VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received DAV letter of representation for upcoming NOD hearing!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

Okay so I received this letter DAV letter_Redacted.pdf and I am questioning myself as to whether or not to use them?  I hired a DAV rep in 2013 when I lived in DC but I haven't spoken to any DAV rep in over 1-1/2 years.  The WACO DAV knows NOTHING about my NOD.  We were just talking about this in another thread about releasing your POA.

Is it wise to go without a DAV rep?  I think I am my own best advocate and I am a bit worried he/she will not know anything about my NOD.

Thoughts?

• HadIt.com Elder

Navy4life,

I think you can handle your NOD/Claim at RO Level...its when we have to go to the BVA/CAVC  for good representation.

matter fact thats the only time we can supposably hire a Attorney or after your denied.

if you need it  then I recommend a good Experienced  Veteran Attorney.

When you hire them and you guys make an agreement   the DAV goes out the window and the new Attorney is your POA.

if you want I'd just ignore that letter  and call the 1-800# to ask if you have any meetings to show up or C&P's  Even if you know them its a good Idea to call and just see what they say!

if you stay on top of your claim I bet you will do just fine.

Other members may differ but this is just my opinion and its what I would do  but no ONE knows your case better than you.

you can get a lot of help &information right here on hadit from some of the elder members....and its free.

.........Buck

Buck;

I have my hearing next month on the 26th which is my DRO Review Hearing and I have two C&P Exams next week BUT those C&P Exams are not related to the NOD.

I just don't need the representation of a DAV rep.  I can handle my claim with the DRO Review Hearing Officer myself.  I just don't want to have a DAV rep show up and expect to "defend" me.  Like you said I know my case better than anyone and at this point I know it better than a DAV rep who has NEVER talked to me nor seen my file.  I would say differently and feel differently about wanting a DAV rep with me if that DAV rep had been actively involved in my claim/NOD/etc from the start.

I know the saying about "representing yourself, you are your own worse client" but I am a Paralegal by trade and I do have some experience with hearings but again, this is not at the BVA level....

HMMMMM

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a DRO Hearing years back  in Waco Tx and it was pretty simple, the DRO TOOK my IMO over a VA Dr...That had proposed to take away my 50% and reduce me to 0% and take away my Service Connection.

I went got an IMO recommended by hadit members and walla I walk out of that hearing with a 40%increase to 90%combined rating and was awarded TDIU P&T with no future exams and my disabilities was chronic in nature  meaning my disability will not get any better in my life time

this award is effective immediately as the DRO expedited everything.

I did ask for Help from the DAV because they had an office in the RO...But the DAV SO just sit there through my Hearing and never was really any help  so I guess them being there may help but I don't think so  because me and DRO went back and forth..and he liked my answers and he liked me 

This was at the Waco Tx RO...On Clay street there in Waco

Maybe I did draw a good DRO   he was nice and gave me a thumbs up after the Hearing was over...tlk about a happy man  on the way home I sang my heart out...LoL

It was not as bad as I had expected  if I had to do it all over again  Yes Mam  I sure would.

Maybe your familiar with DRO Hearings  and you know there not that Bad.

.........Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay  you can do it just  have all your information /evidence ready for your Hearing.

I bet you can do it by yourself  o with your hubby/or best friend.

If the DAV person is there to represent you  just tell them ( with all due respect)you would like to go it alone and represent yourself

I believe you have that right to do that..if not  just ask the DAV Rep to keep his mouth shut and don't say anything during your hearing   because you simply don't know me or my case.

Its my opinion here only but just because you have a DAV Rep don't mean you have to use them.

I bet you will do Fine.

........Buck

I am going to call their office (DAV) on Monday in WACO and tell them I do not need them.  I will go ahead and remove them if I have to for sure!  I don't need someone there that knows nothing about me or my claims!

Thanks Buck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Its not eazy to dismiss or revoke your POA You need to do that in writing  theres a ''form'' for it  but even when you do that  it does not mean they revoke your DAV POA There was a thread on this last summer about firing your POA (I'll see if I can find it and the form to dismiss your POA)

...you may continue to receive letters from them (DAV)...just Ignore them   and if you ever have to go past the RO and into the BVA Courts  you can hire a Private Attorney   ...Remember the DAV can't go with you past RO Level anyway.

....Buck