VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated "Not Service Connected" what can i do?

Rate this question

Cobra4v

Question

When my Active Duty contract ended in 2012 I met with a benefit's rep who started notating issues I was going to claim. Among those issues was Restless Leg Syndrome. Once I departed from the service, I was sent a letter which advised medical record's were needed as evidence for my claim's. At the time, I didn't have my record and contacted the VA advising I would not be claiming RLS because I didn't have documentation. I was advised by a VA rep I could reopen the claim at any time. RLS showed as "Not Service Connected" in my E benefits profile. 

Once I obtained my records, I sorted through and obtained the medical record showing the complaint of RLS along with the sleep study. I reopened the claim in the beginning of March and it now shows in my "History" folder as completed. A browse through my E Benefits profile under Disabilities shows Not Service Connected. I investigated further and went under New Claim to check my active disabilities and RLS still shows as Not Service Connected. There is no "Effective Date" notated under the Disabilities section for this issue. I contacted the VA and inquired about my rating which has not changed. The counselor advised the letter was mailed to me today.

At this point it looks as if they did not approve my claim. I am wondering if it wasn't approved because of the time frame which the claim sat.

What options do I have from this point? 

Edited by Cobra4v

I received my packet today from the VA.

Restless Leg Syndrome

Explanation

*The evidence from VAMC Orlando is not new and material evidence because it does not establish a fact necessary to substantiate the claim and does not raise a reasonable possibility of substantiating the claim.

*A claimant may reopen a finally adjudicated claim by submitting new and material evidence. New means that the evidence has not been considered before and material means it applies to the specific issue for which you were previously denied. New and material evidence must raise a reasonable possibility, that when considered with all the evidence or simply be redundant (repetitive) or cumulative of that which we had when we previously decided your claim.

*The evidence does not show a current diagnosed disability. The evidence you submitted is not new and material. Therefore, your claim is not reopened. Although you raised the possibility that more evidence exists, you did not submit it. 

The same explanation was for my bilateral hand condition and wrist condition. Those two are secondary to my back injury i have been getting treatment for. 

Any advice? Idk how to get new evidence for RLS since I have already had the sleep study and complained about it several times.