VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

To Flu Shot or Not to Flu Shot?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta

I believe Glenn Johnson mention on the hadit Radio Show a couple weeks ago  if you get your flu shot at Walgreens through ChampVA  they do record it electronically and send to the VA to be included in your Records.

it would be nice if they could mix them shots together and  have both vaccines in one injection vs taking one right after the other.

Mrs B, I just got the New Pneumonia Shot about a month ago, it wasn't available at my 09/15 PCP appointment.

Been about a week since my Flu Shot, no after affects. Looking forward to surviving another Flu Season.

Buck, don't be giving the VA any ideas on cutting cost by combining the Vaccines into 1 injection. If I have an adverse reaction to a shot, I want to know, not guess what caused it.

Semper Fi

I got the Flu shot for free, with my Medicare card. The Shingles shot was pricey (about 240 bucks ) but CHAMPVA paid 75 %  of it, so what I paid -59.00 was worth it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yep Ain't that the truth Gastone

• 3 months later...

My Husband got the pneumonia shot from the VA 27 Jan 2017.  2 Feb 2017 he passed.  With in 12 hrs he started having shortness of breath.  By hour 24 his stomach started to become distended.  Within 48 hrs his stomach even more distended he thought he was constipated and took a laxative; short of breath continued but worse.  He went to work the day of the shot, the day after, and the third day he came home early from work.  He had told me the night before to call TeleCare to see if he could go to the dr.  I called and they told me he would have to go to Lake Nona 65 miles away at the new VA Hospital; but, they could not help me he had to call them.  He came home from work early he was in terrible shape could barely walk stomach even more distended,  shortness of breath at severe levels.  I rushed him to the hospital down the road from the house less than 2 miles away.  He was immediately push to the head of the line.  By the time I walked into emergency he was being called to triage.  They did an ekg heart was good.  Dr was prodding around his abdomen  my husband was ok until they hit the area of the gall bladder.  They moved him to a room in emergency where his chest was x-rayed the dr was perplexed because his lungs looked good no major amount of any fluid if at all any.  They then proceeded to take him for a CT scan.  This scanned showed his gallbladder was enlarged.  A surgeon was notified, he came to the room and prodded around the abdomen this time no pain.  Stomach is really enlarged, breathing was worse but he was on oxygen as soon as he entered the room in emergency there was a nurse holding the nose thing for oxygen.  He is terrified at this point.  They start putting in IV's and started antibiotic regimen 3 bags plus saline.  Blood work shows infection.  After an hour of being on antibiotics his stomach started to go down.  Surgeon come in saying they might need to remove gallbladder. so another CT was done focusing on gallbladder.  This CT shows enlarged gallbladder but no stones.  The CT also shows what looks like part of his intestines and colon look dead.  So ultrasound was done on heart and intestines and colon.  I was watching the ultrasound monitor with the tech and the DR. His heart was beyond racing so they started heart medication to help slow it down. Now my husband normally has high blood pressure like 170/ 80, but his blood pressure was normal like that of a healthy person.  The Dr's are now befuddled because nothing is making sense.  By this time my husband is now using a oxygen mask to help with breathing this is when he is moved to ICU.  they get him as stable as they could he was doing good great blood pressure, blood oxygen was 98% since we first step into the hospital.  By this time I have said the how this happened maybe 100 times.  His stomach starts to enlarges again and still no pain.  I feel it is safe for me to go home.  I arrive at the hospital early to be with my husband.  This is when everything starts to take a turn for the worse.  He has been put on a BPAP machine.  He is trying to stay happy for me so I won't get worried.  He is complaining of hunger and thirst so I give him my water bottle and he sucks it down.  The DR'S have ordered another CT they said it would take about an hour, so I go down to the Cafeteria to get something to eat.  I get some food and eat I took an hour for lunch.  Toward the end of the hour the nurse calls me and tells me that he is back and I need to sign some paperwork for more medicine; bloodwork taken in the morning is showing sepsis.  I rush up there and sign paper work for him to receive Dialysis machine.  His kidneys are starting to shut down.  I am now terrified.  I was in the room with him talking the nurse starts to ask him questions and he crashes heart rate down to the 30's and looses conscience.  The nurse starts to do crash procedures other DR's and nurses are in the room I am slapping him on the face and gave him a horse bite on his thigh the nurse is yelling at him,  he returns to conscientiousness.  The DR orders intubation ask my permission and I said yes.  As they are getting the pulmonary people with the tube and machines, I am explaining to my husband they are going to have to intubate and he asks why so I explain what he just went through he is terrified and so am I.  His last words to me were keep trying and I now have to face the fact that my husband wants to be put on life support going against his own wishes.  They tell me it will take about an hour so I go downstairs and go outside.  I have made the decision to call his children he did not want his children up there while he was conscience but since they had to intubate they put him in LA LA land.  Those were the worst calls I have made in my life.  His children are notified and they start to arrive at the hospital.  While this is going on I am informing my family of his condition.  My father is taking it hard,  he has been going through his own hell with my mom in the hospital for a month and a half we almost lost her three times.  Now I have been worried about my mother as long as my father so I am calling him to check on her and he is asking about my husband and trying to give me all the support he can, he tells me to keep him informed about my husband.  They stabilize my husband and I let his children to go see him of course they are terrified and trying to give me all the support they can as I am reciprocating the same.  I am exhausted and the kids tell me to go home eat and rest they would stay at the hospital as long as they can.  At seven o'clock in the morning the hospital calls and tells me my husband had a very bad night he had crashed again with heart rate in the 20's.  the had to try a different form of dialysis because he was soo weak he could not handle the machine.  So I rush to the hospital and call the children to inform I also inform my family.  Everyone is panicking.  This is the third day in the hospital my husbands eldest son arrives from Gainsville.  He had come in late last night.  We are all praying he will get better his DR's are still staying positive because he can pull through this.  It was at eleven in the morning and he flat lines. I am in the room when this happens and I am trying to stay out of everyone's way and get out of the room.  He was down for less than ten minutes they bring him back tension is so thick you would need an industrial saw to cut threw it.  His children are panicking I am trying to support them as they are me.  My husband has just died on me.  My last words to him before intubation were do not go into the light.  The nurse and the DR. tell me I should go home and get something to eat and gather my bearings.  My step children agree; so I go home to get some yogurt and try to calm down.  Yeah Right like I can calm down.  I get home and go to open the garage door and my phone rings it is my step daughter is telling me to rush back he is flat lining again.   The road to the hospital is 30 mph, I was driving 60 mph to the  hospital.  I arrive at the hospital they are doing compressions he has been out 10 minutes.  They bring him back, I was terrified I have just witnessed my husband dying for the second time. I am in shock  I cannot believe this is happening the Dr's are going crazy trying to find out what the hell is going on with him.  My children take me to the waiting room we were not there ten minutes and code blue is on the intercom.  My youngest stepdaughter who is 30 yrs old races to the Ice ward I am running after her telling her to go back to the waiting room she tells me NO now the rest of the kids are with me and we are witnessing the third flat lining.  I am tell my step son to call his mother so she can help try to calm her daughter.  My children's' mother comes and she is holding me and her daughter tightly.  I am in a whirlwind of hell and reality.  My husbands ex-wife is doing her best to keep me from collapsing my step sons are holding me up because my legs are starting to buckle.  I am in pain because I have not taking any of my medication.  I too am a vet who goes to the same VA as my husband.  I cannot support myself with my cane my pain is excruciating but I am not complaining about it because I am focusing all my energy to my husband trying to keep him alive.  The Dr's have stabilized my husband his heart rate is in the 80's blood pressure is low but oxygen stats are 98%.  My youngest and her mother and I go to the cafeteria to get sometime to eat. It is about 3pm on 2 Feb 2017. We have lunch and talk about my husband telling stories of his hijinks and his muck ups.  I told my husbands ex-wife about some Vietnam photos he has and how sexy he was. I told her had I been born earlier (I was born in 1970 my husband was born in 1951). I would have given her a run for her money cause If I had seen him I wanted him.  We joke about it and told more stories and we were trying to figure out which one of us had the better her when he was young and married to her or me cause I had him in his hard core years. We talked about the concerts he and I went to like the Moody Blues, Crosy Stills Nash and Young, The Who and  the Rolling Stones.  She said I won I had the fun and exciting guy.  I told her thank you.  We get back to ICU and I go in and visit with him I am giving him kisses and telling him to hold on you can get out this and be healthy.  I have been having the priests and chaplains coming by and praying and anointing him.  The chaplains I had cried to told me that they were going to call in the big guns there was a priest who said he was the closest to God, I told them yes, please, please save my husbands life.  The chaplains and I prayed for my husband and they prayed for me to have the strength to continue on.  I don't go to church; but, I do believe in God cause I know he exists.  I told the chaplains what God has done for me and they realized that I have a stong belief in God.  I go back to ICU and sit outside my husbands room looking at the monitors hoping and praying he will come out of this.  His heart rate was 80 blood pressure was 150/ 65, oxygen 98% every one was worried but happy that he is stabile.  The priest comes and anoints him and prays.  My husbands eldest son was in the room with me and he was wondering why in my sons own term speaking in tongues over his father.  I told him they were Latin me being stupid just said the first language that came out of my mouth.  He was speaking in ancient Hebrew.  I had told the priests, please bring in the big guns and they did.  I decided to go home and get my husbands Zelda blanket I got him for his Birthday and his sweater he has had since the 70's; he said it had magical healing powers when he was sick he would wear this sweater.  I asked the Dr. and the nurse if it was okay to do that.  They said yes they encouraged it because the Dr's could not figure out what is going on.  I have forgot to tell you about the blood in my husbands stomach. the second night he was there at the hospital they discovered blood in his stomach and could not figure out why.  I told them my husband had a endoscopy and colonoscopy Jan 2, 2017 at Lake Nona The New VA hospital.  The told him they found something and took a biopsy of it and said it was negative not to worry.  So ok now back to the 3rd day I am talking to the dr's about the whole thing the endoscopy / colonoscopy, and the pneumonia shot again for the 50,000th time.  This time the Infectious disease Dr. wanted his VA medical records the nurse brings the paperwork the Dr. fills it out and has me sign it. It is now 6pm the 2 of Feb 2017.  My husband flat lines again all the Dr.'s and nurses are in the room compressions start and continues on for 12 min.  The priest has his arm around me telling me to let go the Dr. is telling me his body could survive but the brain was not getting enough blood, so he would be alive but he would not be my husband by this time the Dr. is holding me tight and I make the call the Dr. verifies it with me and I nodded and said yes so compressions stopped last pulse check showed nothing and at 6:16 the 2 of Feb. 2017 my husband died.

So I am asking, can you tell me if the VA is responsible for the murder of my Husband.  I do not know what to do.  Can someone help me.

I apologize for writing a novel but this has been my last 8 days.  

I am a widow too...the VA caused my husband's death.I am glad you documented here what happened as you remember it.

I am sure an autopsy was done by the hospital...but maybe not...but then again why not?

And I don't imagine they have prepared the Death Certificate yet.???

The death certificate will give a cause of death and any underlying conditions that contribute to his death.

However the autopsy will give much more detailed info.

My husband died in our barn.47 years old. He was an organ donor so the Organ bank called me immediately to set up the autopsy for free.A full autopsy is required for organ donors.

I had no idea at all how important that autopsy would be when I got his VA medical records and re-opened his pending Section 1151 claim  and filed FTCA against the USA for wrongful death.

There is extensive info here under the FTCA/1151 forums as to how to file and support these types of claims.

He might have had a serious adverse reaction to the FLU shot VA gave him.

I am confused as to whether the VA treated him in the days prior to his death or was that a private hospital?

I told them my husband had a endoscopy and colonoscopy Jan 2, 2017 at Lake Nona The New VA hospital. "

That might be where his problems began.

These claims (FTCA and 1151 claims) require bonafide prime facie evidence of VA malpractice.

I sure hope an autopsy was done, because , as I said, autopsies can be crucial to proving wrongful death.

I will find some of the links here that you need to read.