• hate-ads-subscribe-now.jpg

• Ad
  • Ad
  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ad

i see a lot of things on line regarding time frame. most start with the word NOD,,,, well im trying to get a real conversation on time frame. im not asking about returns to bva or when your appeal started,, i know that info.... MY QUESTION IS,,, ONCE YOU MET THE JUDGE IN DC AND DISCUSSED YOUR CASE AND HE SAID THATS THAT,, NOW WAIT FOR MY DECISION,,,,,, HOW LONG IS NORMAL..... HOW LONG IS NORMAL TO WAIT FOR A JUDGE TO MAKE A DECISION ON A CASE HE HAS PRECIDED OVER?

16 answers to this question

The Judge that presides over your BVA Hearing, isn't necessarily the Decision Judge. Give Chris Attig (VETLaw Site) a read, regarding his face to face discussion with a Sr BVA Decision Making Judge, regarding the BVA Decision making process.

My take away, the BVA Hearing Judge is like a Sr Law Clerk, hears the Appeal, makes sure all the Legal I's & T's are dotted & crossed. Then presents the Case to the SR BVA Decision making Judge, possibly along with a recommendation. Not unusual for final Decisions to take up to a yr, if not remanded.

Spend some time reviewing 2015 & 16 BVA Decisions, what's your conclusion, time wise? You mention you have a BVA Docket 2015, that's when your RO Certified your Appeal as complete at the RO and transferred it to the BVA. You won't have a BVA Hearing until after receiving the "New & Material Evidence Cutoff Letter."  You didn't apply for a Hardship Bump to the front of the Hearing Line, right?

The date of your NOD Filing 2010, has nothing to do with your eventual BVA Docket number. For whatever reasons, your Appeal stayed at your RO up till 2015. Did you opt for the BVA Immediately or did you attempt the DRO Review or Hearing route 1st?

Semper Fi

• Like 2

your response is very thorough. ill answer best i can..

my case was heard in DC at BVA in may 2015.

i had 4 appealls rolling and they snuck the oldest contentions into the last. in other words... my oldest appeals getting certified got rolled into my 1 appeal so id only have 1 hearing. 

on my oldest appeal i opted for a dro first then after 3 ssox,, i went for the right to have it heard before the bva. along with that a new claim that went to a nod i ended up saying no to the percentage and date. so i opted for the right of a bva hearing. they put all this together and created a docket # that goes with the newest.

You were Rep'd 05/2015 at the BVA DC Hearing, by whom, Attorney or VSO-Rep? What contact have you had from either the BVA or your appeals Rep regarding your wait-time?

For what this may be worth, I just got a CAVC Status report from a good friend. His 2015 BVA Denial docket 15 27?, which he opted to proceed to the CAVC, Decision had been posted 12/2016. Both Appealed issues had been remanded.

He had been unable to find a "for Fee" attorney to rep him at the BVA Hearing. On my advice, he had contacted Attig's Law firm, they begged off citing they were overloaded with cases. Probably not enough Retro at the BVA Level. I told him to check out the DC Pro Bono Law Firm, which ended up reping him at the BVA and CAVC.

The DC Firm represented him Pro Bono at the DC BVA Hearing but were Awarded about $18K in Legal Fees from the CAVC Hearing.  Although he didn't get an actual Award, the Remand was considered a win as to Legal Fees.

After reading the extensive Remand instructions issued by the CAVC, taking into consideration the CAVC Direction for expedited handling of the Remand, the Vet's probably looking at another 12 - 16 months for a Decision.

Semper Fi

they put all this together and created a docket # that goes with the newest."

You mean the docket number was changed?

I just checked my BVA case....filed claim early 2003, appealed 2004 decision,awarded May 2009 by the BVA,(after a very brief remand),RO finally paid what they owed me in  2010 ( first case of it's kind so that was a battle)...but the docket number never changed.....

You had a BVA hearing in May 2015?

My question is the same as Gastones:

"You were Rep'd 05/2015 at the BVA DC Hearing, by whom, Attorney or VSO-Rep? What contact have you had from either the BVA or your appeals Rep regarding your wait-time? "

Have you contacted the BVA yourself?

Their contact numbers are here at hadit.

Also as Gastone said:

"The date of your NOD Filing 2010, has nothing to do with your eventual BVA Docket number. "

That is correct. After I filed the AO DMII claim in 2003 that the BVA awarded, I also filed a Cue Claim in 2003, as well as one in 2004, that R0 had denied and that I had appealed.

Those claims sat at my RO until 2010 when they were set for BVA transfer, but by then I had filed a AO IHD death claim and the Nehmer VARO,per my request, adjudicated those 2 CUEs and awarded them.

They had been filed prior to the Nehmer claim , not sent to BVA yet, and I stated to Nehmer RO that they were contingent on a proper IHD AO death award.

My point is to support what Gastone stated. I also believe my monetary issue with the RO on the DMII claim,which BVA awarded in 2009 (and which took the OGC to resolve, by sending them the same regulations I had sent them-which they ignored) was still an open issue when Nehmer got my AO IHD claim...all separate claim issues.

I dont understand how the BVA could roll everything into one pending appeal.......with a new docket number?...

Edited by Berta

ill try to answer.

so, from what ive read on various web sites,, first the denial then the nod then then appeal starts. now, vet has choice to bva hearing or video bva hearing. then the RO gets all things together and sends for a formal receipt to the bva to be doceted. now, this docet is supposed to go with the dates the appeal was asked for NOT THE DATE THE BVA AFFIRMED THE APPEAL AT THE BVA... SO that was just my understanding.

i had a hearing at the DC office of BVA. i Had an American Legion Rep with me and a Nurse who knew my Nedical evidence.

what i ment by rolling appeals into 1,,,, so i had 4 contentions that all had different NOD dates. the bva sent me a letter Febuary 2015 stating that they granted me a hearing date on may 2015. i checked Ebennies and the site showed that 2 contentions where decided. i called the bva. they stated that because all contentions arrived on or around the same time they rolled all into one appeal docket number giving it a docket number as the last one that arrived. 

when i arrived at the hearing,,, the judge said what we are here for and what was up on appeal... i said NO... PLEASE LOOK AND SEE THAT THE OTHER CONTENTIONS WHERE ROLLED INTO THIS DATE. HE SEEN THE NOTES AND AGREED AND PROCEEDED TO HEAR ALL 4...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Uno
      I have to say I don’t really have a question YET, but I wanted to share my story as It makes for an interesting read.  Feel free to comment…
      In 1987 I was medically discharged from the Army for Subluxing Bicep tendon Bilateral.  I went to the VA and they agreed and issued 10% rating for each shoulder.  In 1993 I had a C&P Exam and I was all better so they say and reduced it to 0% in each shoulder.  Now keep in mind nothing was on the internet because it didn’t exist and I was young and uninformed so it never occurred to me to get my medical exams. I knew something was still wrong as I lived with shoulder problems since then.  Lets fast forward to 2013 when my shoulders were beginning to get worse with the right shoulder leading the way I decided to see a VSO and he opened a claim for my right shoulder.  I went to the c&P Exam and the PA found it was Subluxing bicep tendon, he also mentioned that he was looking at my records on his system and said my last exam was 1993, a few months later I received a decision that said they found right shoulder impingement syndrome and shoulder instability and rated each at 20% and left the original Subluxing Bicep Tendon at 0%. The VSO also filled out paperwork for me to get a copy of all my C&P Exams. As time passed I received some of the C&P Exams but not the one from 1993 so I requested it gain by the exact year and received a phone call from a lady saying she cannot find one from that year and she even looked in the boxes in the basement.  Going forward about a year or so later my left shoulder began to worsen so I went to a different VSO and they filled out a claim for the left shoulder. After the C&P Exam I went back to the VSO and they printed me off a copy of the exam and opinion and while I was there I mentioned that the VA has misplaced an exam I had from 1993 and after a few clicks on their system they said here it is and they printed off a copy and also mentioned that I shouldn’t tell anyone as they are not supposed to do that.  So after reviewing the new exam it said I had rotator cuff tears, shoulder instability, impingement syndrome and guarding all movement of both shoulders.  I also reviewed the exam from 1993 and it said they didn’t find subluxing bicep tendon but they did find significant rotator cuff grinding and impingement syndrome of both shoulders right worse the left.  I also read the  opinion from the recent left shoulder exam  and it said it was less likey connected because there is no known mechanism that would put what I have now with what I was discharged for. So like you have to do with all exams I began typing up by corrections to the exam and I also noted that the significant rotator cuff grating and impingement was first diagnosed in 1993 and it was the VA’s responsibility to request at that time whether it was service connected and since it wasn’t done then we have to say that there is a 50/50 chance that the Dr. would have said it was since we cant go back and ask him now and I sent it in.  So a few months later I get a decision that says its not service connected and didn’t say way and it didn’t recited any laws or anything like that so I file a NOD while getting the NOD ready I did a search on the internet about Subluxing bicep tendon and rotator cuff tears and found a lot of information connecting the two so I printed off one and also got a Doctor of Physical Therapy to review my records including the 1993 exam and she wrote a very detailed opinion on the connection between the two with a conclusion of its more likely than not directly connected and I sent it all in with the nod requesting a DRO .  Fast forward a year or so and I get a call from the VA to schedule another C&P Exam and I could see where this is going so I pick the same place knowing I would get the same examiner.  After the exam I download a copy of it and wouldn’t you know I no longer have torn rotator cuff and I am not guarding all movement along with many other things that have disappeared from the last exam and to top it all off they asked the NP who’s certification and specialty is family practice to opine on a statement from a Dr. who’s specialty is the musculoskeletal system which of course she keeps saying throughout her opinion that I was first diagnosed with impingement syndrome in 2015 when it is actually 1993 so now I have to again write and state that they need to change that date to the correct one which is 1993.  I can’t believe that people will go through so much effort to not acknowledge a date the changes everything.  Its tooo funny and sad at the same time.  What’s really funny is that somehow they found the connection in 2014 but can’t seem to find it now.
    • By Wayne TX
      Back in May 2015 had a IME/IMO exam and was told I should put in a claim for deviated septum cause I had surgery for same while on active duty and again the same exact surgery in 2009 at VA.  I had no intention of applying for it until it was brought up.  I went ahead and submitted and  it got denied, did an NOD and still sitting in Appeal now.  I have not had any additional deviated septum surgeries since filing (2015) and no more clinical indications another surgery is needed therefore MY QUESTION: 
      (1) Does the fact I have had two surgeries mean anything as far as service connection goes or.... 
      (2) is this just a lame duck I should cut loose since no more surgeries have occurred since 2009. 
      Final question,  if still sitting and waiting on multiple Appeals does dropping one of those Appeals speed the others along any faster or does it even matter?  Can those on Appeal be processed individually at any point in time that RO decides to overturn same..... or do they wait until all of the Appeals made and filed together are fully decided one way or another?  Just seeking some opinion on this from more seasoned folks in Forum.
    • By Armypilot44
      Hello all, Thanks for adding me as this is my first post.  I am an Iraqi Veteran and left service in 2010.  I filed my first claims myself between 2010 and 2013 for Obstructive Lung Disease, Tinnitus, and Polyarthralgia linked to Lyme Disease.  For each of those claims, I only submitted VA 21-4138's and articles from medical journals supporting my claim.  After Extensive C&P exams, I was granted the tinnitus and the Polyarthralgia, but only service connected at 0% for the lung disease.  2 years later I resubmitted for asthma as the symptoms had gotten more severe and I was now on a steroid inhaler daily.  I was then granted 30% for asthma.  
      Moving forward a few years, I have now developed Sleep Apnea, and after a year of CPAP treatment, I decided to use "Vet Comp and Pen" for help for my claim.  With all of my civilian medical treatment records, and CPAP prescription, they were successful at combining my Asthma rating with the OSA awarding my 50%.  I filed with the new Decision Ready Claim and within 6 day of the VA made their favorable decision.
      A few weeks later I attempted to submit a new claim for GERD through "Vet Comp and Pen". I supplied them with medical treatment records showing an Esophagram in 2006, Endoscopies in (2007, 2012, 2016, and 2 in 2017), another Esophagram in 2017, a Bravo PH Monitoring exam in 2017, and an Esophageal Manometry in 2017.  All test show Esophagitis Grade B, Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease with Esophagitis, Erosive Esophagitis Stage III, Hiatal Hernia, Diaphragmatic Hernia, and Duodenitis.  I have been on Omeprazole 40mg since 2012, and have continual heartburn, acid reflux, a persistent cough, arm and shoulder pain, and worst of all, regurgitation of food, and vomiting acid into my mouth while sleeping.  I was attempting to file this claim as a secondary service connection attributed to the daily dosage of NSAID's like naproxen, and Ibuprofen along with the Symbicort Inhaler usage.  Unfortunately with all of the medical evidence I supplied them, "Vet Comp and Pen" only instructed me to submit a 21-4138 personal statement and a VA 21-256.  Basically nothing was submitted in support of my claim, not one shred of evidence, no IMO, no Lay evidence, nothing to establish NEXUS.  I even made three phone calls to Vet Comp and Pen confirming this is what they wanted me to do.  Needless to say, after submitting it as a Decision Ready Claim as instructed, it was denied after the VA had it in their possession for 6 days. 
      Correct me if I am wrong, but I think instead of going through a long and lengthy appeal process, it may be more beneficial and easier to file again as a new claim.  This time I will be going through the DAV again but this time submitting a 21-4138 personal statement, a VA 21-256, all of my medical procedures, and plenty of medical journal evidence showing the link between NSAID's, Asthma inhalers and GERD.  I am also having my Gastroenterologist complete a VA 21-0960G-1for Esophageal Conditions. 
      The problem that I am running into is the NEXUS.  I was in the Army National Guard from 1996 - 2010.  I had Lyme disease in 1998 and had chronic arthritis pretty much from that time on continuously taking NSAID's.  I saw a civilian Gastroenterologist in 2006 and 2007 prior to my last deployment to Iraq in 2008 - 2009.  Unfortunately being a helicopter pilot in the Army, any type of medical issue had the high probability of grounding you rendering you useless to your unit.  I self medicated with Prevacid and Tums until I returned home from my deployment and a friend urged me to see a Dr again explaining the problems if left untreated ie, Esophageal Cancer.  I am looking for someone that can review all of my evidence and compose a solid Independent Medical Opinion connecting my symptoms to the required usage of NSAID's and Steroidal Inhalers for my Service Connected Polyarthralgia and Asthma.  
      Any help, suggestions, and input would be much appreciated.
      Thank you
    • By hcorcoran01
      I appealed for an earlier date for PTSD and Individual Unemployability.  I received my 100% December 10, 2010, and appealed to the date I originally applied for benefits (November 2007).  I just received the Order approving both but the Order states "It is granted, subject to controlling regulations governing the payment of monetary awards".
      Does this mean that I get no back pay - as I didn't receive any back pay - just got the approval from Veterans Law Judge, Board of Appeals.  Should I appeal the fact that I received no back pay?
      Any help would be appreciated!
    • By kent101
      I looked at my C-File and the reason they denied my sinusitis was that they said I had no treatment for it in my medical records. In one of my medical records it shows that I told my doctor I had sinusitis. The doctor didn't treat me for it after I told him about it. So the VA says because the doctor didn't treat me for sinusitis that it doesn't matter if I mentioned I had it. At my C&P exam the doctor said it was more likely than not that my sinusitis was caused during basic training. The C&P doctor said also that I had allergic rhinitis. On my last claim I applied for rhinitis and they denied that too. The C&P doctor years before then said that my rhinitis was more likely than not caused during my service too. It's been 5 years so far waiting for my BVA appeal. When I wrote the letter I said "How's it my fault that the doctor failed to treat me for sinusitis when I reported it"? Do you think I'll be giving this sinusitis disability rating or not?
    • By Ojeezy38
      I was wondering if anybody can tell me what it means when the appeal goes from with vlj to administrative process.Any ideas what that means is it good bad would be greatly appreciated..Thanks..
    • By Lemuel
      I received the third response from the VA GC to the CAVC order to correct my RBA by replacing documents obviously missing and relevant in the RBA from the hard copy of my Medical File OPTR and IPTR maintained by the Medical Division.   Apparently they were just dumped into contract warehouses without adequate record keeping when the VA finally computerized the Progress Notes and Examination Records.  The Pharmacy records and Lab records have been computerized since the late 1980s making it evident that there should be accompanying OPTR and IPTR to match that were requested and at one time in the Comp & Pen hard copy file but were not there when scanned into the computerized record. It has now been over 45 days since the CAVC issued the Order to Correct the RBA to the Secretary.  I'm waiting for another 45 days to make it 90 days, 6 responses from the VA GC without the directed "status report" (only stating they are responding) before submitting a request for court ordered stipulations on what the missing records show.   Am I on track for this?
    • By Ojeezy38
      Wats up Vets?I have a question.I had two appeals one has been with the Vlj since 12/09/17 for ptsd increase and another one for irritable colon,exema or dermititis on both feet that status was not even recieved at the board..Well now the second appeal is closed and location at the board .I only have my ptsd appeal with Vlj.Anybody have a idea what happened?Thanks for your help
    • By Trefflek
      In 2002 i applied for disability claim with VA and it was 100% denied, then i appealed at the time and several items were accepted and i was given a rating in 2003.  Many years have passed by and im re visiting my claim due to allot more pain.  What i'm wondering is if i can appeal again for a higher rating along with hopefully getting other service connected issues approved this time?  I feel it was done quick and minimal just to get me to go away since they initially denied 4 different surgeries while active duty.   
      I also have my first scheduled Dr appointment to get assigned a primary care dr at VA in 2 weeks.  Wondering if i should cancel that appointment till im done with an appeal?  Kind of worried i may be shooting myself in the foot seeing their dr before a possible appeal.  
      Any thoughts would be great.
    • By Austin
      So I had a C & P appointment. I got an attorney a couple years ago after my claim was denied. My claim is for Bipolar, PTSD, and Depression. My attorney sent a NOD a little over 2 years ago and I was scheduled for a C & P appointment. The examiner that I had was the same examiner that I had on the claim I was initially denied on. He basically said "there wasn't anything wrong with me after the service". So I had my C & P appointment and the examiner pulled a note that described me mentioning taking anti-depressants prior to the military. I honestly forgot about this. I have attached the nexus letter which makes a link to the military aggravating my condition. Could someone please explain to me what can happen next? I was initially thinking award. But I'm wondering if they are going to ask for records prior to my military(teenage and young adult)... which I wouldn't be able to produce. I'm kinda freaking out because it seems like the link was made but not in the way I was expecting. 
      Attached nexus---
       2. Current Diagnoses    -------------------    a. Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: unspecified bipolar disorder           ICD code: F31.9
          b. Medical diagnoses relevant to the understanding or management of the       Mental Health Disorder (to include TBI): none
          3. Differentiation of symptoms    -----------------------------    a. Does the Veteran have more than one mental disorder diagnosed?       [ ] Yes   [X] No           c. Does the Veteran have a diagnosed traumatic brain injury (TBI)?       [ ] Yes   [ ] No   [X] Not shown in records reviewed           4. Occupational and social impairment    ------------------------------------    a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational       and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only       one)       [X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas,           such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood    b. For the indicated level of occupational and social impairment, is it       possible to differentiate what portion of the occupational and social       impairment indicated above is caused by each mental disorder?       [ ] Yes   [ ] No   [X] No other mental disorder has been diagnosed           c. If a diagnosis of TBI exists, is it possible to differentiate what portion       of the occupational and social impairment indicated above is caused by the       TBI?       [ ] Yes   [ ] No   [X] No diagnosis of TBI                                          SECTION II:                                   ----------                               Clinical Findings:                               -----------------    1. Evidence Review    -----------------    Evidence reviewed (check all that apply):        [X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA)    [X] CPRS
          2. History    ---------
       Page 26 of 139
          a. Relevant Social/Marital/Family history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          The Veteran has been married for approximately one year; he said lately          their relationship has had problems because he feels his wife has not          understood his problems.              b. Relevant Occupational and Educational history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          The Veteran said he had had eight jobs in the past year. He completed a          bachelor's degree in psychology at UCA a year ago.              c. Relevant Mental Health history, to include prescribed medications and       family mental health (pre-military, military, and post-military):          The Veteran is followed in mental health at CAVHS. He takes lamictal,          prazosin, and lithium carbonate. He also sees a private counselor.              d. Relevant Legal and Behavioral history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          n/a              e. Relevant Substance abuse history (pre-military, military, and       post-military):          The Veteran reports drinking every day, having two 30-packs over the          course of a week. His last marijuana use was about two and a half years          ago.              f. Other, if any:          n/a              3. Stressors    -----------    Describe one or more specific stressor event(s) the Veteran considers    traumatic (may be pre-military, military, or post-military):        a. Stressor #1: hearing a soldier getting raped              Does this stressor meet Criterion A (i.e., is it adequate to support          the diagnosis of PTSD)?          [X] Yes  [ ] No                    Is the stressor related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military or          terrorist activity?          [ ] Yes  [X] No                    Is the stressor related to personal assault, e.g. military sexual          trauma?          [X] Yes  [ ] No
       Page 27 of 139
                    4. PTSD Diagnostic Criteria    --------------------------    No response provided.
          5. Symptoms    ----------    For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that actively apply to the    Veteran's diagnoses:           [X] Depressed mood       [X] Anxiety       [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood       [X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social           relationships       [X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a           worklike setting       [X] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships       [X] Suicidal ideation
          6. Behavioral Observations    -------------------------    The Veteran was cooperative. He displayed some dysphoria.
          7. Other symptoms    ----------------    Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to PTSD (and other    mental disorders) that are not listed above?       [ ] Yes   [X] No           8. Competency    ------------    Is the Veteran capable of managing his or her financial affairs?       [X] Yes   [ ] No           9. Remarks, (including any testing results) if any    -------------------------------------------------       The Veteran's symptoms appear to be more consistent with a mood disorder       than with those of PTSD. He reported depression while still in the       military, but also reported he had been treated for depression prior to       the military. In today's examination the Veteran denied depression prior       to the military but then conceded it was possible he had been depressed as       a teenage, but could not recall details of his depression or the treatment       he received. However, the same note indicated that in 2007 the Veteran       reported that he had responded well to medication, suggesting that it was       possible that his depression was relatively mild.
       Page 28 of 139
             The Veteran's current bipolar disorder is severe. Therefore, it is more       likely than not that any mood disorder present before the Veteran's       military service was exacerbated by his time in the military.
             Given the Veteran's ability to complete a bachelor's degree, I did not       find evidence that his bipolar disorder precluded all employment; however,       it definitely makes it difficult for him to sustain employment.           NOTE: VA may request additional medical information, including additional    examinations if necessary to complete VA's review of the Veteran's
    • By AirForceVet81
      hello all.....does anyone know of a ballpark timeline for dro hearings at the atlanta r o ?
    • By Mikey5311
      This is a "research administration" question and how to include it in my NOD.
      I'm completing my NOD, I have physician reports, etc. I will also rely on articles published in medical journals.
      When I quote from the journal, I will always state the reference, (of course). But do I need to attach the entire paper in my attachments?
      Sounds silly? But my concern is that if I attach only the pertinent page, the evidence will be "disqualified" as being incomplete. The NOD will be about 3 pages, but with "complete" articles about 40 pages.
    • By NODAppealSecondary
      Filed a claim for Esophageal Stricture (DC 7203) Secondary to SC GERD.  Below is result of C&P Exam.  Seems pretty straight forward.  VSRO asks if Stricture is at least as likely as not due to GERD. Examiner responds in the affirmative.  Decision letter mentions nothing about esophageal stricture and continues disability rating for GERD for 30%.  Viewed many BVA decisions where 7203 can be rated separately and is not considered pyramiding.  Filed for Stricture Secondary to GERD after recent EGD Exam diagnosed me with Schatzki ring and Eosinophilic Esophagitis.  Both of which cause narrowing of the esophagus.
      DBQ GI Esophageal (including GERD & hiatal hernia):
      TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED: Secondary Service connection.
      The Veteran's esophageal condition is at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of
      GERD, currently rated as hiatal hernia.
      RATIONALE: EGD Report dated 9/8/17 supports esophagitis which has been
      linked to chronic reflux of GERD/hiatal hernia. Veteran has no other documented condition to which it could be related.
      supplemental data:  https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/hiatal-hernia
      a. Opinion from general remarks: DBQ GI Esophageal (including GERD & hiatal hernia):
      TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED: Secondary Service connection.
      Is the Veteran's esophageal condition, stricture at least as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of GERD?
      TAB A: Bedford VAMC Treatment Records, 02/06/2013 to present
      TAB B: EGD Report
      b. Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: GI
      a. The condition claimed is at least as likely as not (50% or greater
      probability) proximately due to or the result of the Veteran's service connected condition.
      c. Rationale: Recent EGD with biopsies supports esophagitis which is mediaclly accepted as having a link to hiatal hernia.
      I have reviewed the conflicting medical evidence and am providing the following opinion: The Veteran's esophageal condition is at least as
      likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) proximately due to or the result of GERD, currently rated as hiatal hernia.

• By ardodd
      My question is about De Novo Review and how the DRO reviews the evidence.
      In my DRO hearing I raised the several questions about the Denial of Compensation.
      Question 1)
      I addressed the DRO in asking how the VA could change the diagnosis from "Bilateral Patellofemoral Syndrome" to "Osteoarthritis"?
      Clearly I was Discharged with "Bilateral Patellofemoral Syndrome" under VA Code 5003-5099
      they're basing on traumatic arthritis...okay.
      I'm not 20 years old no more [sic]...
      patellofemoral syndrome has progressed from 
      that on up and on up until now we've got an
      end result of osteoarthritis.
      So, the medical exam... everything's pointing...
      saying, well, we're denying you for the
      patellofemoral, but we're gonna give you
      No, that's not... that's not the case.
      Well, that's...
      ...what it says right here.
      ...you're essentially service-connected for your
      knee condition, whether...you know...it's...it
      may be called different things, but essentially
      that is what you're service-connected for...is
      your knee condition. We can't...we don't...we
      can't evaluate it by splicing out different
      diagnoses or your...you know...involving your
      knee. We evaluate based on...like...what we
      discussed earlier...you know...your range of
      motion...instability...that kind of thing.
      Power of Attorney:
      They're saying that your patellofemoral
      syndrome has progressed to the point where
      there's osteoarthritis at this point and that's...
      that's what you have right now.
      That's what I got right now...
      Power of Attorney:
      ...but they're still not warranting...they're...they
      were denying the patellofemoral.
      Power of Attorney: 
      Mmm. They're just saying it's...it's not
      Power of Attorney:
      ...anymore it's...it's arthritis now.
      Well, that's the word they used...they denied it.
      Power of Attorney:
      Oh, well, they shouldn't have said that.
      Yeah, and I'm...I'm not sure that that was a...
      you know...a completely accurate description in
      there, but...
      Well, because...I mean...
      All right, do you have anything else?
      And then the DRO closes out by stating that this Appeal is only about the related evaluation of the knee condition. And if I wanted a earlier effective date I would have to file a Claim for it.
      My question is if it is a Review of Claim then why is the DRO only going to look at the evaluation and not the complete claim? I mean he is suppose to be bi-partisan and look at all evidence objectively.
      Should the DRO of looked at the whole Claim because it was a Reopened Claim ? 
  • Our picks

• I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67. 
    • e-Benefits Status Messages 

Claims Process – Your claim can go from any step to back a step depending on the specifics of the claim, so you may go from Pending Decision Approval back to Review of Evidence. Ebenefits status is helpful but not definitive. Continue Reading
      • 0 replies
    • I was rated at 10% for tinnitus last year by the VA. I went to my private doctor yesterday and I described to him the problems that I have been having with my sense of balance. Any sudden movement of my head or movement while sitting in my desk chair causes me to lose my balance and become nauseous. Also when seeing TV if there are certain scenes,such as movement across or up and down the screen my balance is affected. The doctor said that what is causing the problem is Meniere's Disease. Does any know if this could be secondary to tinnitus and if it would be rated separately from the tinnitus? If I am already rated at 10% for tinnitus and I could filed for Meniere's does any one know what it might be rated at? Thanks for your help. 68mustang
      • 15 replies
    • Feb 2018 on HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran. Sharing top posts and a few statistics with you.
      • 0 replies
    • I have a 30% hearing loss and 10% Tinnitus rating since 5/17.  I have Meniere's Syndrome which was diagnosed by a VA facility in 2010 yet I never thought to include this in my quest for a rating.  Meniere's is very debilitating for me, but I have not made any noise about it because I could lose my license to drive.  I am thinking of applying for additional compensation as I am unable to work at any meaningful employment as I cannot communicate effectively because of my hearing and comprehension difficulties.  I don't know whether to file for a TDUI, or just ask for additional compensation.  My county Veterans service contact who helped me get my current rating has been totally useless on this when I asked her for help.  Does anyone know which forms I should use?  There are so many different directions to proceed on this that I am confused.  Any help would be appreciated.  Vietnam Vet 64-67.