VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

From preparation for notifcation to review of evidence

Rate this question

Platoonman

Question

Hello everyone, I've been reading some good content but i kind of need some guidance or some opinions about my process. I'm from Oklahoma and I submitted a claim for PTSD on ebennies. I went to my exam and the psychiatrists said she believes that i suffer from PTSD.  I believe all my supporting documents are in line, i.e.,DD214, combat action badge and a statement from my wife.  After my exam the process went fairly quick but when it went to preparation for notification back to review of evidence . I'm concerned because i looked at i VA letter and i don't see a rating yet. Do you believe that i was denied or why did it go back to review of  evidence? I called and they said that its finalizing and now its in pending decision approval. I still don't see a rating on my VA letter. What do you all think?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Sadly this is not unusual at all bud. My last claim went from Prep for Decision and Prep for Notif back to review of evidence more then once. Most of the time just means that the VA is either questioning a DRs Notes from the Exam, or you claim is being reviewed for Accuracy. I just had my exam a few weeks ago and already at Prep for Notification due to complete in the next few days. It can be a good or bad thing, just hard to say without official status. Just try not to go crazy, and hope for the best. Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless!!!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hi Platoonman,
Welcome to Hadit!

It's not unusual for the status to bounce around like that. When I was checking the last claims I filed, the ebenefits status never changed.

Odds are what happened is that they were doing a quality review and someone found something and it got kicked back for correction. Also, in a lot of cases there might be additional disabilities which could be considered secondary to the PTSD. For example, sleep problems/sleep apnea, hypertension, stomach problems, TMJ, etc... If you were given medication to help treat your PTSD, they are also supposed to consider the side effects of the meds too. The VA is "supposed" to explore these for the potential of secondary SC, but sometimes they often don't..

Having a combat badge and a diagnosis of PTSD from the doc are very positive.

One other thing to consider is that in some cases veterans might also have one or more additional diagnosis for other MH issues like depression. The VA only provides one single MH rating regardless of the # of diagnosed issues. The rating is based on the impact they have on your professional and social life.

You can find a list of the rating table here:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div5;node=38:1.0.1.1.5#se38.1.4_1130

Your A8 letter won't be accurate until the claim is complete.  You got the cart before the horse my friend.  Try your best to be patient, eBenefits is rarely accurate and my last claim jumped all over the place several times before it was completed.