VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Historical Claims Question

Rate this question

ESV12B

Question

Got a letter from ebenefits breaking down drill pay I owed for being in the reserves and collecting VA compensation in 2013. The letter in the mail which cam this year is explain Drill Pay (FY 13) Withholdings begin on 01JAN2016 and ends 29JAN2016.

That is all fine and dandy. I get understand the law with collecting both so you have to pay one back. VA compensation being the smart choice. I know I had paid back drill pay but couldn't remember if it was 2013 or 2014.

A historical claim on ebenefits shows that a claim was submitted on 5/30/2014 and claim closed on 11/19/2014 for Drill Pay (FY13). Status shows complete.

Did they take back the FY13 drill pay twice?

It wasn't for FY2014 drill pay because the most recent paperwork I received shows below the amount withheld for Drill Pay FY14 begins 01FEB2016 and ends 07APR2016. Ebenefits has no claim in my historical claims list for Drill Pay FY2014. FY13 however does show up there as a completed claim already.

Just confused. Maybe they didn't take money for FY13 back in 2014. I'm digging through letters from the VA but I am pretty sure they withheld this payment already.

Does this seem correct? Or make any sense?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

First, let me say I am not familiar with the eBenefits letter that goes out related to drill pay.

With that said... The VA computer system will not permit multiple drill pay withholdings for the same fiscal year, so there is no chance they withheld 2013 twice. The most common error on drill pay is withholding for an incorrect number of days. 

I do know that the standard drill pay letter recaps all previous drill pay withholdings, which can make it appear they are withholding the same year multiple times, because each time you get a letter it repeats the previous withholdings. If you think something is amiss you can request a financial audit of your file. Essentially, the VA finance department will review your file from day one and confirm all payments were made correctly. It will take a long time before you get the results, but there will be no doubt as to the accuracy. If you choose to do this just submit VA Form 21-4138 and request a "financial audit of your file".