VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

3 months and counting on DRO decision and now I am facing more surgery!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

Well good afternoon my fellow Vet's!!!

I am really deflated right now....It's going on 3 months since I had my DRO review hearing with no end in sight.  I was told that it could be weeks to months to up to a year for the decision.  What erk's me is the fact that I had my hearing why can't the DRO take the time to review and come to a ruling?  It's so frustrating!  I am going on 3 years since my initial claim and almost 2 years since I filed my NOD.  I understand there are others in the same boat or worse boat and I do sympathize with all my fellow Vet's!

Now on top of this, most of you know my story.....I broke my right foot in two places on Christmas Eve.  I had surgery on January 6th, 2016 and I filed an FDC January 12th, 2016.  I filed that my left ankle was the cause of my right foot injury.  I was granted 100% temporary convalescence for 4 months due to my left ankle giving out on me and causing my right foot injury.  Now if you all remember, I have my NOD since 2014 trying to get my right foot/ankle and left toe S/C which was denied in 2014.  My medical records back up my s/c as well as my doctor's letters (IMO) that state my injuries are directly related to my active duty.  But here I sit awaiting the NOD decision.

Well yesterday I took a bad tumble and fell down the stairs causing sever bruising and swelling to my left ankle and left leg.  I am sitting here at the West Palm VA as we speak awaiting to see my Podiatrist for the results of the X-rays BUT while I had my visit with him today, he had another doctor come in and look at my X-rays for my right foot and both of the doctor's state I need revision surgery to my right foot because the bone graft is not "uniting" the bone together.  The Podiatrist I had do my surgery in January put pins/screws/plate in the one fracture but only bone graft in the other.  Since then the bone is separating and the doctor feels the surgery is necessary and will require me to be out about 2-3 months once again!  It's my right foot so I can't drive and it's frustrating!  On top of this, my left foot/2nd metatarsal toe has two screws in it that are "coming up to the skin" and they feel that at the same time they do the right foot surgery they need to look into that!

I literally just got back on my feet and was feeling okay!  My feet/ankles SUCK!  I feel so depressed!

I just want to cry!

I will update you with my X-ray findings but I needed to VENT!!!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, Navy4life said:

Vync;

My frustration is the fact my DRO hearing is OVER!!!  I had it and yet here I sit waiting for the decision.  You would think the DRO would make a decision sooner than later so that he/she doesn't forget what happened at the hearing and take the time to finish the damn NOD..Ugh...so frustrated and just want this over....

Oops, my fault there - feeling like Monday over here.

After my DRO hearing, the DRO said it could take one to six months. My hearing was recorded and the DRO took notes. Because "de novo" essentially means "new look", they had to go back and look at all my evidence a second time just to be certain.

I know the image below explains how you feel about the situation. When I was waiting for my results, I was feeling the exact same way... I'm sorry the VA system is cause to such frustration to us veterans. We deserve better.

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Vync;

I went with informal hearing with the DRO and he took great notes, asked questions and I even provided a binder of all evidence and what we discussed.  I did find out that it has a window date of Mar-Sept 2016 for a decision so we will see!

Yes I feel like that picture!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Heh, when I went, I didn't know there was such a thing as formal vs. informal. They didn't swear me in like when I went before the BVA.

I hope you get good news!

I feel for you. I am in CT and am going on 10 months after my hearing. Went to Courtney's office and got some menendez or something like it retired guy who told me that typically NOD's usually last a couple of years. I told him no they don't, it was a NOD with DRO review. I told him I had another one in 2010 which took 3 months. So I told him I got more help back then and he wasn't doing anything so I declined any further help from him which was none, to which he replies....ok. It must be that I am republican turning independent. I think everything is getting worse from all I hear not better.

• HadIt.com Elder

Navy4life

you should have been contacted by now & you have waited long enough.

I would recommend you email VA Secretary  Bob McDonald  or someone at his office , maybe the new ''under secretary'' Let them know what all is going on with your Claim  with the facts /dates ect,,ect,,,..and what the DRO Mention to you about the timeline on his decision.

(keep the email short as you can but be somewhat detailed)...if we let things like this just pass by waiting to hear  it could take years.

I solely believe our claims /and even decisions gets lost on someone's desk and just shuffled off to the side...simply b/c the Idiot clerks don't know what to do and afraid to ask.

By contacting the higher-ups ( so-to speak) maybe then that will get the Ball rolling.

Everyone I know of that contacted the ''higher-ups Got fast results.

all it takes is one email from the secretary of VA or someone from his office.

jmo

.........................Buck

Edited by Buck52

Buck;

im beyond frustrated. The last time I contacted the higher up's I got my DRO hearing so I'm thinking if I don't get my decision in the time frame it states now of Mar-Sept, I'm going to do the same. 

Mir frustrates me to no end. My decision should have been within the 60 days the DRO STATED IT WOULD BE. Plus my opinion is our hearing and discussion has long gone left his memory. 

UGH!!!