VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD with questions

Rate this question

Rita

Question

I have been going to mental health care at my local VA, I have been out of the service for 20 or more years and he recommended that I file for PTSD, based on what I have told him. I do not have anything in my medical records from active duty to confirm this nor witnesses since I did not report being raped. How in the world do I file for this?

I am also service connected for my back and am seeking an increase due to excessive pain and wanting to include sleep apenea and fibro as secondary conditions would that go with my back or would I list as secondary to the PTSD.

Dumb question but what exactly is a c-file is that my military health file?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Edited by Rita
left out question

6 answers to this question

Rita, Welcome to hadit. You are at the right place.  There are NO dumb questions other than questions about how to succeed with a false/fraudulent claim.

PTSD due to MST is covered by several knowledgeable veterans here.  They will chime in shortly. The evidence requirements are different than combat PTSD.  I don't believe they are any easier or harder, but they are different.  If you are suffering from PTSD resulting from events that occurred during your military service, file a claim for it.  I have never even heard of SA or fibro being secondary to PTSD. I am not certain if either could be an adequate stressor for PTSD.  Increased chronic pain from a SC condition can certainly be the basis for an increased rating.

I did not claim PTSD until 40 years after I left active duty.  I was "boots on the ground" in Vietnam with combat awards, so my claim was really a walk in the park for me.  The 30% award did nothing to my monthly compensation, but I wanted all of my bases covered so that my wife will have no problems with DIC when I croak.

C-File is your DVA claim folder.  It would be wise to request a copy right away because it takes a while for the VA to provide c-file copies.  Your military records may well contain evidence in the manner of behavioral changes after the event regardless of whether or not you reported it.

I was actually thinking the sleep apenea and fibro secondary  to the back, I can't sleep but about 3 to 4  hours  a night my pain increases.  I know it is from being overweight  that once I hurt my back in the AF I was not able to exercise and the weight joined me so with the sleep apenea and fibro has made life almost miserable an then two months ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Can the c-file be requested from ebenefits?

Thank you for your quick response.

Hi Rita,

I recently wrote a blog post with detailed suggestions for filing a PTSD due to MST claim, including several links to additional online resources:

Advice for Veterans – PTSD Military Sexual Trauma (MST) C&P Exams

Feel free to ask any questions about the information in that post, either in a response (comment) to the post, or here on HadIt.com  :O)

The good news is that, as @GuaymasJim said, you can indeed receive disability benefits for PTSD/MST even the horrible crime against you occurred many years ago.

All the Best,

Mark

Edited by Mark D Worthen PsyD
I didn't format the @ command correctly - fixed it.

Do you have a SA DX? If so, linking it to a Future PTSD DX, won't work. The SC causative DX must be in place prior to the Secondary DX.

Does your VMC MHV Medical Record indicate PTSD as one of your issues? Do you have a long history of MH treatment that could help in laying a Paper Trail back to your MSA? Is there anyone you confided in or who noticed and commented on a perceived personality or mood change about that time?

A New PTSD claim, based on a both non-treated & non-reported MSA from the early 90's, is going to be very difficult. The PTSD Forensic C & P Psychiatrist/Psychologist PhD will be the final arbiter, as to your PTSD DX. Review the VA PTSD DBQ.

Semper Fi