this isn't my real name, because I didn't want the VA coming after me when I worked there.

I'm still super busy as I try to handle an enormous caseload, and help design our workflow so that we don't wind up in the same boat the VA is in. I won't have time to spend all day on Hadit. I wish I could though. I eat sleep and breathe this stuff, and I'm really passionate about it. I will try to become more active and help out where I can with some advice.

(edit: spelling)

Congratulations James!

Regarding the VA declining to help with your law school student loans, that money was diverted to pay for more up and coming VA scandals...

Lay people? Licensed attorneys don't always agree. Heck, 60% of the Supreme Court decisions are 5-4. ( and all of the justices are Columbia or Yale law graduates.)

Post some specifics about your application for educational benefits, and someone here might be able to help you.

Edited by Navy1966
Spelling Columbia

• HadIt.com Elder

JB(nom de plume(or keyboard))

Thanks for the info.  Good luck in your new endeavor!  Hopefully you will have much success at helping Vets show the VA the error of it's ways.  Where are you going to be located, in case I have need of a good lawyer to fight the VA?

Semper Fi.

Andyman.

I'm in Florida, but I can represent Veterans anywhere. :) I would recommend a good VSO or Veterans Attorney close to wherever you ware, however, to try and keep costs down; it's one thing for me to drive to St. Pete and crash on my sister's couch when I have a DRO or BVA hearing.... but it's quite another if I have to fly to California and stay in a hotel and rent a car or taxi to get around. Since I bill my clients if we win, I try to keep costs down. I know I'm good at what I do, but I have a hard time believing I'm the absolute best or the only game in town. :) The National Association of Veterans Advocates can probably hook you up with a more conveniently located attorney to you. :)