VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare, yes or no? Not sure where to post this.

Rate this topic

I am 100% IU PT, I had the same neuro, psychiatrist, dentist, gyn, etc. for over 10 years. In the last 6 months my psychiatrist transferred, my gyn retired, my dentist mysteriously left and today I went on secure messaging to send my neuro a message about the pain clinic and I am no longer able to message her.  I do have a new neuro in my drop down menu in secure messaging so I am thinking she left too.  This is extremely frustrating and anxiety inducing for me.  I still ahven't seen a new psychiatrist since mine left in Jan., the wait was so long they sent me to a pharmacist to renew my meds and I will see the new psychiatrist in July!  I now have to drive 3 hours each way to see a gyn, a dentist, orthopedic doctor, neuro etc.  This brings me to my big question, should I sign up for medicare and try to see someone locally using it?  I opted out of paying for medicare when I first received SSDI because I saw no need for it honestly, I had received fantastic care for years from my local VA but now I am beginning to think things are getting worse instead of better with the quality of care here.  Any advice?

15 minutes ago, seminoles said:

I am 100% IU PT, I had the same neuro, psychiatrist, dentist, gyn, etc. for over 10 years. In the last 6 months my psychiatrist transferred, my gyn retired, my dentist mysteriously left and today I went on secure messaging to send my neuro a message about the pain clinic and I am no longer able to message her.  I do have a new neuro in my drop down menu in secure messaging so I am thinking she left too.  This is extremely frustrating and anxiety inducing for me.  I still ahven't seen a new psychiatrist since mine left in Jan., the wait was so long they sent me to a pharmacist to renew my meds and I will see the new psychiatrist in July!  I now have to drive 3 hours each way to see a gyn, a dentist, orthopedic doctor, neuro etc.  This brings me to my big question, should I sign up for medicare and try to see someone locally using it?  I opted out of paying for medicare when I first received SSDI because I saw no need for it honestly, I had received fantastic care for years from my local VA but now I am beginning to think things are getting worse instead of better with the quality of care here.  Any advice?

There will be some type of retro pay you'll need to make for not taking part B of Medicare.  At least, when it was first available too you.  I believe you need to be a SSDI recipient for three years. Before Medicare is even accessible to you.  I have no opinion on whether to buy into Medicare.  If you're a combat Veteran and would like MH counseling outside the VAMC. Your closest VetCenter is a very good choice.  I prefer my VetCenter over VAMC MH counseling anyday.  I wish you the best.  Remember, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

1 hour ago, MPsgt said:

There will be some type of retro pay you'll need to make for not taking part B of Medicare.  At least, when it was first available too you.  I believe you need to be a SSDI recipient for three years. Before Medicare is even accessible to you.  I have no opinion on whether to buy into Medicare.  If you're a combat Veteran and would like MH counseling outside the VAMC. Your closest VetCenter is a very good choice.  I prefer my VetCenter over VAMC MH counseling anyday.  I wish you the best.  Remember, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I already know what my penalty will be, I will pay an additional $25 per month so about $145.  I am just so hesitant to pay for it,I am not a combat veteran but I think MST also allows you the VetCenter option?  maybe I am wrong.  I am incredibly disheartened to day with all of the changes to my providers that have given really good care :(  I think I will call the Vet Center and find out if that is an option.  Thanks!!

seminoles...

I did the same thing.  When I got my social security disability, I opted out of medicare part B, thinking it was unnnecessary with VAMC care.  I too, was wrong.  

What I did is wait until Im 65, since that will be next year.   I will opt in to medicare part B.  You see, you can opt in/out of medicare twice..once when you get disabled, and again when you turn 65.  This presumes, of course, you got disabled prior to age 65.  

It will actually work out better for me..I will save months and months of medicare part b premiums, and then opt in at age 65, when Im more likely to need care.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2016 at 2:42 PM, broncovet said:

seminoles...

I did the same thing.  When I got my social security disability, I opted out of medicare part B, thinking it was unnnecessary with VAMC care.  I too, was wrong.  

What I did is wait until Im 65, since that will be next year.   I will opt in to medicare part B.  You see, you can opt in/out of medicare twice..once when you get disabled, and again when you turn 65.  This presumes, of course, you got disabled prior to age 65.  

It will actually work out better for me..I will save months and months of medicare part b premiums, and then opt in at age 65, when Im more likely to need care.  

If I opt back in at 65 will I have the 10% per year penalty for all the years that I was disabled and opted out?  I was disabled by Social Security when I was 38.