VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Treysnonna

Rate this question

treysnonna

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

That is difficult to determine. And the 646 will be probably prepared by someone not familiar with the  claim at all.

You could call your VSO to try to find out who is going to prepare the 646 and then maybe you can get a way to contact them....I learned that one of my former POAs had a office in or right next to the RO building, where another VSO would prepare 646s.

Only once in a while I see at the BVA, whereby a VSO raised a good argument on the 646. Usually,in my opinion, they just breeze over them.

I think a 646 should not be mandatory.If a POA doesn't want to try to enhance the claim and evidence,and support the claim with good argument, they should be able to waive the 646...that would save time.

I only had one experience with a 646.In spite of the fact the RO had ignored critical evidence and also violated my VCAA rights ( this was about 10 years ago) the 646 rep did nothing at all on the 646 to  attempt to correct the errors. (I got a copy of it after the claim was resolved.)The BVA agreed with the VCAA Violation but had all of the evidence the RO had ignored ( I also had sent it all again, but directly to the BVA myself) and awarded based on the medical evidence and acknowledged the 646 ,but never mentioned it.

Thanks Berta,. We did all American legion,. Talked to a guy that seemed really rude.  Acted like he was mad because we called.  Would not listen to what we were trying to tell him and talked over us.  I will call again next week, hope to get someone a little more understanding.  As for as my husbands case goes, whether or not his chronic kidney failure was caused by service connected diabetes, it is certainly aggravating it.  That is what I want him to push.  

Excellent information regarding the 646.

This is one of the reasons why the appeal is not forwarded to the BVA sooner.

Good analogy, Berta.

Can't say I've had the pleasure, or lack there-of, to be involved in a "646?" filing.

My Lay knowledge of the VA Appeals process is more DRO Hearing orientated.

Sounds like the "646" (I'll review it later) is associated with the Old & Still used, Reg A$$ BVA Appeal process. Could always be wrong, it's happened once or twice, but I can't recall ever reading of any Vet getting their Appeal Certified & Transferred to the BVA in under 18 mos. We're not talking about Vet's that meet the Hardship Advancement Criteria, just Reg A$$ Appeals.

How much time do you believe the Right or Wrong use of the "646" adds to the Appeal remaining at the Vet's RO?

Semper Fi