VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DEA

Rate this question

US NAVY DAV

Question

Sorry if its been talked about.

My question is since I cannot (for my dependents) use Chapter 35

http://benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/DEA.asp

at the same time as the California fee waiver

https://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetServices/Pages/College-Fee-Waiver.aspx

Can we switch off?  My wife has no expiring time frame and my children have a few years to go.  So I want to be informed of the better option or switching.  The language reads concurrent.  For chapter 35 it makes you choose an irrevocable choice between it and the FRY scholarship if applicable.  So I am wondering if its the same deal here.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

There are some pluses to the waiver...would your children fall under Plan B?

I am in NY and some told me, when I used my Chapter 35 that I also was eligible for a Pell Grant.

I never applied, but have the children looked into that...if Cal has this type of financial aid as well? 

Have they sought advice from their college's financial department?

(Maybe they are not yet of college age....and if so I am glad you are looking into all options now.)

just to add:

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/california-state-veterans-benefits.html

I have found the VA web site is not a good source for all DEA related questions, but Military.com is better.

They have a large discussion area there as well and that might provide you with up to date information, hopefully from vets who also have had to help their children make these choices.

The Fry Scholarship is discussed here somewhere under a search as well.

Chapter 35 has one drawback....the Chap 35er must pay the tuition for each semester themselves, and then VA will kick in and reimburse them.

VA makes sure they actually are actively taking  the course and then they send the reimbursement.

For some reason I got my Chap 35 checks by mail even though I had direct deposit for my DIC.

I got three DEA checks the same weeks after some sort of screw up via AMU and VA and was very worried that the bank would question 3 checks from the VA at the same time, but they didn't.

The reimbursement amount was fairly close to the tuition amounts I paid . It is figured up as to whether regular classes or accelerated classes are taken.

Books can be Very expensive. DEA does not cover books or supplies.

I got a book fee waiver from the Marine Corps Association. But this was  a Military school so probably all students got that.

There are always ways to try to get book fee waivers and every college also has a used text book program.

I had to get a new PC when I started at AMU because it was an on line college and my Marine Corps Professor called me once from Quantico to tell me my cover page for a thesis was one pixel off. He gave me an A- instead of a A+.

I found after getting half my degree at a traditional campus college, that on line courses are very hard work, often due to the proficiency expected because of the 'computer' factor.

On the other hand they saved me travel times and looking for a parking spot on a cold college campus sometimes at night.

And they had a nice cafeteria.

I lived on Chinese food take outs during many on line semesters at AMU because I didn't have the time to really cook here. Somehow I managed to be at hadit during those years and maintain my home too and my veteran daughter got me to re opened a claim I had the same year I began AMU courses.....and that involved an incredible amount of work,research ,and time.And my daughter was right. That ended up being the biggest claim I ever won.

We have other DEA info here from those of us who have used the program or our children did, available under a hadit search for Chapter 35..

Edited by Berta

Plan B of the calvet California fee waiver would mean I passed.  However plan a I am eligible for.  The kids range between 13 and 2.  My wife can benefit from it now with no explanation.  I have not spoke to any colleges yet, honestly they usually have no idea, in my experience with the GI Bill I feel better asking you guys with the hope of finding government codes authorizing it so I am in control of the truth behind the options available.

3 hours ago, Berta said:

just to add:

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/california-state-veterans-benefits.html

I have found the VA web site is not a good source for all DEA related questions, but Military.com is better.

They have a large discussion area there as well and that might provide you with up to date information, hopefully from vets who also have had to help their children make these choices.

The Fry Scholarship is discussed here somewhere under a search as well.

Chapter 35 has one drawback....the Chap 35er must pay the tuition for each semester themselves, and then VA will kick in and reimburse them.

VA makes sure they actually are actively taking  the course and then they send the reimbursement.

For some reason I got my Chap 35 checks by mail even though I had direct deposit for my DIC.

I got three DEA checks the same weeks after some sort of screw up via AMU and VA and was very worried that the bank would question 3 checks from the VA at the same time, but they didn't.

The reimbursement amount was fairly close to the tuition amounts I paid . It is figured up as to whether regular classes or accelerated classes are taken.

Books can be Very expensive. DEA does not cover books or supplies.

I got a book fee waiver from the Marine Corps Association. But this was  a Military school so probably all students got that.

There are always ways to try to get book fee waivers and every college also has a used text book program.

I had to get a new PC when I started at AMU because it was an on line college and my Marine Corps Professor called me once from Quantico to tell me my cover page for a thesis was one pixel off. He gave me an A- instead of a A+.

I found after getting half my degree at a traditional campus college, that on line courses are very hard work, often due to the proficiency expected because of the 'computer' factor.

On the other hand they saved me travel times and looking for a parking spot on a cold college campus sometimes at night.

And they had a nice cafeteria.

I lived on Chinese food take outs during many on line semesters at AMU because I didn't have the time to really cook here. Somehow I managed to be at hadit during those years and maintain my home too and my veteran daughter got me to re opened a claim I had the same year I began AMU courses.....and that involved an incredible amount of work,research ,and time.And my daughter was right. That ended up being the biggest claim I ever won.

We have other DEA info here from those of us who have used the program or our children did, available under a hadit search for Chapter 35..

So under chapter 35 they would get the current ( $1,021.00 ) plus tuition reimbursement?  Or just the  $1,021.00

http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/resources/benefits_resources/rates/ch35/ch35rates100115.asp

If so I missed the reimbursement portion of what it pay.  I thought it only pays the stipend alone, in which you pay to the school.

It depends on whether they are half time,3/4 time , or full time ,etc as the chart shows.

Sometimes I was 1/2 time, sometimes full time, and as I mentioned the accelerated courses I took ( my choice there) obviously were less in time, so less in  tuition, and then less  in stipend.

The current $1,021 is the full tuition reimbursement for full time, non accelerated courses.

I graduated in 2007 so maybe things have changed a little but I think that is the current chart rate.

Please try the Mil.com link for more info because VA gives us as little info they can ,at their web site, on many VA benefits.

Hopefully others will chime in here too.

I always try to remind all that if a delimiting Chapter 35 date runs out, for a survivor of a deceased vet, who is eligible under Chap 35,  a successful additional award can bring you a better date...in this way.

Husband died with 100% P & T for SC PTSD. My delimiting Chap 35 entitlement date due to that award was ten years after he died.

Because my daughter insisted I re open the death claim ( 1151 DIC to direct SC due to AO DMII DIC ) I was awarded a better EED for Chap 35 and then was able to recover about 6 or 8 thousand I had paid to AMU after my initial Chap 35 date ran out....because of the new award. 2009

Also I remind that anyone with a veteran adult child who is eligible for Chapter 35, will get their years of military service added to their entitlement date.

Example: My daughter filed for her Chap 35 award and after a brief CUE situation, she gained 7 additional years due to her initial entitlement date, for the full 7 years she was in the Armed Forces.

I need to look into this....reminding myself here as 2 subsequent awards I got changed both her Chap 35 date and mine....

She has a BS already and paid for it all herself ( she doesn't want to deal with the VA)  but will seek Masters at AMU and hopefully Chap 35 will still  pay for some or all of that. The AO DMII death claim was awarded in 2009 but the AO IHD death claim was awarded in 2012  so that one in 2012 should control DEA entitlement date now.