VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CHAMP VA

Rate this question

GARYLINN

Question

Had a very interesting afternoon...try the VA telling me that they don't service spouses, only vcts....I educated them of CHAMP VA real fast.

I talked with a rep and then her boss and everyone except me said you can be seen at the VA...I was treading water all alone and you know me?  I was getting pissed.

Time to call a big wig at the VA, which I decided to do.  I left a nice long message on his voice mail...He actually returned it before close on Friday;  I was impressed.

He was not warm and fuzzy at first...."Hello Gary...returning your call...what is it that you want?"

I'll give you the reader's digest version...He said lots of folks are ignorant of this program and do not know what to do with it.  He, however, was not ignorant of it but wasn't real cool with WITH MY WIFE coming there at first.  Now I know why there are not many Champ VA patients at the VA...they simply are not too welcomed....OH WELL. 

By the end of the conversation, he warmed up to me and even thanked me for my service.  He even suggested that my wife MIGHT be able to be seen in Somersworth which is a small annex a few miles from home.  

AHHHHHHHHHH, I feel so satisfied.    :-)

4 answers to this question

Not all VA faciliities see veteran dependents under CHAMP VA. Its a billing program for private care to be paid for by VA. VA facilites themselves are not obligated to take on patients under CHAMP VA. 

Note 'May' and 'participating'

Are health care services at VA facilities available to CHAMPVA beneficiaries?

Under the CHAMPVA Inhouse Treatment Initiative (CITI), CHAMPVA beneficiaries may receive cost-free health care services at participating VA facilities.

My husband and children have champva, they go to any doctor we choose.  I doubt my husband would ever want to use the VA honestly (and he is a veteran).  If I had champva, I would be able to choose where I went instead of waiting for 5 months to see my psychiatrist because my old one moved.  I have had wonderful care (for the most part) at the VA but I would still rather have a choice to use doctor like my husband and children do.  I would just find a good doctor out in town, champva doesn't have high deductibles or high copays for anything and it is easy to use from our experience.

On 5/13/2016 at 5:27 PM, brokensoldier244th said:

Not all VA faciliities see veteran dependents under CHAMP VA. Its a billing program for private care to be paid for by VA. VA facilites themselves are not obligated to take on patients under CHAMP VA. 

Note 'May' and 'participating'

Are health care services at VA facilities available to CHAMPVA beneficiaries?

Under the CHAMPVA Inhouse Treatment Initiative (CITI), CHAMPVA beneficiaries may receive cost-free health care services at participating VA facilities.

I am well schooled about CHAMP VA.  I know that the VA facility does NOT have to accept one's spouse, however, I had done my homework.  The VA in  Manchester, New Hampshire does accept CHAMPVA at this time.  I knew this when I called.  To receive answers like, "I never heard of this program before"  and "we don't service spouses here!"   It really annoyed me and I took them head on with a very indignant attitude.  I called the patient advocate and told her my next call would be to the head of the hospital....it didn't have to go any further...all of a sudden it was okay for my wife to come right over and get her pretty picture taken and given a Primary care physician ... ASAP!   Funny how those things work out.  "The squeeky wheel gets the oil"    HOWEVER, I make it a point to only squeek when really necessary.  This was one of those times.