VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TBI --- My Recent Journey

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Vets:

Overall, I've had a bit of a frustrating journey as I've tried to ensure that the residual effects from an in service Tank Main Gun  explosion early in my Army Tanker Career would at least be recorded and the effects on my body and mind be noted officially-in case I deteriorate more as I age. Back then they just  did not have the TBI protocols that we have now over the last 2 wars. I've just turned 55 and have headaches, memory and cognitive issues that I've had every sense the explosion in the mid 1980's. Over the years, I've set up cleaver systems with notes and recording mechanisms so I can still function and cope with my daily activities. My son once said, "Dad, you have "notes" to tell you where your notes are at"? Over the years my memory has had very subtle changes.  I've gotten to the point were I put everything in the car I need for work during the weekend, so I don't forget it Monday morning and forget these things like my ID Badge. I put notes next the coffee pot each evening before I go to bed, so I can check off what needs to be done. Anyway, I waited to file for TBI after my primary disability claim because I am terribly claustrophobic and that malady actually began right after the explosion.  Actually, my rater commented about it on my A8 letter. However, the Anxiety of getting into and MRI and being completely covered in the "tube" is overwhelming for me. I did find an open MRI for my back and spine (only one like it in WA State) but failed the first time due to hyperventilating  and the second time was so heavily sedated that I almost passed out? Over the years, I've cancelled numerous MRI's for various military related injuries  because I could not get into the machine. I really doubt I could do it again? One theory is that the part of my brain that triggers those types of responses, may have been damaged during the explosion?  I'm being treated now by the VA for the claustrophobia. Frankly, there's more to the story as I saw the aftermath of a soldier that was crushed by a tank and I can't get the image and experience out of my mind, even after all of these years.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I was finally first sent into see a Psychiatrist  for an interview and testing. After about an hour, he said that he could not make a decision by himself and that I needed more extensive testing by others. So, a week later, I took a CP Exam/Physical for my headaches, took a another hearing test (third one this year) and saw a psychologist to discuss my personnel relationships.  The headache doc said that my records have covered the headache for years and they were mentioned on my retirement physical so he said they should have had enough evidence already? The psychologist said that my memory and cognitive issues are very pronounced as well. Anyway, lately, I've been reading the Hadit.Com TBI Forum to see how other Vets  have been treated over the years with TBI and a lot of it seems a 50/50 proposition for the outcomes and each case is just so different that it's hard to predict any particular  outcome? Like I told the Psychiatrist during my first  interview, I knew that there were a lot of risks joining the Army and especially being on and around dangerous  combat equipment  (and can live with that) that is designed to kill and injure both friend and foe alike. However, if I deteriorate, I'd like for it to be recognized so I can be treated. No one in my family has ever had any of these issues before , and it is most likely to be service related then not. But that decision will be made by other folks that are more familiar with the process whom are in authority.

Either way, I'll report back and let you all know the final outcome.... 

Sorry for what you have been going thru bud.  Have you not had a Brain and Head Scan? I have had multiple over the last couple of years. In fact had one last year, and was diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrome. I always say that regardless of what the VA, DOD or SSA says, No evidence speaks louder then Physical Evidence such as MRIs, Scans and Ultra Sounds. Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless

Bingo on the need for an MRI of the brain.  In my own TBI case, the MRI showed a "remote" lacunar infarct, AKA an old stroke, of the left globus pallidus.  That area has much control over such area as executive functioning.  And guess what, my own +40yr of post military/TBI occupational history SHOW JUST THAT.

So, that being said, do what needs to be done, including the MRIs.  Can't the VA put you under anesthesia to an MRI?  I'd ask if that were possible.

HorizontalMike:

Thanks, the only reason that I finally submitted the TBI claim after many years was that I was told based upon my records that I did not need a an MRI? I'm severely claustrophobic and am being treated by the VA for it now.

I used to be an Army Tanker and fighting buttoned up, with the hatch closed did not bother me. Now, just closing the hatch with me inside would be impossible now. One of the theories is that the area that affects the "fight or flight" part of the brain may have been damaged in the Tank explosion that I was in?  Frankly, my heart is beating now as I've been writing this email to give you and example.

I wish it was just that easy just to get a sedative or something like that. However, I do hear that a PET scanner does not put you in a tube and just covers the top of the head  which I could certainly do. Frankly, if the VA were to insist on an MRI, I would have to just drop the claim all together. Already, the TBI process has been very lengthy and I've had to share a lot about my personal and professional life with strangers. Frankly, my wife has been the one pushing me to get checked out because she's concerned about the long term care affects on my brain and our family life. My memory both short and long-term is now problematic and I carry a notebook with me everywhere to keep track.

Here is a possible solution.   I am very familiar with this equipment as a close friend set up four sites in the Rocky Mountain region.  I have had MRIs done at one site in Phoenix.

http://www.mycdi.com/puget_sound/renton/wa_states_only_open_upright_mri/

Hope this helps!

19 hours ago, rootbeer22 said:

HorizontalMike:

Thanks, the only reason that I finally submitted the TBI claim after many years was that I was told based upon my records that I did not need a an MRI? I'm severely claustrophobic and am being treated by the VA for it now.

...[snip]...

Frankly, my wife has been the one pushing me to get checked out because she's concerned about the long term care affects on my brain and our family life. My memory both short and long-term is now problematic and I carry a notebook with me everywhere to keep track.

Truth be told, the VA DOES NOT want to know if you have actual brain damage that might show up in an MRI.  Not knowing makes it easier for the VA to deny you benefits.  Just saying...

GuaymasJim

As always, thanks for you help on this...

I think, I've counted about 5-7 times in which I got to the point where I was going into an MRI Machine and just had to cancel at the last moment...due to the anxiety....

Three years ago, I was able to use this very same MRI Machine that is in Renton, WA for my back.  Then about 6 months ago I tried to use the same machine again during to some bowel problem and just could not due to my hyperventilation. Then after some very heavy sedation, in which I almost passed out during the procedure, I was able to get an adequate MRI on my back and neck. I know what you mean about the "denial" cycle because I think I'm seeing elements now with parts of my claim right now.....and it's very frustrating for me...

Take Care, Rootbeer22

Edited by rootbeer22
Left somehting off