VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting My C-File

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

Need to file a NOD on a recent Tinnitus claim denial.

Sent in a request, FOIA etc., for my C-file.

VA acknowledged receiving my request on Ebennies and shows a date of 2018 when I can expect them to make a decision as they have my request categorized as a new claim.

I was thinking I read where there are specific deadlines requiring the VA to meet my demand for the C-file.

Anyone know what the time frames are requiring the VA to comply?

Edited by 63Charlie

I haven't been on here for a bit, but when did the mandate of 20 business days from the date of request change?  From above it almost sounds like a two year wait? 

The Records Management Center in St. Louis is now the de facto place to get c-files but remember we now live in the VBMS electronic records world. You have to adapt to the new ways or suffer waiting forever. I suggest you read this. I published it over a year ago but the technique is tried and true. Of course, calling the VA ombudsman or Secretary Bob is always a great way to get their attention sooner.

https://asknod.org/2015/01/12/2015-va-updates-on-getting-your-c-file/

• HadIt.com Elder

I used the 21-3288 requested a redacted copy  and still not a word? eh!

I have until Jan 6th 2017 to get mine in Actually Be lot better if I got it before that   that date is my one year dead line to file my FDC. For OSA aggervated by PTSD.

.....Buck

Vets:

I think I'm going to take Asknod's Advice and write directly to the VA Secretary to see if I could get my C-File. He's a busy man and I usually resolve issues at the lowest level..but I really need that C-File..to do my NOD..

Rootbeer22

I recommend, if you have been waiting for at least six months on your cfile OR if you have a hearing approaching, contact your local congressman and ask for assistance in obtaining your cfile, it worked for me. If that doesn't light a fire, contacting the Secretary of VA as Asknod and Shuman suggested most definitely will. I opted for the congressman, as I wanted to save contacting the Secretary for a last resort, I waited literally almost two years after requesting my cfile and, after contacting the congressmans office in my area, had it on my doorstep, delivered by UPS, less than two weeks later.