VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Metal Conditions Confused Need Clarification: Chronic Pain Syndrome, Pain Disorder, and Depression

Rate this question

malandroaz

Question

I tore both of my shoulders had surgery that is S/C already. At the time of me filing for VA claim I had no idea about secondary conditions (just learning bout it). 

Both Shoulders I have these Symptoms experience:
  • Chronic PainPain
  • Pain Diisorder (believe if I push or grab stuff)
  • Cause Depression 
  • Cant Sleep (get well since suregery over 2 years ago)

What is the best way to file the secondary injuries? Can I file for each shoulder all those symptoms I experience? Basically trying to understand the best way to file this so I dont get screwed by the VA. 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

44 minutes ago, malandroaz said:
  • Chronic PainPain
  • Pain Diisorder (believe if I push or grab stuff)
  • Cause Depression 
  • Cant Sleep (get well since suregery over 2 years ago)

Ok, have you been complaining about the pain and how it effects your life? It's hard to get depression secondary to chronic pain, if no complaints in your SMR or VAMR. But not impossible. Chronic pain is a leading cause of both MH and sleep issues.

I'm not sure if you can file a claim as: depression and sleep issues secondary to chronic pain. But let me tell you this, it may be much easier if you were already getting treatment for MH issues.  If not, perhaps contact your PCP and request a referral to MH because you think your pain is making you depressed, and interfering with your sleep.

To give you some idea on what possible roadblocks you may face with this, I fell down some stairs on 11/21/1992(injured knees and lower back) which certainly establishes chronic pain time frame, and was DXd last summer by VA MH Dr with MDD, filed a claim for depression secondary to chronic pain, after speaking with my dr first. Got denied, mostly due to the MH examiner ignoring the reason for the exam in the first place, and the VARO ignoring all the evidentiary matter at hand.

But that is just my experience, yours may well be much better than that.

Semper Fi.