VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Doctor, all meds she now wants changed ignoring previous doctor

Rate this topic

Got a new primary care doctor who is very condescending and refuses to listen to me about how my care is fine.  Been at this VA for 13 years with same Primary care doctor and we had everything dialed in on my Medications and Narcotics for pain.  Took one look at my prescriptions and already wanted to change my narcotics the first day.  I told her they are fine, just as they have been for the last three years.  I just saw my old Primary doctor a month ago for my year narcotics review and everything is on point.  She immediately started spouting your taking to much, I'm not ( It was just reduced last year by 10mg a year  ago against my adamant objection.)  So, she ordered the usual blood and urine song and dance and I went an did it after my appointment at 4 pm in the afternoon.
A week later I get a call that I need to go see the pain management clinic.  I'm thinking why?  I saw them a couple years ago and the current med plan is the one we came up with after months of trying all kinds of choices that would null my pain but still allow some daily activity.  It was locked in, they were happy, I was sorta happy, and my primary then was happy that we found a good balance while not perfect was acceptable.
Come to find out today, I stopped by after a phone call from my new Primary doctor's nurse to talk to them about my blood and urine test.  I figure they found my levels were low or something stupid.  NOPE.  They found a trace amount of ethanol in my system and thats why I need to go to Pain Management to get off narcotics and start all over.  I'm thinking, WTF?  I didn't drink that day.  I don't ever drink alcohol, don't even have any at my house?

So instead of asking me why there was alcohol in my system.  They berated me about you can't any alcohol at all why taking narcotics.  EVER! NONE!  I'm a damned adult!  I think I can do as I please if it's not affecting me or my medication consumption.  NO, you had alcohol in your system and that is alcohol and narcotics abuse.   They both continued to verbally chastise me and tell me if I don't go to the pain management they were going to cancel all my narcotics.  

Went to patient advocate to tell him this isn't right to treat me like an idiot and hold hostage my pain as a means to wield their power to control how I live my life.  He didn't seem to care, only stating that they are right, you can't have any alcohol ever.  I also wanted to complain about my new Primary and her bitchy nurse an that they are unacceptable to be my Primary Care Doctor and I want to be assigned to someone else who has been here several years and not some doctor from Russia who got her medical degree from a box of cereal and Online college.
Apparently you can only make a request to get a new Primary Doctor if the reason is good enough which is judged by some magical person he wouldn't tell me who gets to make this decision.  They would let me know in 30 days.

I know the doctor I would like.  I had him several times when my Old Primary was out of office and when she needed a second opinion she would bring him in.  But that is also against the rules.  You cannot pick or choose any doctor you would like because you don't like your current doctor.  WTF?  So I might have to stay with this horrible doctor?  Even though she has a god complex, likes jacking up years of work getting my meds correct, doesn't care what my old doctor has to say nor does she want to talk to her or review her old notes.

1. SO, how can I dump this doctor?  
  2. Keep My meds the same?
  3. Make the Patient Advocate get my doctor changed, an remove their ability to affect my medical records or my life until I get a doctor with common sense?  Or pick the doctor I really want and trust? 
Edited by mav2u

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't see much you can do/just do as the new doc says is about all you can do....or they will certainly make things hard...besides the VA employees take up for one another. We veterans don't have a say in anything...

...I think were all headed  down this road in regards to narcotic pain meds.

They can call any one of us up at any giving time  for urine & blood test.

were all in for a big surprise when this new Administration takes over...what that surprise is  is anyone's guess?