VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Re-Exam - REPHRASED

Rate this question

MuggleLover

Question

Hello, newbie here. Prior USAF.

Med boarded 6 years ago, which generated the original C&P (which was 5 years ago). The results of that were 50% SC depression with eating disorder NOS (one treatment stint while enlisted at an IOP level) and 20% SC shoulder (2 surgeries while enlisted)

Anyway, they initiated a re-exam. I had two appointments (one for the depression/eating disorder and one for the shoulder).

Originally they lumped the depression and eating disorder together. This time it appeared to be separate as she filled out forms on her laptop one at a time (we did eating disorder first and then depression second) and when I was delving into things later it would appear it was DBQ questions/statements.

Question 1) Is this normal? Are they splitting up the disability into two things?

Question 2) Can you lose service connected? She didn't really ask a lot about my time in the military. This was previously established, however.

I was incredibly honest with her and when she was reading descriptors to me selected a lesser one than she said she was going to on a couple of occasions as she overlooked my present weight due to prolonged documentation of past weight, long history of treatment stints (at the hospitalization level), feeding tubes, etc

The descriptor she selected for eating disorder appears to be the highest one on that DBQ.

Question 3) What does that mean?

A few days after I had that exam I got a phone call from the veterans crisis intervention hotline.

Question 4) Is that normal?

I feel like it's a sign that she actually listened to me... and must have doubted me when I told her that while I have suicidal thoughts, I have no active plan (and that I know the difference - from experience).

---

RE my shoulder

That exam was odd in that doctor didn't use any instrumentation to gauge range of motion. She just looked at me move my arms - told me I wasn't trying hard enough - and then suggested that I had initiated this C&P exam myself to try to get an increase... which I didn't.

Edited by MuggleLover

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

So eBenefits status has changed to "preparing for decision" and it hasn't even been two weeks since the first of the two re-exams (one was contracted through non VA, the other contracted through VES).

i don't know if I should be worried that a decision was made this fast. The shoulder exam seemed super sketchy. But the one by the non VA non VES person seemed thorough... And made me realize that my way of life needs drastic improvement and can be improved... Tempted to see a therapist again (looked one up). I just don't know what to think of everything...

And  I don't even know what I am hoping for exactly. Just to have felt heard I suppose

Edited by MuggleLover

Question 1) Is this normal? Are they splitting up the disability into two things?

My understanding is that eating disorders are considered to be a separate disability from all other mental disorders. See this post:

Question 2) Can you lose service connected? She didn't really ask a lot about my time in the military. This was previously established, however.

Extremely unlikely.

I hope it goes well for you. :O)

All the Best,

Mark