VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Falling down stairs

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

I have a secret to tell.  I am afraid of falling down the stairs.  A few weeks ago, I was going down the steps at home, carrying my 13 pounder aka 5 month old foster babygirl., and I felt a near blinding pain in my R foot, which made me nearly finish my trip down the stairs in stunt person style.

So, here's the problem, ever since then, every time I am faced with going down any flight of stairs, I keep seeing the stairs I fell down during boot camp.  Is this something to be concerned with?  It sure bugs the crap out of me.  I was always leary of stairs ever since that boot camp fall...but not like this...especially now since I have various foot, ankle, and knee issues, both SC and non-SC.

I didn't want to even mention it here, but I keep hearing a voice in my head telling me that I need to speak up, so someone can tell me that I'm not crazy, or...at least, not as crazy as I think I am.  Should I tell my VA MH at my next therapy session?  Is this something not even worth mentioning?  Now I feel so dumb and childish for having mentioned it...

3 answers to this question

Andyman73 don't feel dumb. What you are experiencing is a serious issue just from the physical aspect ( I would tell your psych at next appt). I would also go to my healthy vet and log in the incident on the proper date. You can make notes about your health there so you have a reference later.and no one else can see it but you. Also I would secure message your PCP about this incident and any others concerning balance/fall issues. Even if you don't feel you need medical attention on it, he/she needs to know what's going on.

Since your ankles and knees are SC, in the event you have hip and knee problems in the future these fall incidents may be connected. So start the paper trail now.

I say this because I had several falls over 2 year period (no record except for the last big one) couldn't figure it out. Thought I was stupid. After my wife told my PCP that I fell a lot Dr. Discovered I had foot drop causing the falls (now SC).

not sure of your age but as we climb up in age the falls and elderly people don't mix.

First off, I actually have an appointment with my PCP on Monday. So I can tell him already.  

Quick bio on me to get you up to speed. I fell down a flight of stairs during boot camp in 1992. Not a tumble, more of a man-o-steel type fall/flight, and landed knees first, then chest, with my legs jack-knifing up behind me, compressing my lower spine.

My back was SC to my EAS 11/98 and 2 yrs later and many trips to the VA, my knees were also added. 

More recently my feet were SCd and then EED to 2006.  I have been having some weakness in my L foot, got tested for drop foot, all through the VA. And have been having issues with my SI joints for the past few years.  Been through pt and pain injections, again through the VA, as well.

Lots of notes and such but no actual DX.  Which is making me feel like they are avoiding that to make it harder for me file a secondary claim. 

As for age, I am living in my 5th decade. Yikes, what a realization that was!!!?

But what about the anxiety about falling and flashbacks to my fall in 1992?