VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New guy...active duty...C&P question

Rate this question

Plumbob

Question

I officially retire 1 June after 20 years active AF. I started this VA process back in Feb, and had my C&P's done in March at the Columbia MO VA and  I thought they were great.

My claims included lower back, wrists, shoulder, neck, anxiety, ED, acid reflux, fatigue, knees, hearing loss, ringing in ears, breathing, eye issue and I am sure that I am forgetting some.

Anyway during my eye exam, my claim was for my left eye, I have lost pretty much all straight ahead vision in it throughout my career. After that exam they called me back, saying they found something in my right eye and I need to come back. What they found was lesions in my eye. Would I need to file another claim for this, or will it be noted during the claim that is already going on? Guess what I am asking is if something is found during a C&P that is not being claimed, do they throw that in the pile?

I will be taking my DD214 to my VSO on 1 June, and then the process will be rolling is how I take it. The C&P examiner said my active records showed that I had been seen for all my claims, and she was just confirming and everything looked like my records and claims should. I really don't know what I should expect, but hoping for the best.

A lot of good info on here and I have been lurking for months. Thanks for all you do and thanks for your service.

Plumbob, welcome to Hadit and thank you for your service! I would put in a new claim immediately for your lesions in your right eye, from my understanding the eye claim you currently have is for the left. Now, VA is supposed to pick up on new issues, especially conditions found during c&p exams, these are called inferred conditions, but I would still go ahead and file the claim, before your retirement date, so there will be no doubt that you were diagnosed with the lesions during your active service. You don't want to take chances with the VA adding it to your claims, sometimes they do, more often they don't. Please keep in mind that I'm not an expert, so hopefully some other members will chime in as well, but I think its better to be safe, jmo. Good Luck to you on all of your claims, and again, thank you for your service!

Plumbob, you definitely want to upgrade your myhealthevet account to premium, you have to authenticate the account in person to receive the premium, that way you can view all doctors notes, etc. C&P exams often don't show up on myhealthevet unless they were done at a VA medical center, but you can request copies, however since you have not retired yet, were the exams done at a hospital?

Yes, you need a Premium Acct to access certain things, I believe.  I was looking over my decision packet yesterday and noticed a piece of text I had not seen previously, hidden in between some canned info.  It recommended that I claim PAD, deviated septum and scars, etc.  I was under the impression that they had an obligation at the VA to award what they found without a formal claim from the veteran, as per their charter.  Apparently not!  An example:  I claim 'venous reflex disease'.  They awarded 'varicose veins', noted PAD (obviously), but did NOT award it, merely suggested in a footnote that I should file a claim for the additional disabilities. 

I hope my experience above helps shine a light on things for you.  Personally, I would file another claim, however you may want to wait until your BDD (I am assuming) is complete first and THEN file any new claims. You will still be within the '1 year since discharge' timeframe and will be awarded back to your date of retirement, but you lower the chances of delays in your claim.   A caveat; Everything with the VA is a "unique" experience. There is none of that uniformity that you grew accustomed to in the military.  Everyone has a different journey dealing with the VA, I hope yours goes smoothly, good luck!