VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No update employment letters in 4 or more years!

Rate this question

Biloxi Bob

Question

I haven't received a employment verification letter in about 4 years. I am 100% TDUI. All my info filed with the VA (St Pete and the clinic in Pensacola) is up-to-date . Should I be concerned about anything? If so, who should I contact?

3 answers to this question

From what I have read the RO sends out a form 21-4140 annually for you to fill out.  Some ROs don't.  You may want to check with your VSO or fill one out yourself and send it certified mail just to make sure you do not lose your TDIU.

The VA IU Award anniversary Date mailing of the 21-4140 was re-instituted in 12 or 13. For a number of years, the VA had discontinued the mailing. The VA's decision to stop the mailing, didn't eliminate the Vet's mandated requirement of the yearly filing. A Vet did so, at his own peril.

Inquiring minds might ask, why did the VA stop for a number of years, then start back up? Must be a Fast Letter or VA Directive somewhere, right?

If you were IU and didn't have earned Income reported to the SSA, most Vets had nothing to worry about. If a Vet were IU and had unreported income, still not much to worry about, except a Pissed off X or neighbor turning them in. Signing the 4140, indicating no employment and little or no earned income, while actually having both, could prove hazardous to your Legal Health, think Mail Fraud. Appealing your potential IU Loss would be the least of your problems.

The 4140 takes less than 10 min to complete and you are required to send it in within (30 or 60?) days of your IU Award anniversary date. Employment (uninterrupted) and Earned Income for Past 12 mos, immediately preceding your IU Award Date. Failure to comply with the filing requirement, could result in an Administrative IU Award Reversal. Why chance it?

Semper Fi