VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

EODCMC

Question

Hi, I am a 30 year retired vet. I retired 13 years ago. I as recently diagnosed with "very severe" obstructive sleep apnea. The machine they gave me is preset on the highest output flow. My episode exceed 35 times an hour with some lasting more than 30 seconds. 

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea a couple of years prior to retirement and the study and diagnosis is documented in my record. In fact, they wanted to operate on my uvula. There lies the rub. The operation could have ended my career so I didn't persue. Additionally, while on active duty I developed severe chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis and this also is documented in my service health record. I have been living with this and chalking it down to getting old.

Fast forward...I recently got a machine that they say I have to wear for the remainder of my life. I just learned that Tricare Prime does not pay for it all. So, I researched online and submitted a claim the E-benefits and it has been received and was under review until today when they changed this to "gathering of evidence" Development Letter Sent.

Does anyone know what this means? What do I have to look forward to concerning the process. I watch the news. It doesn't look good, right?

thanks in advance.

When I ordered my C-File, last year, I got the whole kit-n-kaboodle on a single disc. It has 1090 pages that covers my SR, SMR, and VAMR.  But some on here have received their file in paper form, but I think that has been changing within the past year or two.

All, thanks for your comments and thanks in advance for comments to come.

I received the Development Letter dated May 22. It was essentially a form letter that I expect has been sent to everyone submitting a claim. A check in the box.

On a personal note, the CPAP machine takes some getting used to. Strange noises!  It's hard to get a seal without gurring down on the straps. When I do, it gets claustrophobic. Whining over.

If there is anyone with apnea experience, I have one question that I can't find in my research. Is 50% and 100% the only rating you can get or can someone be rated somewhere in between?

OK, no new changes. It's no big deal. I've been reading posts and there are many people that I hope get a higher priority than me. I still have CPAP questions. By all accounts I received a good apparatus. It's a ResMed Airsense 10 Elite with heated hose and full face mask. Ive been using it for a few weeks now and I'm pretty comfortableand actually feel most of the symptoms improving. My problem: the first couple of weeks my apnea so were reduced to under one per hour. This was huge because without the mask I was averaging 35 with some as long as 40 seconds. However, they are creeping back up. I now average 3.5. It's still good but it concerns me. Does anyone have some insight that they can share?

Thanks Andy and Buck concerning CPAP. Yea, the folks I got it from should know what to do, if anything. I guess

I was inviting a discussion for any help anyone might give or receive concerning the machine use. I will add one comment for those that get claustrophobic. I found that wearing the machine while awake really helped prepare for sleep. Watch the news!

Buck, I am also a Vietnam vet with broken service. I retired while preparing for the 2nd Gulf war; they told me I was a bit long in the tooth to deploy and I hated staff duty.

Im finding my records are probably everywhere but I kept a full set in hard copy when I retired 14 years ago. When I asked the simple question I wasn't smart enough to know what a C File was. Since they are still gathering evidence for my only claim, I probably don't have a completed one yet. I assume I should just wait for a determination before requesting it.

Thanks everyone for your help. 

So, I received a status update today. I am still in the Gathering of Evidence phase; however, now it adds a red triangle with exclamation point warning me the Requested Documents Are Past Due. You can imagine my dismay. I made the call to the regional office and I was told they need nothing from me. They've been waiting for records from San Diego Medical Center.  Standing by. My VSO has yet to return my call...ever.