VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD claim added to existing bipolar

Rate this question

Tat2drew

Question

Hello all. I am new to this forum and I have read many of the stories found here in the past some of you seem very knowledgeable and I'm hoping for some answers or insight. I'll begin by saying I was medically retired in Nov of 2014 with 9 years of service as an 11B. I was retired initially at 50% for bipolar 1 disorder but was service connected at 0% for shoulder dislocations. Since my transition I have had issues with maintaining meaningful employment and social life.. I have filed a claim for an increase on my shoulder due to several dislocations (since I was discharged) and also PTSD . my question is since I am now at 70% for the bipolar( after mandatory reevaluation and now placed on PDRL) will they pyramid my two symptoms and give me a higher rating with the two MH conditions? I understand you can only be compensated for 1 but with multiple MH conditions will it effect my rating.. I am not worried about proving my stressors as I am a purple heart and bronze Star  recipient.. Also with my shoulder I was only rated at 0% .. What are my odds of getting atleast 10% for that .. Thanks you all for what you do and any advice. God bless.

Drew. 

Below is my timeline.. Stuck in prep for decision currently. 

Filed claim 9/21/15

C&p exams 11/19/15

Gathering of evidence 11/22/15

Prep for decision 3/2/16...

2 answers to this question

Tat2Drew, if you could post the c&p exam results for your shoulder, the senior members could give you some help on what the rating should be, with personal info redacted. As far as having multiple mh disorders, the VA rates based on severity of symptoms, so basically you could have one or three, it mostly depends on how badly they interfere with your daily living. Good Luck to you, and thank you for your service!

I too have Bipolar and PTSD. They considered my Bipolar secondary to the PTSD. To answer your question they take both of them into account and how they affect your daily living. My initial rating was 70% PTSD. I applied for TDUI and I believe they took the fact that I am Bipolar 1 with rapid cycling into account along with the PTSD. It's hard enough to maintain a job with PTSD let alone cycling every 6-8 weeks :(