VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aortic valve /ihd

Rate this question

treysnonna

Question

My husband has had diabetes diagnosised in 2001.   In 2008 he found out he had heart valve problems.  He filed secondary service connected to diabetes.  Boots on ground in Vietnam.  They denied the claim.  Said it was not related to diabetes.  In 2013  he had to have that valve replaced and they found coronary artery disease.  We filed that claim.  Approved it 60%.   But what should the date of benefit start.  And we did not get the 100% for thr three months.  

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Since his medical care was non VA, I assume VA gave him the EED and 60% rating from his private medical records.

Maybe his private doctors missed something as to the IHD.

Can you scan and post their kidney disease denial?  (The Reasons and Bases for the denial and the Evidence list)

(Cover C file etc prior to posting it)

The private nephrologist  could certainly outweigh any C & P that was done by a doctor less qualified.

But VA might need a strong IMO from him.

"I don't think they read anything "  That is basically the problem many of us have had with the VA. VA had 2 posthumous C & P from an Endocrinologist to deny my AO death DMII claim. That doctor mis -read and also misinterpreted medical acronyms to deny the claim.

I had used Merck Medical Manual (that VA used as well) in order to understand many acronyms in my dead husband's med recs.

The ridiculous C & P s were overcome by 2 solid IMOs from Dr Bash and from a freeby I got from a former VA doctor who had treated  my husband at a VAMC. I think he was the only doctor on this team who knew what he was doing. But someone had crossed out his diagnosis of diabetes and they still refused to diagnose and treat his IHD.

I see you are quite familiar with BUN and gfr counts....and are willing to do the research these things take.

Any excerpts like the one you have on proteinuria from good medical texts will help bolster a strong IMO.

IMOs/IME must follow the IMO criteria here at hadit under Read First if getting an IMO.

Dr. Bash will be on our blog radio show here tomorrow night, and they will take call ins.

I developed the IMO post from the 2 IMOs I got from him.

As a NeuroRadiologist, he was perfect for  my DMII claim.. He stated in his IMO that he had interpreted X rays and MRIs  of thousands of diabetics . I doubt if VA has a thousand doctors who can even read an MRI or X ray.

With Tricare I assume he might be eligible for CRDP. That is automatic....or at least it should be.

To add...I commend you for being willing to take the time to go over his Blood Chem reports.

I looked up every single thing in my husband's medical records...and studied every blood chem report very carefully for my DMII claim.

Even the Brain MRI and his autopsy became relevant again in another way of reading their info, for the undiagnosed DMII death claim.

I was more thorough for this claim than when I filed for wrongful death under FTCA/1151 because there was no internet in those days, only some medical libraries , none near me, and some didn't even have a Xerox machine.....lots of work and frustration...

The internet made the DMII claim easier in many respects.

I am sure my IMO fees would have been much higher if I had not taken the time to present a cover letter, detailing everything I could find that led to the diabetes diagnosis based on documented readings of Glucose , BUN, GFR, SGOT, Albumin ,etc etc and even an odd prescribed med called Swish and Swallow...when I found out what it was really for, I knew ,step by step, that I had built a solid case, that would warrant a great IMO..

My point here is when we leave no stone unturned, it can become  the pathway to success, and makes us more willing to spend an IMO fee when we have a good idea of the outcome of the IMO.

These are 2 good web site for Renal(Kidney) Disease:

http://www.renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/ckd-stages#sthash.KgzerQeZ.dpbs

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-communication-programs/nkdep/learn/causes-kidney-disease/testing/understand-gfr/Pages/understand-gfr.aspx

This site has a serum creatinine calculator, if you have his creatinine values.

VA might have erred in his  glomerular filtration rate but other factors can change it

“They said they did not feel his diabetes had progressed that much.  His aid 8.1.”

Do you mean his HBAIC is 8.1 ?

“What's a Normal Hemoglobin A1c Test?

For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test is between 4% and 5.6%. Hemoglobin A1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% indicate increased risk of diabetes, and levels of 6.5% or higher indicate diabetes. Because studies have repeatedly shown that out-of-control diabetes results in complications from the disease, the goal for people with diabetes is a hemoglobin A1c less than 7%. The higher the hemoglobin A1c, the higher the risks of developing complications related to diabetes.”

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/glycated-hemoglobin-test-hba1c

As this site says the risks for complications are higher when a HBAIC is over 7.

Berta,. He has a rating for 20% now.  And by the way that was did in Mountain home ar.  They opened a small va clinic there and they are the ones that diagnosised it and even put the claim in for him.  We totally surprised that they did that.    Do we have to wait to send anything in, since it is showing in intake center, or should we go ahead and send in?  His vso said it could take another 4.5 yrs.. That is a nine yr wait all together.  Should we contact our congressman?  Just frustrating. 

I would send in any more evidence you have but I still recommend getting an Independent Medical Opinion.

"His vso said it could take another 4.5 yrs.. That is a nine yr wait all together. "

I dont understand the 9 year math here. I assume the NOD was filed in time.

The rating criteria for DMII is here in our VA Schedule of Ratings forum.

His medical evidence must warrant a rating higher than the 20%.

If the "aid 8.1 " was his actual HBIAC ,that should help.

Personally I don't think any Congressman could help with this ,at this point, as it is a medical issue, that a strong IMO/IME could help resolve.

But others will chime in on that.

Berta,. On the nod on list of evidence.  It says private medical evidence from dr.       And (prescription).  That is what the dr. Wrote restricted diet and activities.  They also got private medical records..  I'm sending the denial for kidney failure too