VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Experience with SSVF? And being 100%?

Hello Community,

I am getting ready to move from a homeless program for veteran's, into an apartment complex where my rent for a studio apartment is $1995 per month... :ohmy:

I used to qualify for VASH , but from what I am now being told, the maximum monthly income you are allowed to have is $2900 - and being 100% service connected now - in large part to discovering Had-It - I make 2906 , $6 over VASH limits.

So I've heard alot of things about an SSVF program that will help recently homeless vet's with security deposits and rent.  Anyone have past experience or good knowledge on this?  I was homeless for 3 years before going to jail for 6 months, and I've been in this program for 5 months, so It's been awhile since I've had an apartment and it's heavily stressing me out.

Thanks in advance.

VA Comp isn't considered income. Studio Apt for $1995 per mos, GTF out of here, is there a garage for your Jag? Did the VA Homeless Social Worker find this place for you?

If I've got this right, please correct me if I don't, you were homeless and now your about to spend almost 70% of your VA Comp on a Studio Apt, not even a house, right?

You might want to be concerned about the possibility of the VA Appointing a Fiduciary to oversee your Comp Account. Do you really think this expenditure makes sense? Maybe it's just me or am I missing something?

As of about 3 Months ago, rates are better now, VA Mtg @ 3.25% 30yr on a $300K Mtg was about $1450 P & I per month.

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

I would look around for something less expensive  around the 500/700 rage for a one bed room apt..some apt pay the utilities  ASK....   and some give a reduce rated to Disabled SSA / You need to let them know your  disabled Veteran.

If your not on SSDI you should go file for that too!

I know the cost of living is at an all time high and Rent is getting to be Ridiculously but they got to be something cheaper to rent out there. 2000 month for rent  WOW!

Remember you have other necessities to take care of Food & Cleaning Supplies!

What are you Service Connected For?

jmo

..........Buck

Edited by Buck52

Gastone, Buck, thanks for replying.

I failed to mention it's a luxury apartment in Hollywood, and right next door to the school I'm attending in November. 

http://www.sunsetandvine.com/

It is insanely expensive, and the surrounding area offers similar pricing. But Sunset+Vine I at least know the area, and 24 hour gym inside, luxury everything, coffee bar guiding my decision.

About 1 1/2 years ago I was living in my car, and was hit by an uninsured driver running a stop sign... rendering me to kick rocks with a C-bag full of clothes in a new state.  I got into some trouble and now have probation.   If not... man, I would be looking for a home in Colorado right now.  

So my GI Bill will pay the rent for the next year while I run probation out, then go to Colorado. 

I went to SSVF / VASH who seem to believe my VA Comp does in fact count as income. Should I go see them again and remind them that it's not considered income? 

Great suggestion for mentioning being a disabled Vet, I certainly hope there is some type of discount. 

Edited by Christheexplorer
Trimming

Your GI Bill is covering that rent nut? That's a hell of a Education Housing Stipend, $24K a year.

Sign Buck & Me up, your never to old to back to school. Even if we flunk out after a year, the view would be worth the trip. I could be an Old "Hollywood Marine" again.

What school are you attending?

I'll have to look into your SSVF/VASH  Comp as Earned Income situation. No prior experience with either program.

Semper Fi

Very True. The GI Bill continues what the military started, building good people by taking care of them financially.  A Hollywood Marine gets $2,400 monthly , that applies for Vocational Rehab also from what I understand.  

I'll be going to LA Recording School to major in Music Production [bachelor of Science degree].  18 month program .

So I am close to living in a luxury Hollywood apartment to go to school and study my passion. I am blessed. :tongue:

I think it would be pretty amazing and inspirational to get back into school [most school offer online too] at your age, what would you choose to study?  

I'm going back to the rapid rehousing office friday to see what they say about my award letter deliniating that comp benefits are not taxable income.