VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P PTSD Increase & TDIU

Rate this question

Jroocan

Question

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,

I received a 70% rating for PTSD from last years increase when it was at 50%.  I've been unemployed for over a year since being fired for several aggressive angry outbursts related to stressors tied to my PTSD.  Filed for TDIU May 11th of 2016 and I have a C&P scheduled for June 10th of 2016.  What the heck can I expect at a TDIU c&p? I sent in all of my formal write-ups and suspension paperwork from my previous employer as well as buddy statements from coworkers who witnessed my behavior and how my work performance was affected due to PTSD.  I have tried multiple times to have HR from my previous employer fill out the VA-form requesting employment info but they have not cooperated with me. Won't return calls or emails. Even sent them the form but nothing gets back to me.  I fear that will hurt me and also be I'm clean shaven and well dressed (I'm ocd about my appearance by it seems as if it's the only thing I can control).  

I stay home taking care of my daughter but she goes to daycare a couple times a week to give me a break. It gets too much at times. Should that be mentioned ?

I just thought my claim is moving fast and not sure if that is good or bad ?

Any thoughts? 

Thanks for all you do. It is greatly appreciated. 

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

In my opinion, with

"I sent in all of my formal write-ups and suspension paperwork from my previous employer as well as buddy statements from coworkers who witnessed my behavior and how my work performance was affected due to PTSD."

It might negate this: " I have tried multiple times to have HR from my previous employer fill out the VA-form requesting employment info but they have not cooperated with me. Won't return calls or emails" They are probably afraid you might sue them under the ADA/EEOC laws.

Your performance appraisals as well from your employer might help too.

If VocRehab has found you as an unfeasible candidate for VA Voc Rehab solely due to your PTSD that documentation will help with TDIU and also if you get SSDI, and that is solely for PTSD that too will help you gain TDIU.

Tell the C & P doc what you told us here and make sure you tell him you can handle your own funds and bills etc, which I assume you do.

Thanks Berta.

I have not applied for SSD nor Voc Rehab.  My care team at VA clinic put in referrals or consults for inpatient residential treatment at the VA hospital in North Chicago, just waiting on an admission date once they conduct the phone interview on June 20th.  Already been accepted to PTSD program but they referred me to Substance Abuse program also so they want me to do that first then seamless transition into PTSD program. 92 day inpatient, I'm ready! 

My employer was Goodwill, of two years. They hired me knowing I'm a service connected veteran and made several accommodations at the workplace for me to help avoid certain stressors or at least lessen them. Those accommodations vanished after a couple weeks as they "got used to me" and treated me like everyone else.  It was tough but I stuck it out and they forced me to do counseling at an outside facility after my 5 day suspension before I could return to work.  I started having seizures (undiagnosed by va neuro) and I was placed on limited duty by Doctor. Employer said they have no limited duty jobs for me so I had to burn my pto and vacation until I was cleared..wasn't cleared so they called me and said I was fired (no reason given)

"Already been accepted to PTSD program but they referred me to Substance Abuse program also so they want me to do that first then seamless transition into PTSD program. 92 day inpatient, I'm ready! "

That is Wonderful!

Did the VA Neuro do an MRI and then leave it as undiagnosed?

Yes full work up was done and shows I have seizure activity in my frontal lobe and two small deviations elsewhere...brain stem protrudes through spinal area a bit but she said its of no concern.  I have a mild tbi documented in my file but never did a claim.  Yes the seizure disorder is undiagnosed (no seizures prior to last year when I had six) and am on daily medication for them.  My neuro doc just retired which is sad because she was lovely, a really nice lady.  

I was on driving restriction for a year bc of the seizures. Made it difficult to find work and such. Just a mess.

Edited by Jroocan

On June 2, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Berta said:

Tell the C & P doc what you told us here and make sure you tell him you can handle your own funds and bills etc, which I assume you do.

Tomorrow is the day of c&p...quick question to your comment about handling own funds. To me this seems like a no brainier and yes I do manage my funds...but in an appointment with my social worker he said (off the record) that if it were up to him rating me he would deem me either 100 P&T or TDIU and incompetent to manage funds. He said reason is that my poor impulse control and decision making would be damaging to a large lump sum of any backpay. 

so question is: why does it matter in an unemployment claim? I can handle my bills and money but that doesn't mean I'm able to secure gainful employment.  

I disagree with the social worker...but just regarding the incompetent part.I too feel they should award either 100% or TDIU.

If you don't have bill collectors hounding you and arent facing eviction, it seems to me you are definitely not incompetent. Are you the sole owner of your checking account? Maybe your bank statements have attached checks you have written to phone company,electric com, etc etc.that you could show the C & P doctor.

It is hard to determine what the VA will decide.

Do you have someone you trust to be your fiduciary, if needed? You can always definitely appeal a fiduciary decision.