VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Helping a Korea Vet probono, trying to corroborate his story from Army's 622 MP unit 1954.

Rate this question

Stetson Vet Clinic

Question

I am a law student providing probono representation to a Korea War Veteran for his VA Disability claim. I’m on here today because we need your help to finish the job. Our client’s orders do not show that he was stationed where he says he was. If you know someone who was in the Army’s 622 MP Company in/around February 1954, or who was familiar with assignments to protect/defend water towers in Korea, please contact me. You would be making a world of difference for a fellow Vet.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I highly recommend that you go over the Korean War Project site:

http://koreanwar.org/

The info there is overwhelming and his unit should be found there, with a unit history.

I did a radio show with the Korean Project site men many years ago that might be in our radio blog here ( maybe not, it might have been with another radio station) and I will try to find it, if it is here.....

The site however should have some contact info for the Barkers who have consistently developed this site for many years.

Also USA 622 MPs probably also have a site as well.

Do you have his SMRs and Personnel file from his service period?

Is this the first claim he ever filed? If not do you have a copy of his C file?

What is the disability he is claiming?

Have you gone over the Chronic Presumptive regulations, available here under a search?

Where does he say he was stationed in Korea?

I see that VBN gave the same link as I did....

and asked the same questions I did too.....

If you update that thread there with any more info please let us know here as well...

They mentioned the Lookin for comments and I think there were a few more than two as to 622 MPs.

Is there any designation after the 622 MP , such as infantry or any other unit description?

One VBN member asked about his DD 214.... does it show overseas service and then the corresponding service period?

The Korean War Project site has lots of maps...maybe by looking at a map he could determine better where he was.

There are other ways to prove foreign service, also.  Does the Veteran's DD214 show he was awarded certain medals?  These are frequently given out to combat Vets.  Check that.  

Does the Vets records show TDY (temporary duty).  This can sometimes list the "permanent" duty.  VA loves to overlook those.

The Veteran could have gotten combat pay, which may be reflected in Social security records for foreign service.  You can look up his pay and compare it with social security records to see if the discrepency indicates combat pay.  My son did not get "combat" pay when he was in Iraq, but taxes were waived when serving overseas, so that, too is reflected in his pay.    

My friend Alex Graham was shot in Vietnam and airlifted out, nearly bleeding to death.  The VA says they cant prove Vietnam service, so its not unusual for VA to pull this stuff.  

You see, he was apparently treated at a foreign hosptial that did not have good records.  

Remember, too, the law requires the VA consider his "lay statements".  Further, the Veteran is competent to describe what country he served in.  This does not require a medical degree to look up at the airport and see a sign that says, "Welcome to Korea" in a foreign language.  The VA has to consider the Veterans sworn testimony, and can not reject it purely on the bases that he is an "interested party".  If the facts are consistent with his testimony they should have to award it.  If he swore he was in Korea from 1964-1966, then he better be able to explain an exam in Ft. Benning Georgia in 1965 Tho, such as being on leave.  He does not want to leave out explaining such a detail, tho, as the VA will use that Ft. Benning exam against him, concluding his testimony is not credible.  

Veterans who go overseas also have to have certain shots that stateside Vets do not.  The record that this Vet got a particular shot is evidence the Vet served overseas, corroborating his testimony.    

The VA wont connect these dots.  You have to.  The law says the Vet is to be given the benefit of the doubt.  So, if the Vet got a Korean combat medal, got shots for overseas duty, and pay for combat duty, this supports the Veterans lay statements he serves in Korea putting it in equipose, at a minimum.  

Edited by broncovet

Great points Broncovet and a DD 214 might not reveal all the awards a veteran should have received.

The DD 149 form (available here at hadit) can correct that, if anything is missing,and then send the veteran a corrected DD 215.

Ask your Veteran to provide a detail about his foreign service that only a person who would serve there is likely to know.  

For example, my son remarked to me that he was suprised their wasnt trash everywhere here, like their was in IRAQ.  He explained that the bombings "wiped out" most of the infrastructure, so there was no trash pickup.  So, the locals used the "window" to throw out their trash, and it blows everywhere, so the ground is covered with trash.  

This is something that only someone who was there would likely know.  Ask him for some of his Korea stories..about their culture, etc. 

My son related that "gas is sold" by 6 year old kids with 2 lite pop bottles filled with gasoline.  No gas stations..those have been blown up.