VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can hemorrhoids be linked to IBS or GERD

Rate this question

NMNavVet

Question

I had listed GERD, IBS, and hemorrhoid has disabilities in my claim.  VA decision states that GERD and IBS is clearly evidenced in my private and VA medical records but no evidence in Service Treatment Records.   Now, hemorrhoids is listed as evidenced in my Service Treatment Records, but nothing in private or VA records.  Because hemorrhoids is found in my service record, how can I establish an link to the private and VA evidences concerning GERD and IBS.   

5 answers to this question

First things first, were you granted service connection for the GERD or IBS?  

If you are a GW vet with qualifying service you may be able to claim it as presumptive.  You'll need to check the regs for the particulars on it to see if that applies.

Please post a redacted copy (no personal info) of the letter for the good folks here to view and that will make it easier to help you.

The following is from the VA Decision dated September 6, 2016:

6. Service Connection for hemorrhoids due to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.

We received your statement indicating that you are seeking service connection for hemorrhoids due to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.  Based on the evidence of record, we concede exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.

Service Treatment Records show that hemorrhoids manifested while in service.

VAMC records and the medical evidence received do not show that you have hemorrhoids.

My thoughts:  I am not a medical expert, but is hemorrhoids an symptoms of GERD and IBS?  Truthfully, I did not know that hemorrhoids was in my service records and having listed has manifested in the service does make it a great start.  Now I just need to connect to my VAMC and private medical records

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
4 hours ago, NMNavVet said:

The following is from the VA Decision dated September 6, 2016:

6. Service Connection for hemorrhoids due to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.

We received your statement indicating that you are seeking service connection for hemorrhoids due to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.  Based on the evidence of record, we concede exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.

Service Treatment Records show that hemorrhoids manifested while in service.

VAMC records and the medical evidence received do not show that you have hemorrhoids.

My thoughts:  I am not a medical expert, but is hemorrhoids an symptoms of GERD and IBS?  Truthfully, I did not know that hemorrhoids was in my service records and having listed has manifested in the service does make it a great start.  Now I just need to connect to my VAMC and private medical records

You'll need this to obtain SC:
1. Event in service: Got that -- ie.exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejune, listed in STR's
2. Current diagnosis: VA is saying you don't have this yet
3. Nexus/connection of 1 and 2, direct/secondary/presumptive

It might be a stretch for a doc to opine that roids are secondary to GERD, but it would be more reasonable for a doc to say IBS caused the roids.

My recommendation:
1. Go through your STR's and VAMC/private medical records, locate every instance where roids are mentioned
2. If you do not yet have a current diagnosis, go to your doc and get them checked objectively, noted, etc... Not fun... If your doc is willing to opine that the roids are "as likely as not", "more/most likely", or are "due to" your IBS, then that would be a big plus.
3. Submit each diagnosed record (including the roid nexus) to the VA

I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge in providing me some direction.  This includes, all of those vets who have experienced this complex process and willingly provide many of us with guidance.  on the above subject, I will review my records and get back with all of you.  thank you. be back. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, NMNavVet said:

I appreciate your wisdom and knowledge in providing me some direction.  This includes, all of those vets who have experienced this complex process and willingly provide many of us with guidance.  on the above subject, I will review my records and get back with all of you.  thank you. be back. 

Thank you for the kind comments.

We are or were in the similar boat of VA red tape at some point or another and it is not easy to wade through it alone. I hope you are able to find something promising. Good luck!