VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

3 months and counting on DRO decision and now I am facing more surgery!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

Well good afternoon my fellow Vet's!!!

I am really deflated right now....It's going on 3 months since I had my DRO review hearing with no end in sight.  I was told that it could be weeks to months to up to a year for the decision.  What erk's me is the fact that I had my hearing why can't the DRO take the time to review and come to a ruling?  It's so frustrating!  I am going on 3 years since my initial claim and almost 2 years since I filed my NOD.  I understand there are others in the same boat or worse boat and I do sympathize with all my fellow Vet's!

Now on top of this, most of you know my story.....I broke my right foot in two places on Christmas Eve.  I had surgery on January 6th, 2016 and I filed an FDC January 12th, 2016.  I filed that my left ankle was the cause of my right foot injury.  I was granted 100% temporary convalescence for 4 months due to my left ankle giving out on me and causing my right foot injury.  Now if you all remember, I have my NOD since 2014 trying to get my right foot/ankle and left toe S/C which was denied in 2014.  My medical records back up my s/c as well as my doctor's letters (IMO) that state my injuries are directly related to my active duty.  But here I sit awaiting the NOD decision.

Well yesterday I took a bad tumble and fell down the stairs causing sever bruising and swelling to my left ankle and left leg.  I am sitting here at the West Palm VA as we speak awaiting to see my Podiatrist for the results of the X-rays BUT while I had my visit with him today, he had another doctor come in and look at my X-rays for my right foot and both of the doctor's state I need revision surgery to my right foot because the bone graft is not "uniting" the bone together.  The Podiatrist I had do my surgery in January put pins/screws/plate in the one fracture but only bone graft in the other.  Since then the bone is separating and the doctor feels the surgery is necessary and will require me to be out about 2-3 months once again!  It's my right foot so I can't drive and it's frustrating!  On top of this, my left foot/2nd metatarsal toe has two screws in it that are "coming up to the skin" and they feel that at the same time they do the right foot surgery they need to look into that!

I literally just got back on my feet and was feeling okay!  My feet/ankles SUCK!  I feel so depressed!

I just want to cry!

I will update you with my X-ray findings but I needed to VENT!!!

8 hours ago, Gastone said:

Who rep'd you at your DRO Hearing? Do they know your DRO's name? Maybe a personal discussion with the DRO, regarding your situation, could light a fire.

Unless your Homeless or Terminal, chances on getting a Rush DRO Decision are very slim. You or your Rep signed-off immediately with the DRO,  that you had no further N & M Evidence to submit post Hearing, right?

Strictly my lay opinion, an unrealistic (less than a year) "HOPE" of an Expedient DRO Decision, hurts rather than helps your MH conditions. Do what NOD recommended regarding a "Convalescent Rating."

If your not currently seeing a VA MH Clinician, ask your PCP for a referral. Chronic Pain and Depression, go hand in hand.

Semper Fi

DAV rep from WACO Texas.  I just found out my DRO's name.  My DAV rep spoke to him yesterday and she called me back.  Apparently there is a back log on decisions as well so it can be 6-12 months for a decision from the time of my hearing which was in February 2016.

I have been in MH treatment for years and it's helping me a lot.

• HadIt.com Elder

Navy4life

I was affraid something like this would happen  when you mention the Orginal DRO that was to hear your case was out and they bring in another DRO with less experince  and after the Hearing you were told by the DRO ''give it 60 days''

usually a veteran can kinda tell how the Hearing went rather or not it is in his/her favor before you leave the Hearing(usually).

That DRO you had at your Hearing should have  in my opinion decided your claim at your hearing....so there must be something holding it back as to something he don't understand? or maybe they want to try to decided on all your contentions at once?  and your EED for retro? ,if thats what it is? besure you get your soc...or ssoc...if they deny

not to much you can do now? that I know of!

Sorry this is happen to you..all you really can do is just wait  and ever now and then check on your claim calling the 1-800#

sorry to hear about your Falling down the stairs and brusing up your foot&leg  but at least nothing was broke so thats good...just becareful ...that bad foot can and will turn on you and cause you to fall at any given time..

Call about your DRO Hearing claim ever once in a while and check ebenny's ever so offten  but not every day   if you do you will go crazy but let them know your concerned  about your claim....just keep busy and get your mind off of it for a while.

UPDATE!

Still awaiting the DRO decision from my DRO hearing.  I was told by my DAV rep in Waco that I have a 'decision date' in the system for September 2016.  Apparently they are extremely back logged even after the hearings are held.

Also, my podiatrist decide to have me do physical therapy on my foot before we consider surgery to the other broken bone that was simply grafted.  I hope the PT helps but so far nothing has changed.  If the PT doesn't help, I will have to have the surgery.

I already have another surgery schedule to rectify another surgery that wasn't successful and that is next month.  I am a bit tired of "surgeries" so we will see...

Just want to update everyone!  I hope to hear about my DRO hearing decision by September!!!

UPDATE!!! 5 months and counting and still no word on my DRO hearing out of WACO office!  I called my DAV rep last week and she was so dumb that she said I already had a decision back in March!  No lady that was my FDC claim....She then went on to say that oh well you have a long wait.  So I asked how long and she said they are working 2013 claims and even ones that have already had their DRO hearings.  So I guess so much for the Mar-Sept 2016 window for a decision???

Well I guess it is a waiting game at this point right????? LOL

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
21 hours ago, Navy4life said:

UPDATE!!! 5 months and counting and still no word on my DRO hearing out of WACO office!  I called my DAV rep last week and she was so dumb that she said I already had a decision back in March!  No lady that was my FDC claim....She then went on to say that oh well you have a long wait.  So I asked how long and she said they are working 2013 claims and even ones that have already had their DRO hearings.  So I guess so much for the Mar-Sept 2016 window for a decision???

Well I guess it is a waiting game at this point right????? LOL

I have had some pretty bad DAV reps, but that takes the cake. Unfortunately, your DAV rep might actually be right about the wait. My DRO appointment took a bit over 18 months at the Montgomery, AL, VARO. The time does vary between DRO's, but because we do not have the ability to peer inside the VA's ivory tower, we have no way to determine exactly when the appointments would be scheduled. The estimate we are given is actually a guesstimate - designed to keep us guessing...

1 minute ago, Vync said:

I have had some pretty bad DAV reps, but that takes the cake. Unfortunately, your DAV rep might actually be right about the wait. My DRO appointment took a bit over 18 months at the Montgomery, AL, VARO. The time does vary between DRO's, but because we do not have the ability to peer inside the VA's ivory tower, we have no way to determine exactly when the appointments would be scheduled. The estimate we are given is actually a guesstimate - designed to keep us guessing...

Vync;

My frustration is the fact my DRO hearing is OVER!!!  I had it and yet here I sit waiting for the decision.  You would think the DRO would make a decision sooner than later so that he/she doesn't forget what happened at the hearing and take the time to finish the damn NOD..Ugh...so frustrated and just want this over....