VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tent Fire PTSD Questions

Rate this question

laceup541691

Question

Does anyone think that a tent fire in the mountains of south korea would be considered linked to ptsd. what happend was we were in a field excersice in s.korea and I was asleep in our tent. The fire guard on duty left to talk to his "drinky girl" girlfriend on the cell phone. well he put the fuel cans right beside the heater and the heater was on high. those pot belly heaters get glowing red hot! well when i woke up to the sounds of "fire,fire,fire" I couldnt breath and the plastic fuel can was on fire at the top and melting. everyone was running out and i couldnt get out of my sleeping bag. I was right beside the heater and felt like i was gonna die. i got out of the sleeping bag and fell on my face. i got up and the first fuel can exploded and i got up, the whole tent was on fire and another fuel can exploded as i got out and rounds of ammunition were being shot off exploding. Obviously I didnt die and i only had some cuts and bruises. I was in my boxers standing outside with my platoon in the freezing mud. all of our belongings burnt and we wored civilian clothes for the next month when we went back on base. I lost alot of personal stuff out there and had to get re issued everything. since then When it gets too hot in my room and im sleeping i have crazy dreams of the fire and not making it out. the heat always triggers these dreams and i have sever anxiety and wake up thinking im on fire. It takes me awhile to get out of the funk of having one of these dreams. I am prescribed prazosin for nightmares. 

would this be considered ptsd? 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hiya Laceup,
That is definitely freaky and could possibly be considered PTSD.

Did you look up your MH records to see what you were diagnosed with?

Were there any written reports about the incident?

How long have you been on Prazosin and what's your current mg dosage?

hey Vync,

thanks for responding. I have looked up some of my mental health records, the ones that are on myhealthevet. I am diagnosed severe anxiety and manic depressive. also psychosis that is 38 1702 treatment purposes only. 

There was a big C.I.D. investigation and i did recieve a check for some of my lost belongings back then. So there is alot of records on the incident somewhere.

I used to be on trazadone and i hated how that made me feel the next morning. I have been in and out of inpatient facilities and on diff medicine.

The prazosin was just recently started and i am on 1mg. But i hate that too because i wake up feeling horrible and i sleep forever. I dont even want to take it anymore.

I have an intent to file date of july 2016 and am working on getting all of my health records so that i can claim. Because i once put in a claim for anxiety and depression back in 2011 and i moved. I never recieved a letter and i never submitted anything they asked for because of that. But then I never knew how to do it and i never had a VSO rep like i do now. So on ebennies it says not service connected for severe anxiety and manic depression and then it says active/psychosis gw/mental for the same thing underneath that.

I also have buddies that wrote statements saying their memory of what happened and how it has affected them.

I would suggest that if you are not seeing a mental health provider then you should try to get in and see one as soon as possible. Even if the condition does not rise to the level of PTSD, VA can still service connect it as another mental health disorder if you can get a medical opinion that your current condition is related to your military service with a good medical rationale.

Hope the best

Thanks, I actually see a mental health provider weekly because I do substance abuse counseling and everything. I am on suboxone and do follow ups every week. I talk to her about the nightmares and stuff and she has known about it for awhile. Im going to tell her that I am filing a claim and im sure she wouldnt mind helping me with whatever i need. Is there a certain form my dr. will need to fill out? I am also starting PTSD classes soon. I just feel like because the issue isnt really dealing with being shot or something that I am being a punk for filing for it. Kinda embarrasing. But seeing my wife at night when she wakes me up because im crying or moaning in my sleep sucks and she gets really upset because she cant help. So that is why i am even considering seeking help for it.

btw thanks for responding to my post. I really love this website and i have told some friends about it too and they are all registering with the website. 

No there is no specific form that your doctor has to fill out but when she writes her letter it must state that she has reviewed your military records and it is her medical opinion that your current diagnosis( whatever it is) is as least likely as not caused by or is a result of you military service and give a good medical rationale why the conditions are related.

Once again I am trying to get you to understand that yes you have a form of depression but it may not be PTSD, it could be anxiety disorder, or something else that could still be service connected depending on what your doctor diagnose you.

Pete is correct.  Its all up to the doc who treats you.  If he diagnosed your PTSD, and thinks the fire is a stressor, then you can get ready to appeal and fight for your benefits like the rest of us.  

Have you read what the doc said?  If you dont have a copy of your cfile, get it.  You will need it.