VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pes planus denied

Rate this question

vlobo

Question

So I'm new to this forum, but I have really enjoyed reading all the great information you all post. Thanks in advance for that! 

I am currently in a three year battle with the VA for pes planus, plantar fasciitis. On my entry exam, the doctor noted " Pes planus, mild: asymptomatic." Shortly after I got out, maybe 18 months, I went to the doctor because my feet were bothering me, and had been bothering me for quite some time. The podiatrist diagnosed the following: 

Forefoot adducted to the refract, high arched feet, hammertoe, decreased ankle dorsiflexion, decreased sty eversion, both feet and he also noted that both feet shoed pain to palpation of plantar-medial heel. "Assessment: plantar fasciitis b/l., pain, metadductus, equines, ingrown nail hallux lat b/l."

An ultrasound test revealed hypo echoic signals consistent with plantar fasciitis, b/l. I was pretty much told to stretch, get insoles and take motrin 800. My big question is: can I even get this service connected since I was out when I saw the doctor? I know the doctor put on the records that I told him I had pain since I was in the military and he put a time frame. My dogs are always barking and those insoles do nothin (and are like 60 bucks and not well constructed). I was told to request a hearing with the DRO and I got a letter saying my hearing is on June 6. My VSO told me to show up an hour before my hearing and meet with them briefly. I contacted the VA a few days ago regarding a different claim and they told me they don't have my service medical records. So, I'm a bit confused. I uploaded the records I have to eBenefits and I sent copies via certified mail as well. The original denial letter said it was not acquired during my enlistment. I am also seeing the DRO for a hip injury that was diagnosed as a stress fracture. My private physician said he feels it was misdiagnosed in 2003 and it is actually a torn labral tendon. I have uploaded the documents from the ortho and the podiatrist to benefits and send copies of those as well. Any suggestions, insight, comments for me? Anything you all can give me will be great. Thanks! 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

VHA -vs-VBA = two separate critters....

Did the VHA or VBA say they dont have your SMR's?  Did you get any medical care/diagnosis while on active duty, this is a big thing.  Boots on the ground running every day make the feet condition worse, you need the IMO to say that the active duty running routine compounded your condition.  If it was mild when you enlisted, and worse when you were discharged, your SMR should reflect this.  The VBA, that processes the claims, is obligated to get the SMR's.

15 hours ago, vlobo said:

So I'm new to this forum, but I have really enjoyed reading all the great information you all post. Thanks in advance for that! 

I am currently in a three year battle with the VA for pes planus, plantar fasciitis. On my entry exam, the doctor noted " Pes planus, mild: asymptomatic." Shortly after I got out, maybe 18 months, I went to the doctor because my feet were bothering me, and had been bothering me for quite some time. The podiatrist diagnosed the following: 

Forefoot adducted to the refract, high arched feet, hammertoe, decreased ankle dorsiflexion, decreased sty eversion, both feet and he also noted that both feet shoed pain to palpation of plantar-medial heel. "Assessment: plantar fasciitis b/l., pain, metadductus, equines, ingrown nail hallux lat b/l."

An ultrasound test revealed hypo echoic signals consistent with plantar fasciitis, b/l. I was pretty much told to stretch, get insoles and take motrin 800. My big question is: can I even get this service connected since I was out when I saw the doctor? I know the doctor put on the records that I told him I had pain since I was in the military and he put a time frame. My dogs are always barking and those insoles do nothin (and are like 60 bucks and not well constructed). I was told to request a hearing with the DRO and I got a letter saying my hearing is on June 6. My VSO told me to show up an hour before my hearing and meet with them briefly. I contacted the VA a few days ago regarding a different claim and they told me they don't have my service medical records. So, I'm a bit confused. I uploaded the records I have to eBenefits and I sent copies via certified mail as well. The original denial letter said it was not acquired during my enlistment. I am also seeing the DRO for a hip injury that was diagnosed as a stress fracture. My private physician said he feels it was misdiagnosed in 2003 and it is actually a torn labral tendon. I have uploaded the documents from the ortho and the podiatrist to benefits and send copies of those as well. Any suggestions, insight, comments for me? Anything you all can give me will be great. Thanks! 

i just got custom orthotics for my feet. i immediately felt relief. the orthotics fit like a glove and help me more than what the va usually gives you. i got the first pair. but my podiatrist told me if the off the shelf brand helped with the foot pain, she would order the custom ones. have you tried to get custom ones from the va?

PWRSLM- I got medical care for my knee, hip and I complained about foot pain- they only addressed the hip with a bone scan and gave me motrin for the rest. When I called the VA last week, the young lady told me they could not find my SMR's and the VA replied to an inquiry that was sent by the VA representative saying: "We are attempting to obtain all available medical treatment records pertaining to you via DPRIS. We do not have your complete military service treatment records for your full period of active duty. We are awaiting a response for a request for records." Is it normal for medical records to be misplaced? What if they don't find them? Does that mean I'm out of luck? I have sent off what I have- hopefully that works, but I cannot find an exit exam in the records I have. 

iceturkee- I bought the off the shelf brand from my podiatrist's office. He told me to go back if I needed more or custom ones, but it gets so expensive. The VA doctor did not even look at my feet during the C & P exam, he only looked at the range of motion for my hip and sent me for x rays. I will see my podiatrist next week and ask about custom ones again. 

My podiatrist wrote in his evaluation, which is part of the medical records that I requested from his office, that he felt that my feet were impacted negatively while I was in the military. I also asked him to fill out a DBQ. Does the DBQ make a difference? Thanks guys!