VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request Advice about 100% Total Unemployment and 100% Total Permanent Disabled

Rate this question

wilspeak

Question

Hello, I have a question. I am 90% VA rated Disabled. I am finding it very hard to get to 100% T and P.  I have heard there are vets who are both 100% Total Unemployment and 100% Total Permanent Disabled.  Can I apply for 100% Total Unemployment and still be able to submit claims and be granted 100% Total Permanent Disabled?  If a veteran is 100% Total Unemployment is it very hard to be granted 100% Total Permanent Disabled? Thank You in advance. 

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Going from 90% to 100% is pretty tough, but possible. You should be able to continue submitting new/secondary/increase claims until you are officially 100%. If you think about it, a lot of military-related disabilities do not improve short of having surgery.

Even when you reach 100%, it is possible to continue filing, especially in the case of SMC.

100% scheduler
This is when your combined rating finally totals up to 100%. You can work if you want/able. May also get additional state benefits.

100% P&T
Same as 100% scheduler, but the P&T doesn't really mean Permanent and Total. It's more like a nickname they use when your condition is not expected to improve, or you have held a 100% rating for a long time, , or your deemed in pretty bad shape. You get an ID card, but also CHAMPVA and Ch. 35 education benefits for dependents. You may also get additional benefits from your state.

100% IU
This is when you typically have a rating less than 100%. Your service-connected disabilities prevent you from being able to work. If approved, you get bumped up to 100%. You have to submit an income form annually to remain eligible. If you qualify for this, then you should consider also filing SSDI if you are not already approved for that. I think you get an ID card and possibly state benefits, but no CHAMPVA or Ch. 35 educational benefits for dependents.

100% TDIU
Same benefits as 100% P&T plus 100% IU. I think you might have to submit an income form annually, but only for a while. Would have to look it up.

John Elway used to say, "Take what the defense gives you".  This is my advice here.  If you are unemployed/unemployable due to sc conditions, then by all means apply for TDIU, where you will get to 100% if awarded.  Yes, there are differences between TDIU and a 100 percent schedular rating, but dont worry about that.  Mostly it means you have to send in a form every year to show that you did not earn any substantial gainful employment from working.    Other than that, you wont see too many differences between TDIU and 100% schedular, with an exception being widows benefits (DIC).  You see, you are unlikely to die from "unemployability", but you could die from   Dont worry if your 100% is due to IU or schedular; when you go to buy milk at the store, they wont ask you, "Hey wait..did you get this money from IU or are you 100% schedular?"   They wont care, they will gladly take your money for just about anything you buy.  

Hello Vync   , Thank you for your response. I want to know if I Can apply for  100% IU and still be able to submit claims and be granted  100% P&T ?     I was worried about the widows benefits (DIC) and the spouses health care benefits. 

Edited by wilspeak

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

Hello  broncovet  Thank You , I was worried about the widows benefits (DIC) and the spouses health care benefits. 

Your 90% SC, didn't you get an "Inferred IU Claim" mentioned in your last Award Letter?

You can file for IU on your E-Ben site. Do you have a MH (PTSD or Depression) SC?

Are you unable to work due solely to your SC'd conditions?  Has your individual Earned Income been under the VA SGI (Substantially Gainful Income) amount of $12,400 for the past 12 months?

Probably most important and one of the Primary IU Denial criteria, are you capable of "Any type of Sedentary Employment" that would provide the SGI $12,400 (Under 65) amount?

As to filing Claims after IU, absolutely. I was IU @ 90% since 2012. You need a New Claim rated at 50% or a serious current SC Increase to get to the 100% Scheduler. I filed about 6 claims after the IU Award, got my bump to 100% from an SA SC 50% 12/15.

With IU, your Earned Income must be reported to the VA every year, within 30 days of your IU Anniversary date.

Semper Fi

I'm on the same boat I was 90 filed IU granted 60 days later. But when you file for PT make sure you do on form 21-526EZ. I requested in writing and just got my denial the reason was I didn't submit it on the proper form.