VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated Disabilities

Rate this question

Penelope

Question

I have been Service Connected at 60% for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 20 years.  I have started the process of filing a claim for unemployability.  During that process, I looked at my rated disabilities in ebenefits and found that it is noted as Systemic condition - general, 60% service connected with an effective date of 1999.  My BVA decision was written in 1998 and the effective date of my rating was back to 1994.  I talked to a Service Officer and they said they didn't know why it was listed in the system like this, but as long as I had my decision I should ignore it.  My concern was, and is, that it shows the wrong date and that difference means the difference between a protected rating and a non-protected rating.

I called VA and they set up an inquiry and I would be notified in a few weeks.  Tonight, I looked at ebenefits and found that the systemic line and effective date have not changed, but now I have 2 other disabilities listed as not service connected.  Not only that, but I never applied for any other disability rating other than Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and to my knowledge I don't have these other disabilities.  The first is Brain disease due to trauma and the other is a Brain or spinal cord condition - general.  I have no idea where they came up with this.  Both state under decision that they are not service connected.

My concern is that these two items could have a negative impact on my unemployability claim.  I am not sure what to do about any of it.  When I spoke to the person on the phone a few weeks ago, they said they would send me a letter with regard to their decision.  Maybe it is on its way and they can explain this to me.

Your thoughts on what to do would be appreciated.

Buck 52 - Thank you so much for all the information.  I will read through it and see what I can add to my claim.  I appreciate your insight.  

I did receive a letter from my Doctor, who has been my doctor since the 1980's and was quoted or his opinion used in granting BVA deciscions.  --- has been a patient of mine since 1989.  Due to her veteran Service connected condition of CFS and its progression, she is unable to secure and maintain gainful employment including sedentary work.  This condition is not likely to improve and subsequent morbidities have followed.

She has developed-----------------------------------------.  All of these disease states are direct consequences of her inactivity due to CFS.  These conditions are currently controlled with medications and therapies.  It was my recommendation that she retire due to the impact and stress the job was having on her symptoms of CFS which in turn caused the inactivity which created the cascading disease states as noted above.

He addressed everything that was mentioned in my Social Security decision and related it back to CFS.  Do you think this is sufficient along with the SS decision to be successful?  I have not worked or earned income since 2012.

Thank you for your thoughts.  I appreciate it.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes it should be..you are already SC so now its just a matter of them reading your medical evidence & pulling your SS Records to see when you last paid  income tax

go back to 2012 for your retro.  if they require you don't work a year before your eligible like SS does  they may pay you from 2013?