VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does this look like Agent Orange in Thailand?

Rate this question

KCAC

Question

For Thai Vets, who the VA finally acknowledged were exposed to "tactical defoliants from Vietnam", code for Agent Orange since DoD denied for decades Agent Orange was used in Thailand. BUT ONLY ON THE PERIMETERS.  For those of you who have seen it freshly sprayed a few days or weeks later, take a look at these 2 short Military Videos shot at U-Tapeo RFAFB.  The first was shot in 1969 showing from the air, the new automated dining hall directly on the flight line.  If you read the description by the website, criticatpast.com you will see they refer to "red clay" and when you look at the 90 sec clip or whatever it looks like entire area is red clay soil.  The second video shot from the air in the same area of the base, shows the initial constuction project in the same fashion and you can clearly see since U-Tapeo is directly on the coast, there is no red clay.  I contend when you see the pattern of the red, it is showing defoliants sprayed all around the area of the flight line and this new dining hall.  There are many videos on this site on U-T and the first one is the only one with this red orange color throughout it.

I have found pics of AO sprayed in Vietnam and it is close to the color in the Thai video, it looks like part in the picture was recently sprayed vegetation, part had been sprayed in the past and was toast and part had never been sprayed.

1969 video of new dining hall, note they say red clay all around exposed during construction.  No other film on critical past show red clay anywhere on coastal U-Tapeo. I contend the area was defoliated as I went to this base often TDY from 1970 on.  Never saw any clay, red look or much vegetation anywhere near flight line. Just sandy soil.   Anyone who has been to U-Tapeo after this dining hall was built, likely ate there. 

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675034375_Modular-Dining-Hall_B-52-area_aerial-view-of-new-dining-hall

1966 video of initial USAF construction at U-Tapeo.  Nothing like the look of the above video.  

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675042842_flight-line_runway_Ban-U-Tapao-Air-Base_United-States-aircraft_C-and-E-administration-building

pictures of Agent Orange in Vietnam - new dining hall 1969 (2) - base in 1966 in same area (3)

There are 1000s of pictures on criticalpast and elsewhere on the internet.  The only ones showing this red orange color are these shot of the dining hall.  All others, in all years show little vegetation and light sandy soil.

Any thoughts of anything else used that could get this color during this dining hall project?

Thanks,

Scott

agent orange color photo.jpg

65675034375_001150.jpg

U-T 1969 CONSTRUCTION 2.jpg

UT 66 LOOK EAST  1.jpg

UT 66 S END LOOKING WEST.jpg

UT 66 LOOK WEST MID.jpg

2 answers to this question

The first image was posted on this site 5 days ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+long+did+it+take+for+Agent+Orange+to+destroy+jungle+Vietnam&biw=1536&bih=790&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiusKqG-enRAhWDxYMKHX_vA4gQ_AUICCgD&dpr=1.25#imgrc=SMjgQEgNzlEv1M%3A

I cant tell where the image came from or where and when the photo was taken.

I am not saying it isn't a photo of the affects of AO, but it sure does not comport with the way Agent Orange was used during Vietnam War.

My husband was in a tropical jungle (Ashau Valley) when the sprayers came over the jungle soaking his utilities ( no cameos then)(USMC Vietnam 65-66). Within 2 days the entire jungle area was completely decimated.Then again this was the big push and millions of gallons were sprayed in Vietnam,at high concentrations.

There are reflections in the river of what appears to be trees or large bushes still with foliage,.and no affect at all on the other side of the river.( dioxin is a Persistent organic pollutant- I did a thesis on it for AMU and causes a plume affect on ground,land, and sea) 

I could not  determine why one side of the river might have been defoliated but not at leastm some of the other side.

Or where and when the photo was taken.

Reddish-orange clay soil is not unusual in this area of Asia.

Edited by Berta

Berta,

Thx for the reply. I think that photo was posted to show the 3 phases of AO.  In it you see no spray area, recent sprayed area, the red color but you also see that scorched look area that likely was previously sprayed.  It is just like spraying commercial herbicides today. They usually turn yellow first.  A common phrase used in the 60s military was soil sterilizer. I think it was in the long report Gen John Murray sent to the Reagan White House AO group. I think they were using very strong herbicides on fresh construction sites in the tropics to try and impede rapid growth of vegetation on these sites. The scientists in the late 60s were still telling the military the rainbow herbicides were safe around humans.