VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Successful Sleep Apnea Secondary to PTSD

Rate this topic

OEF 21B

Congratulations.  Im interested in the rationale your doc gave as his justifcation for sleep apnea secondary to PTSD.  While I have  no doubt there is a link, it would be great if you posted his rationale, as well as the reasons and bases for decisions, as this may help other Veterans who are also seeking OSA secondary to PTSD/MDD.  Thanks.  

VA hates it when we are informed, and that is why I like it.  

Edited by broncovet

Hi Broncovet - I haven't received my BBE yet, so I can't post the VA's rational for award yet.  Once I get it, I'll post it.

I provided my civilian Sleep/Pulminary Dr. with a "sample" Nexus Letter and a Sleep Apnea DBQ with sections VI-Functional Impact, and VII-Remarks filled out with 'suggested' language.  After a quick exam, the Dr. agreed to sign the DBQ and Nexus Letter with a few minor changes.

I'm pretty sure that the DBQ as well as the Nexus letter were considered fairly highly since both contained a statement linking my OSA with my PTSD...  The wording didn't say that my OSA was CAUSED by my PTSD, just that my OSA AGGRAVATED my PTSD; and my PTSD AGGRAVATED my OSA.  I think that the aggravated VS caused wording was key, but I'll have to wait and see what the actual award letter says.

Semper Fi

Edited by OEF 21B

OEF 21 B, Congratulations on the good news. I too had a sleep study ordered by my psyc whom was treating me for PTSD . The sleep study came back as ( mild OSA ) sleep apnea. The VA asked if I would like a C Pap machine and I said yes. So I have been on the machine about 4 months.  In talking to my  Psych about this he was in agreement that the PTSD was related to my sleep apnea. Now I'm trying to make my case and I'm seeking help in putting this together .

1) Did you approach your Psych about writing a nexus regarding your sleep apnea?

2) Does the type of sleep apnea you have make a difference in weather it's related to PTSD ?

3) Did you approach any of your Drs in the VA ( Sleep Doctor, Primary Doctor ) about supporting documentation for your case?

4) Did you have a Dr. fill out VA form  21-0960L-2 ( Sleep Apnea disability benifits questionnaire ) ?

Apologizes for so many questions . I'm trying to make sense of all this and get a proper claim together .  Whatever your willing to share would be greatly appreciated .  Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow Hadit veterans.

Edited by Rocket1949

OEF 21B,

Got me wondering how this will play out for me, since I've been DXd for over 2 years now, by my private Dr. 

I recently had a MH C&P and one of the things the Dr did DX me with was chronic sleep issues/disturbances.  Maybe that will work for me?  I'm kinda in my own little world, mostly inside my head. 

Eh, sure do wish I hadn't kept all my stuff locked up inside...

Congratulations on your successful climb up the high peak to SCD of sleep apnea!

Semper Fi.

Andyman

16 hours ago, Rocket1949 said:

OEF 21 B, Congratulations on the good news. I too had a sleep study ordered by my psyc whom was treating me for PTSD . The sleep study came back as ( mild OSA ) sleep apnea. The VA asked if I would like a C Pap machine and I said yes. So I have been on the machine about 4 months.  In talking to my  Psych about this he was in agreement that the PTSD was related to my sleep apnea. Now I'm trying to make my case and I'm seeking help in putting this together .

1) Did you approach your Psych about writing a nexus regarding your sleep apnea?

2) Does the type of sleep apnea you have make a difference in weather it's related to PTSD ?

3) Did you approach any of your Drs in the VA ( Sleep Doctor, Primary Doctor ) about supporting documentation for your case?

4) Did you have a Dr. fill out VA form  21-0960L-2 ( Sleep Apnea disability benifits questionnaire ) ?

Apologizes for so many questions . I'm trying to make sense of all this and get a proper claim together .  Whatever your willing to share would be greatly appreciated .  Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow Hadit veterans.

Hi Rocket - 1)My VA Psych told me that he didn't believe that there was any connection and that he wouldn't complete a DBQ or write a nexus letter for me.  I ended up going to a civilian sleep doctor that was listed on my civilian health insurance.  This doctor completed the DBQ and well as a nexus letter for me.

2) I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea.  My doctor stated that my OSA was at least as likely as not is aggravated by my service connected PTSD.  And that it is at least as likely as not that my PTSD is aggravated by my OSA.  I think that key issue here was that he/we never stated that the PTSD CAUSED the OSA, just that it aggravated it.

3) see #1.  absolutely NO help from any of my VA docs.

4) Yes.

Good luck with your claim!

Semper Fi

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use