• hate-ads-subscribe-now.jpg

• Ad
  • Ad
  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ad

NOD denied and errors to boot! Need opinions

I posted this in my other ongoing thread but I want this brought to the forefront.  I was recently denied by WACO DRO Steve Wilbur and I believe I was retaliated because I simply asked Robert McDonald in an email to step in after 6 months of waiting for a decision when the DRO told me in the informal hearing to give him 60 days.  My hearing was 45 minutes long and I was well prepared.  The DRO Steve Wilbur has a very bad reputation at WACO for denials.  I received a call from DRO Wilbur on August 18th, 2016 stating he received my request for a decision.  He told me he would be deciding it within the week but in fact he had already decided it that day!  Now I have yet to received the SOC but I have a Women's Outreach Coordinator in St. Petersburg VBA who is a very close friend of mine and happened to see the denial in my records.  This idiot DRO failed to put a cover letter with my SOC and no date on my SOC.  He simply submitted it to Evidence Intake and never mailed it to me!  If it wasn't for my connection I would still not know and would not be within the 60 days to file the Form 9.  I emailed Robert McDonald earlier this week, firing off my distaste for this DRO and my local congressman.  I plan to further put him on front street when I do file the Form 9.

As for my NOD, I filed it back in 2014 for right foot (5th metatarsal fracture), right ankle condition, and left toe condition.  I am attaching a lot of documents and I know we all have busy lives and I have helped a lot on here and now I need help please!  I need your opinions on this situation.

Original denial for toe condition was on decision letter in June 2014.  They put the denial of the toe condition on the wrong foot!  It was noted on the right foot when it should have been the left foot.  I pointed this out since my right ankle and right fracture had yet to be decided on.  November 2014 received denial for right foot/right ankle and toe condition noted on left toe continued to be denied.  This was after I had a C&P exam July 2013 where I provided TWO DBQ's from my current outside podiatrist stating my injuries to my feet/ankles/toe was all in-service injuries and I was still affected by them to this day.  That was 2013.  I was s/c in June 2014 and was able to start getting treatment by the VA.  My primary had X-rays completed and in 2014 it showed an old fracture to my right foot, the 5th metatarsal.  The C&P examiner made a rationale that stated he noted diagnoses in the C&P exam.  He felt comfortable with the DBQ's from what I gathered.  November 2014, a medical opinion by some doctor I never saw but supposedly reviewed my records determined either I was healed and no further treatment or that I had in-service injuries but no loner had issues.  So I filed NOD November 2014 citing the errors and why I felt the denial was incorrect.  Fast forward to February 2016, I had my informal hearing with DRO Wilbur.  I had submitted a Nexus letter dated February 12th, 2016 from my podiatrist indicating he reviewed all my SMR's and my current conditions were all related to in-service injuries.  During the hearing, DRO Wilbur even stated that a fracture in s/c with no further residuals is at least 0%.  He further went on to review the Nexus letter noting that my Podiatrist stated all three contentions were in fact in-service, continuity continued.  DRO Wilbur told me 60 days to decided.  DAV rep was present.  I felt good......WELL, then I was denied last week.

Here is the evidence I submitted to the DRO for review.  I am just lost for words on this!

DBQ ankle conditions_Redacted.pdf

DBQ foot conditions_Redacted.pdf

medical opinion w-o exam_Redacted.pdf

Timeline for NOD hearing.pdf

Nexus letter-redacted .pdf

NOD - Denial Letter .pdf

NOD evidence notes.pdf

71 answers to this question

I know there is a temptation to go after bad VA employees, and what they did wrong to you, but its better to focus your "Big 3"...Get it service connected, get a fair disability percentage rating, and get a good effective date, always in that order.  

I also know its tempting to call out a VA employee who lies to you.  But that employee has friends, and some of those friends probably owe some favors.    

The denial letter you got looks like its from the RO, a DRO review with SOC.  This is not a suprise, most DRO's are denied.   You need to proceed on by filing the I9, within 60 days.

In your I9 (appeal to the BVA), you should clearly and concisely explain how the denial is in error and, especially, how it is in conflict with the evidence.  Point out they used the wrong foot.  

The VA has a procedure for errors/inaccuracies in your records, dont try to fix these inaccuracies in your appeal, but use this instead:

1.579 Amendment of records.

(a) Any individual may request amendment of any Department of Veterans Affairs recordpertaining to him or her. Not later than 10 days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays) after the date or receipt of such request, the Department of Veterans Affairs will acknowledge in writing such receipt. The Department of Veterans Affairs will complete the review to amend or correct a record as soon as reasonably possible, normally within 30 days from the receipt of the request (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays) unless unusual circumstances preclude completing action within that time. The Department of Veterans Affairs will promptly either:

(1) Correct any part thereof which the individual believes is not accurate, relevant, timely or complete; or

(2) Inform the individual of the Department of Veterans Affairs refusal to amend therecord in accordance with his or her request, the reason for the refusal, the procedures by which the individual may request a review of that refusal by the Secretary or designee, and the name and address of such official.

(Authority: 5 U.S.C. 552a(d)(2))

(b) The administration or staff office having jurisdiction over the records involved will establish procedures for reviewing a request from an individual concerning the amendment of any record or information pertaining to the individual, for making a determination on therequest, for an appeal within the Department of Veterans Affairs of an initial adverse Department of Veterans Affairs determination, and for whatever additional means may be necessary for each individual to be able to exercise fully, his or her right under 5 U.S.C. 552a.

(1) Headquarters officials designated as responsible for the amendment of records or information located in Central Office and under their jurisdiction include, but are not limited to: Secretary; Deputy Secretary, as well as other appropriate individualsresponsible for the conduct of business within the various Department of Veterans Affairs administrations and staff offices. These officials will determine and advise the requesterof the identifying information required to relate the request to the appropriate record, evaluate and grant or deny requests to amend, review initial adverse determinations upon request, and assist requesters desiring to amend or appeal initial adverse determinations or learn further of the provisions for judicial review.

(2) The following field officials are designated as responsible for the amendment ofrecords or information located in facilities under their jurisdiction, as appropriate: The Director of each Center, Domiciliary, Medical Center, Outpatient Clinic, Regional Office, Supply Depot, and Regional Counsels. These officials will function in the same manner at field facilities as that specified in the preceding subparagraph for headquarters officials in Central Office.

(Authority: 5 U.S.C. 552a(f)(4))

(c) Any individual who disagrees with the Department of Veterans Affairs refusal to amend his or her record may request a review of such refusal. The Department of Veterans Affairs will complete such review not later than 30 days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and legal public holidays) from the date on which the individual request such review and make a final determination unless, for good cause shown, the Secretary extends such 30-day period. If, after review, the Secretary or designee also refuses to amend the record in accordance with the request the individual will be advised of the right to file with the Department of Veterans Affairs a concise statement setting forth the reasons for his or her disagreement with the Department of Veterans Affairs refusal and also advise of the provisions for judicial review of the reviewing official's determination. (5 U.S.C. 552a(g)(1)(A))

(d) In any disclosure, containing information about which the individual has filed a statement of disagreement, occurring after the filing of the statement under paragraph (c)of this section, the Department of Veterans Affairs will clearly note any part of the recordwhich is disputed and provide copies of the statement (and, if the Department of Veterans Affairs deems it appropriate, copies of a concise statement of the Department of Veterans Affairs reasons for not making the amendments requested) to persons or other agencies to whom the disputed record has been disclosed. (5 U.S.C. 552a(d)(4)) (38 U.S.C. 501)

If you are not in a good mental state, such as you are very angry, or, if you lack some advance (college level) writing skills, then you should get someone to help you write out the I9.    You should read what they wrote, and sign it if you agree.  

Even tho I do have a college degree and advanced level writing skills, like yourself, I became angry at the denials, and had to get some help in presenting my case concisely and clearly.  I typed up my NOD's and I9's and ran them by Alex Graham before I submitted them.  

We can do that here, also.  

• Like 4

To summarize:

1.  Get your records fixed.

2.  File the I9, timely even if you can not get the records fixed in time.  If the VA has not responded to your request to amend records, per 3.1579, then so state in your I9.     Later, if the VA does amend the records (or if they refuse), then submit that as new and material evidence, per 38 cfr 3.156.  

3.  Get help as you may be too emotionally involved in the outcome.  Even lawyers get lawyers.  "A lawyer who represents himself has a fool as a client.".  Alex could probably fix this mess for you, probably John Dorle could also, but you have a short time fuse, so file the I9 in 60 days no matter what, even if you have to amend it later.  

• Like 2

I agree with Bronco on this.  You want to focus on winning your claim.  If you lost at the DRO level you should proceed in a timely manner to file your BVA appeal.   Now if you were to get yourself a lawyer who knows  you might even be able to get a second DRO.  I did that with my CUE claim.  I was denied at the VARO level and had a DRO by myself where I was again denied which I expected.  Then I hired a lawyer and the VA was ready to talk to him and decide at the VARO level.  I went with my lawyer to another DRO Hearing and we were so close to getting the CUE, but higher ups put a halt to that I am sure because my CUE had big implications for about a million other vets regarding EED and the way evidence was handled before the 1990's.

So I say again to  do as Bronco has said and focus on your claim and file an appeal with BVA or  do both but hire a lawyer first.   How much potential retro and future compensation are we talking about if you win or lose?  Does the outcome of your claim have implications for other vets?  BVA decisions are not used as precedents as are Court of Veteran Appeals, but they do take time.  I would ask for a traveling Board BVA hearing.  If this decision is going to make the difference between a 100%/TDIU rating and staying at 70% then I would think hard about getting a lawyer.  They take their money out of the retro and you may have decent amount of retro because you filed your claims in 2012-13 and if you have to go to the BVA for a decision it will be 2017-18 before you get a decision.  Also the lawyer will be shaping your claim to go to Court of Vet Appeals.  If they are any good that is what they should be doing when they take your claim because the best thing a lawyer can do for you at  the BVA is to write a brief for you.  I have been there with a lawyer at St. Petersburg office and the BVA Hearing was just sort of an intake hearing so in this sense I have no idea what the hearing was supposed to do that just having the lawyer write a brief for you would not do, but the lawyers always want to go face-to-face and I don't blame them.  If you do hire a lawyer you must read the contract very closely. I would post it here at Hadit  so were can all evaluate the fees and see if they are fair.   I think they are supposed to take only 20% plus expenses if you win.  Some of these lawyers will try and make side deal with you to get more money by telling you they can win your claim but they need more money.  This is all BS.

• Like 2

I understand what your meaning here about being careful to retaliate against VA Employees, but if she gets to the BVA and sees a judge  I think she should point out the DRO predetermine to deny her when in fact he said give it 60 days for a decision&MADE THAT DENIAL THAT DAY..that is a flat out flagrant  lie in my opinion and should be mention in this case. All  VA employees should be healed accountable.

Ironic  but I did this at a DRO Hearing about a VA C&P Examiner  making a pre determination on my case.

Yes I agree for her to file the I9 ASAP  & Request the amendment./ReQuest C-File ASAP/ReQuest Transcript of the DRO Hearing ASAP

gather evidence of record, even tho this was a non formal  DRO hearing there should be a transcript of the complete hearing , she should get that when she gets SOC...but I doubt it, just from what navy4 mention how the DRO sent off the SOC  without a date on it and only to the claims intake center & she never received one.(yet) The transcript should be in C-FILE.

With so many errors in this case and her case being under prosecution for so long  I think she can win at the BVA.

Those BVA judges don't like it when a DRO screws up  like this one has.

Hang in there Navy4life  I think you have a good chance here.  its just going to take a longer time now for the Appeals process to work.  and I believe the outcome will be in your favor

Alex Graham (asknod) is very busy but as broncovet mention I bet he can help you on this.

broncovet,she talk with John Dorle on hadit radio show and has his email...Navy4life  if Alex is to busy right now to help you (IDK?) Email John Dorle  he will be glad to help you  and you can discuss his fees.

sorry to hear your having to go through this mess.

• Like 2

Broncovet said:

"If the VA has not responded to your request to amend records, per 3.1579, then so state in your I9.     Later, if the VA does amend the records (or if they refuse), then submit that as new and material evidence, per 38 cfr 3.156." I agree but also asking them to CUE the SOC might work too.

It looked to me that they might have listed the SMRs as evidence but completely overlooked any SMR entrees. 

The CUE would be a violation of 38 CFR 4.6. You could attach copies of the SMRs with the probative parts highlighted with a magic marker, to support the CUE claim.

• Like 3

I say if these claims put money in your pocket then you can spend money to pursue them.  If you are going to be sitting at 90% after you win your claims then it is worth it.  You will never get to 100% unless you win more than 60%.  I have 70%, 60%, 20% and four 10% ratings.  This puts me at 90%. For me to get 100% I need another 50% because half of 10% is 5% and that is all I get if I win another 50%.  This is VA math.  You are better off financially getting TDIU and then getting P&T and "S".    However, if you like your job then you just want to keep plugging away but you need huge % win to get to 100%. Filing claims you deserve is good but if they do not put money in your pocket I would not spend money to pursue them.  Filing a claim does increase stress.  Just going through corrupt system and dealing with DRO's and others who just think every vet is a fraud and lazy to boot is not that much fun.  Nothing ever happens to these DRO thugs or the other thugs that call themselves federal employees.  They only get in trouble for stealing from their masters or giving too much to vets.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Uno
      I have to say I don’t really have a question YET, but I wanted to share my story as It makes for an interesting read.  Feel free to comment…
      In 1987 I was medically discharged from the Army for Subluxing Bicep tendon Bilateral.  I went to the VA and they agreed and issued 10% rating for each shoulder.  In 1993 I had a C&P Exam and I was all better so they say and reduced it to 0% in each shoulder.  Now keep in mind nothing was on the internet because it didn’t exist and I was young and uninformed so it never occurred to me to get my medical exams. I knew something was still wrong as I lived with shoulder problems since then.  Lets fast forward to 2013 when my shoulders were beginning to get worse with the right shoulder leading the way I decided to see a VSO and he opened a claim for my right shoulder.  I went to the c&P Exam and the PA found it was Subluxing bicep tendon, he also mentioned that he was looking at my records on his system and said my last exam was 1993, a few months later I received a decision that said they found right shoulder impingement syndrome and shoulder instability and rated each at 20% and left the original Subluxing Bicep Tendon at 0%. The VSO also filled out paperwork for me to get a copy of all my C&P Exams. As time passed I received some of the C&P Exams but not the one from 1993 so I requested it gain by the exact year and received a phone call from a lady saying she cannot find one from that year and she even looked in the boxes in the basement.  Going forward about a year or so later my left shoulder began to worsen so I went to a different VSO and they filled out a claim for the left shoulder. After the C&P Exam I went back to the VSO and they printed me off a copy of the exam and opinion and while I was there I mentioned that the VA has misplaced an exam I had from 1993 and after a few clicks on their system they said here it is and they printed off a copy and also mentioned that I shouldn’t tell anyone as they are not supposed to do that.  So after reviewing the new exam it said I had rotator cuff tears, shoulder instability, impingement syndrome and guarding all movement of both shoulders.  I also reviewed the exam from 1993 and it said they didn’t find subluxing bicep tendon but they did find significant rotator cuff grinding and impingement syndrome of both shoulders right worse the left.  I also read the  opinion from the recent left shoulder exam  and it said it was less likey connected because there is no known mechanism that would put what I have now with what I was discharged for. So like you have to do with all exams I began typing up by corrections to the exam and I also noted that the significant rotator cuff grating and impingement was first diagnosed in 1993 and it was the VA’s responsibility to request at that time whether it was service connected and since it wasn’t done then we have to say that there is a 50/50 chance that the Dr. would have said it was since we cant go back and ask him now and I sent it in.  So a few months later I get a decision that says its not service connected and didn’t say way and it didn’t recited any laws or anything like that so I file a NOD while getting the NOD ready I did a search on the internet about Subluxing bicep tendon and rotator cuff tears and found a lot of information connecting the two so I printed off one and also got a Doctor of Physical Therapy to review my records including the 1993 exam and she wrote a very detailed opinion on the connection between the two with a conclusion of its more likely than not directly connected and I sent it all in with the nod requesting a DRO .  Fast forward a year or so and I get a call from the VA to schedule another C&P Exam and I could see where this is going so I pick the same place knowing I would get the same examiner.  After the exam I download a copy of it and wouldn’t you know I no longer have torn rotator cuff and I am not guarding all movement along with many other things that have disappeared from the last exam and to top it all off they asked the NP who’s certification and specialty is family practice to opine on a statement from a Dr. who’s specialty is the musculoskeletal system which of course she keeps saying throughout her opinion that I was first diagnosed with impingement syndrome in 2015 when it is actually 1993 so now I have to again write and state that they need to change that date to the correct one which is 1993.  I can’t believe that people will go through so much effort to not acknowledge a date the changes everything.  Its tooo funny and sad at the same time.  What’s really funny is that somehow they found the connection in 2014 but can’t seem to find it now.
    • By Wayne TX
      Back in May 2015 had a IME/IMO exam and was told I should put in a claim for deviated septum cause I had surgery for same while on active duty and again the same exact surgery in 2009 at VA.  I had no intention of applying for it until it was brought up.  I went ahead and submitted and  it got denied, did an NOD and still sitting in Appeal now.  I have not had any additional deviated septum surgeries since filing (2015) and no more clinical indications another surgery is needed therefore MY QUESTION: 
      (1) Does the fact I have had two surgeries mean anything as far as service connection goes or.... 
      (2) is this just a lame duck I should cut loose since no more surgeries have occurred since 2009. 
      Final question,  if still sitting and waiting on multiple Appeals does dropping one of those Appeals speed the others along any faster or does it even matter?  Can those on Appeal be processed individually at any point in time that RO decides to overturn same..... or do they wait until all of the Appeals made and filed together are fully decided one way or another?  Just seeking some opinion on this from more seasoned folks in Forum.
    • By kent101
      I looked at my C-File and the reason they denied my sinusitis was that they said I had no treatment for it in my medical records. In one of my medical records it shows that I told my doctor I had sinusitis. The doctor didn't treat me for it after I told him about it. So the VA says because the doctor didn't treat me for sinusitis that it doesn't matter if I mentioned I had it. At my C&P exam the doctor said it was more likely than not that my sinusitis was caused during basic training. The C&P doctor said also that I had allergic rhinitis. On my last claim I applied for rhinitis and they denied that too. The C&P doctor years before then said that my rhinitis was more likely than not caused during my service too. It's been 5 years so far waiting for my BVA appeal. When I wrote the letter I said "How's it my fault that the doctor failed to treat me for sinusitis when I reported it"? Do you think I'll be giving this sinusitis disability rating or not?
    • By jbgruver
      I received my Award letter granting my Appeal for CUE granting me an Earlier Effective Date for my 100% Service Connected Disability Pension.  It stretches from September 1, 1971 to January 27, 2003.  My appeal Lawyer says he has to present a brief to the VRO outlining what I think I should be getting paid.  I was shocked to say the least.  The granting of CUE claims is apparently rare.  I was told that my case may not reach the VRO for another 30 days and it will take some time for  it to be reviewed by at least 3 review officers after the amount of the Award is determined. Determining the amount is very complicated because I went through five (3) "Successful" Marriages during this time window  two children from the first which lasted a year after 1971. Putting the dates together for these Earth shaking events will be difficult as I will have to contact each of my Ex's to nail them down or else research vital statistics at the record centers involved.  I do not think the VRO will want to use the expensive time to go over all of this "Historical Data" and petition me for a compromise? This covers a period of 31 years, 4 months, and 26 days. I would like to hear from others who have gone through this type of process in order to get some idea of what I am facing and how long it will take to get it funded?  The way things are going, with "Savage Barbarians" at the helm, I may just get told to "Go to Hell"?  These are Treacherous times!  My Disability is Bipolar Affective Disorder aka Manic Depressive.  i.e. I am F'ing Nuts!
    • By Ryan22
      CURRENT STATUS: 100% P/T
      CLAIM SUBMITTED: 14 JAN 2015
      1. 21-526EZ LINE 5 - Have you ever filed a claim with the VA?
      Yes box checked
      "Informal Claim" handwritten in box
      2. 21-526EZ LINE 9
      Handwritten inside box:
      NOTE: Attached is copy of DUA letter dated Jan. 16, 2014 stating I had to submit this formal claim "within one year from the date of this letter" January 16, 2014. I am of the opinion that this submittal meets the requirement to use date of informal claim as the effective date of claim for this submittal.
      3. 362/LM - INFORMAL CLAIM RECIEVED LETTER Dated 16 JAN 2014
      Title of Letter: "IMPORTANT -- reply needed within 1 year"
      Relevant Text of letter:
      a. 'We received your request for VA benefits on November 27, 2013. We consider this request as an informal claim for benefits.'
      b. "If your completed application is received within one year from the date of this letter, and we decide that you are entitled to VA benefits, we may be able to pay you from the date we received your informal claim."
      Dated: 26 NOV 2013
      I attend to apply for compensation benefits under the FDC Program. This statement is to preserve my effective date for entitlement to benefits. I am in the process of assembling my claim package for submission"
      On 17 APRIL, 2014 I was at the mental clinic at the VA. I was homeless at the time so they sent me to a social worker. The social worker I believe had me fill out a form for an emergency pension. I'm not sure what I filled out exactly-not a very clear time of my life. In my paperwork I have, I see I received another informal claim letter reflective this date of 17 APRIL 2014.
      1. Could opening a CUE appeal impact my current 100% P/T status? If there is any chance of this I do not want to submit a CUE at all. I just want my effective date reviewed, nothing else. Is that possible or does the whole claim get reviewed?
      2. Is there someone I can contact at the VA to see why they decided on the effective date I have right now? Maybe I'm missing something and I didn't follow the rules correctly. Maybe whatever I did on 17 APRIL 2014 impacted my effective date/but even then, wouldn't my effective date be 17 APRIL 2014?
      3. In your opinion, do I have a case for CUE?
      4. How long does the CUE process take in your best guess?
      Please include any other advice or information, links that might help me.
      Side note: It goes without saying, but I would like to say it anyway; thank you so much for making this forum a resource for not only myself, but for all veterans. You guys are truly helping; THANK YOU.
    • By WomanMarine
      Okay, now that I have been at this for over a year, I am now starting to understand the V.A. 
      I was medically discharged in 1975 with a recurrent dislocating patella with a DoD rating of 10%.  I started having problems, as noted in my SRT, in my 10th week of boot. It was not till a year later, when bowling @ Leatherneck Lanes, that my patella completely dislocated, tearing ligaments and my meniscus.I was seen the next day in Ortho, with a 'grossly sublexed patella' and subsequently discharged for this condition.
      Two months later I landed a job with Southern Pacific Railroad. About a month into the job, again, my knee went out on me causing me to 'crash and burn' at work. I was seen that evening at the V.A. and referred to Ortho, who placed me in a full leg cast for six months. Because of this I lost my job at the railroad 
      I then applied for Vocational Rehabilitation and put on the form that I was 10% disabled. I did not realize that it was a DoD rating v. a V.A. rating. I was subsequently denied, but it was never explained to me the difference of DoD v. V.A. Again in 1980 my patella went out on me, again tearing my meniscus and ligaments. I went to the V.A. and was X-rayed, which showed torn ligaments. I then applied for V.A. disability. I was denied, but did not know this till recently and why, as I was homeless and did not receive the notification.
      According to the V.A. they submitted form VAF 21-526. They stated that I "did not receive subsequent treatment for my injury since my discharge." Which was obviously untrue, as I had been seen by the V.A. for this injury only four years earlier, only three months after my discharge, and lost my job because of it. 
      Today the V.A. cannot find the records of my 1975 - 1976 6 month Ortho rehab.
      I can understand losing them 42 years later, but not 4 years. 
      I am hoping my claim is wrapped up with the V.A. within the next month, as I had my final C&P last week for my back. I have three discs that are protruding, one is on a nerve. This is due to my gait being off for the last forty years, because of my SC knee.
      OH and my SC knee, they rated at 30% and took it away as they said that it was a prior injury to service and was Service Aggravated.  
      During the Ortho exam, after the 1975 accident on base, I stated that, once as a teen my knee gave way running track. For all I know, I could have stepped on it the wrong way, as my patella never dislocated and tore ligaments ... But the V.A. now insists it is Service Aggravated and gave me 10% for arthritis. After I was service-connected and applied for an increase, the examiner that rated my knee recently amended the exam and said that, because my condition is so severe that my left knee must now be included, as well as a bilateral factor, as I have arthritis in that knee, as she said, because of my gait. And she ordered an MRI of my Lumbar. The MRI shows DDD from S1 L1-L5. And specifically L4-L5 which I was recently told that I will need surgery, as they are compressed and pressing on a nerve.
      Recently I located my physical fitness entrance exam and it makes no note of ANY issues and passes my lower extremities. I believe, because of this that the 30% for my R knee, that was denied should be awarded?
      Do I have a CUE from the 1980 error?
      Thank you for reading my question?
      Oops ... I posted this question a few months ago: 
      The V.A. is driving me nuts! 
    • By mrstephens11
      Good news, I filed three CUEs and now have three C&P exams.  Great news, it's with the VES and not the VA.  The best news, I've seen one of these VES Doctors before and he rated the disability exactly correct!
      My question is, since I was given the C&Ps for the three disabilities that I filed the CUEs against, does this mean that the VA is agreeing that they made a CUE?  I understand the exams still have to happen for the rating portion, but does this mean the bureaucratic part of the VA agrees there was a mistake?  Logic tells me "yes, why would they schedule an exam if they were just going to deny the CUE."  However, this is the VA and logic is hard for them.
      Last night I was going through my records to get them ready for the C&Ps.  While I was doing this, I found another CUE that if accepted will net me another 10% back to 2005.  Go through your records, DBQs, and Rating Decision letters, you might have CUEs just waiting to be found!
      Thank you,
    • By hawkfire27
      Please delete
    • By mrstephens11
      If I claimed to be rated for chondromalcia(knee)  and I'm given a rating for flexion limitation and the VA didn't give me a rating for instability, but my knee does give out.  Is it a CUE that they didn't try to give me a rating for instability?  I have evidence of falling from my knee giving out in service and since then.  Can some one cite some case law that would apply to them not giving me a rating even though I didn't exactly claim it?
      Thank you,
    • By desertshield
      If at a RO hearing, the hearing officer determined that a Veteran's previously unknown medical condition, i.e. heart arrhythmia or hypertension, was found so soon after entry, ( about 2 weeks ), onto active duty that in their opinion it couldn't have started in military and therefore denied the claim on that basis, have they in essence made a medical opinion and therefore something that could be contested as a CUE?   
    • By Jamezam
      I submitted a CUE in July 2016 and checked on the status of CUE claim November 2016. My C-file has a Report of General Information form in it, with the note below.
      It seems like my CUE is just sitting in limbo and they stupid thing is, they state right in their notes that "CUE needs rating separate from appeal…" My CUE is not listed in eBenefits or on Vets.gov. What can I do to ensure CUE claim is being worked on? Thanks...
    • By USNIPER07
      I was diagnosed in 2010 with Bilateral Carpal Tunnel 10% Right (Major) and 10% Left Minor. I just noticed that the Neurologist's report sent to the VA reads a diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Right = Moderate and Left = Mild. The rating for that should be 30% (Right/Major) for moderate and 10% (Left/Minor) for mild. Is this a pretty clear CUE or do you think I may have problems changing the decision?
    • By Mikey5311
      This is a "research administration" question and how to include it in my NOD.
      I'm completing my NOD, I have physician reports, etc. I will also rely on articles published in medical journals.
      When I quote from the journal, I will always state the reference, (of course). But do I need to attach the entire paper in my attachments?
      Sounds silly? But my concern is that if I attach only the pertinent page, the evidence will be "disqualified" as being incomplete. The NOD will be about 3 pages, but with "complete" articles about 40 pages.
    • By NODAppealSecondary
      Filed a claim for Esophageal Stricture (DC 7203) Secondary to SC GERD.  Below is result of C&P Exam.  Seems pretty straight forward.  VSRO asks if Stricture is at least as likely as not due to GERD. Examiner responds in the affirmative.  Decision letter mentions nothing about esophageal stricture and continues disability rating for GERD for 30%.  Viewed many BVA decisions where 7203 can be rated separately and is not considered pyramiding.  Filed for Stricture Secondary to GERD after recent EGD Exam diagnosed me with Schatzki ring and Eosinophilic Esophagitis.  Both of which cause narrowing of the esophagus.
      DBQ GI Esophageal (including GERD & hiatal hernia):
      TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED: Secondary Service connection.
      The Veteran's esophageal condition is at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of
      GERD, currently rated as hiatal hernia.
      RATIONALE: EGD Report dated 9/8/17 supports esophagitis which has been
      linked to chronic reflux of GERD/hiatal hernia. Veteran has no other documented condition to which it could be related.
      supplemental data:  https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/hiatal-hernia
      a. Opinion from general remarks: DBQ GI Esophageal (including GERD & hiatal hernia):
      TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED: Secondary Service connection.
      Is the Veteran's esophageal condition, stricture at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of GERD?
      TAB A: Bedford VAMC Treatment Records, 02/06/2013 to present
      TAB B: EGD Report
      b. Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: GI
      a. The condition claimed is at least as likely as not (50% or greater
      probability) proximately due to or the result of the Veteran's service connected condition.
      c. Rationale: Recent EGD with biopsies supports esophagitis which is mediaclly accepted as having a link to hiatal hernia.
      I have reviewed the conflicting medical evidence and am providing the following opinion: The Veteran's esophageal condition is at least as
      likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of GERD, currently rated as hiatal hernia.

• By ardodd
      Improper handling of 1999 VA Compensation Claim
      I will do my best to present this in a short and respectful manner. I will do my best to truthfully represent all facts and evidence as it was presented in 1999 VA Claim. It is therefore I am seeking help in identifying any missing documents, missing evidence, non compliance of VA Regulations, etc...
      I will post the photo copies of the record on my C-file which I received in 2015. I will present the Claim as it was filed through the local VSO in Farmerville, Louisiana County/Parish: Union
      VA Compensation Claim for Albert Dodd
      Dated: 15 June, 1999 
      Copy of Claim Submission: ** ( All files are in PDF format and saved to my Google Drive ) ** ( View Only ) **
      VA Claim submitted on: 15 June 1999
      VA Claim Received on: 18 June 1999 ( Dept of Veterans Affairs New Orleans, LA )
      VA Form 21-526 Pg. 7
      VA Form 21-526 Pg. 8
      VA Form 21-526 Pg. 9
      VA Form 21-526 Pg. 10
      Authorization and Consent Included: 
      VA Form 21-4142 Pg. 1
      VA Form 21-4142 Pg.2
      ** ( Notes of Interest ) **
      Supporting Evidence Attachments:
      1) Certified copy of DD 214
      2) Copy of Discharge Account Summary ( Severance Pay ) ** ( My Certified True Copy from SMR ) ** 
      3) Copy of Findings of the Physical Evaluation Board ** ( My Certified True Copy from SMR ) **
      4) Copy of SMR's to support S/C Claim
      ** Physical Evaluation Board Decision **
      Pg. 1
      Pg. 2
      Pg. 3
      Pg. 4
      Pg. 5
      All Evidence and Supporting documents where sent in along with the Authorization and Consent ( VA Form 21-4142 ) for Release of Medical Records on June 15, 1999
      **** Dept of Veterans Affairs New Orleans, LA ****
      Intake of Evidence for VA Claim for Compensation for Albert Dodd
      Dated: 18 June 1999
      **** Timeline for Review of Evidence and Decision ****
      June 18, 1999 VA Claim Received
      June 25, 1999 VA Claim Reviewed
      July 08, 1999 Rating Decision ( R.M. LaCOMBRE, Rating Specialist )
      Rating Decision Pg. 1
      Rating Decision Pg. 2
      Rating Decision Pg. 3
      July 10, 1999 Compensation and Pension Award **( VA Form 21-8947 ) ** Signed into record
      July 12, 1999 Notice of Decision mailed out  **( Cover Sheet ) **
      **** Questions for CUE ****
      1) Duty to assist **( Did not attempt to help get copies of Hospital stay )**
      2) Duty to assist **( Failure to assist by not scheduling a medical exam for current medical condition(s) )**
      3) No Development Letter **( Failure to Notify Veteran of any further evidence needed to substantiate Claim )**
      I Albert Dodd do swear that all information is correct and included. If you or someone you know has information that would help me in getting the VA to correct this wrongful Decision please post your comments. 
  • Our picks

• I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 
    • e-Benefits Status Messages 

Claims Process – Your claim can go from any step to back a step depending on the specifics of the claim, so you may go from Pending Decision Approval back to Review of Evidence. Ebenefits status is helpful but not definitive. Continue Reading
      • 0 replies
    • I was rated at 10% for tinnitus last year by the VA. I went to my private doctor yesterday and I described to him the problems that I have been having with my sense of balance. Any sudden movement of my head or movement while sitting in my desk chair causes me to lose my balance and become nauseous. Also when seeing TV if there are certain scenes,such as movement across or up and down the screen my balance is affected. The doctor said that what is causing the problem is Meniere's Disease. Does any know if this could be secondary to tinnitus and if it would be rated separately from the tinnitus? If I am already rated at 10% for tinnitus and I could filed for Meniere's does any one know what it might be rated at? Thanks for your help. 68mustang
      • 15 replies
    • Feb 2018 on HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran. Sharing top posts and a few statistics with you.
      • 0 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67.