VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA doctor not giving me medication

Rate this topic

Hello all,

I went to my mental health appointment this morning and it is the first time being seen in 2 years.  I stopped working 2 months ago due to my sc disabilities.  My private doctor prescribed me Ativan for the past 2 years. I am on 2mg twice a day. My body is now addicted to it and I told the doctor that I wanted to be tapered off it safely. She asked some questions like if I drink and I said 2 or 3 nights a week. I am being honest by saying I am not an alcoholic. Any ways she agreed and set up a schedule to taper off this drug and prescribed me some other medications.  Well when I get home I get a phone call from her and she said she wants me to come into inpatient detox because of my alcohol and taking Ativan I believe she also thinks I abuse this drug.  I told her I cant be in the VA for a week or more because I am single and live by myself with my therapy dog.  I cant leave my home for a week and further more I know I don't need detox.  So then she said she is not prescribing me anything and that I could have seizures and even die going off this drug cold turkey. Well if she would of tapered me off that would be great.  I have never seen a operation run like this and that's why I dislike getting any treatment at the VA. I don't want any of this in my medical records because I know for now on I will be going through red tape and jumping through hoops to get care because im sure she wrote in my records im an alcoholic., So needless to say I am pretty shaken up because I don't have a plan to get off this drug and now I cant get any medication.  I went there to get help to get off this drug and instead I get treated like a criminal. Please friends is there anything I should do or can do?  Any information would be much appreciated. Thank You and God Bless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Alrons:

I am so saddened to read your story. I was very thankful for VAHC until 2014. When all of a sudden as you will read on the Pain Medication link, everyone and I mean everyone is being treated as Drug Seekers. I was kindly helped by others at this web site to try email to Under Secretary McDonald, which I did and that got attention from some Assistant at the VA; but it did not change anything as far as treating my pain, only red flagged me as a drug seeker- hell bent on Narcotic therapy. Which couldn't be further from the truth! 

So, I will suggest to you: email your Congressman, Under Secretary McDonald, call OIG at eBenefits website (its at the bottom of their page, it says Vets contact us), email Director of Hospital VA you go to But expect to get labeled a rebel.

The newest news I saw was Vets can now speak to their VA Drs. about prescribing Medical Marijuana; altho VA will not dispense. They must allow those states that are legal, must comply.

Here is a petition: maybe if enough of us sign and enough of the private civilians jump on our side we can move Congress to change....make it easier for next generation of Vets.

https://www.change.org/p/veteran-s-administration-stop-denying-pain-medication-to-our-veterans?recruiter=false&utm_source=petitions_share&utm_medium=copylink

• 1 month later...