VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Report to VA when you sign up for medicare?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone know if  veterans need to report to to the VA when signing up for medicare Insurance?

I signed up for medicare but won't take effect until After July 2017

I signed up for the Medicare Advantage Plan G.

Do I need to report that to the VA? 

I still use the VAMC for all my health Care and prescriptions.  

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will take a good guess.  At my VAMC, whenever I check in to an appointment, they ask "if I have other insurance"  That would be a great time to inform them, if you so choose.  

YES, once you get the card in hand it is official and you must report as broncovet stated.

VA is Primary- Medicare is secondary along with my Tricare, if I am at the VA. 

Also, if you have Tricare you do not need to sign up for Part D. ( savings of $30-40 a month.

• HadIt.com Elder

broncovet

They don't ask me if I have other insurance or if I am on medicare at my clinics?

L.

I don't have Tricare...I chose the Medicare Advantage Plan G  It has both part B & D. And very little Co-pay  with a 184 a year deductible to meet  So thats' not to bad.

I will use this Medicare Plan in case I need it for Specialty Care  like Heart Surgery or Major Surgery ...but still use the VA for general Health care & pain meds & other scrips.

I was thinking medicare is the Primary and VA Secondary?

I probably won't get my card until June or so? be 65 in July.

but I signed up already to be ready eh!

Thanks for the info.

Edited by Buck52

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Buck52 - The question is asked on the Kiosk as you sign in -

as a "government" entity - they will know you have other insurances. at a VA facility "VA" is always primary- The Ombudsman told me this at the Texas VA Clinic. VA does not bill as Medicare - does per say... Working in Healthcare for 21 years - That Medicare card is "Golden" and sets the standard for all other care through what they call the accreditation "CMS" system. Pick your part "B" wisely because if you need something some of the less expensive plans do not cover it. 

Great Job signing up early!  online is the easiest. I have been on Medicare 3 years - it is easy to use with a co-pay of $39 for me - excellent deal. :)

Respectfully

L

I have Medicare Advantage and chose Priority Health Key.  I really did not know what I was doing and am paying about $140 a month with add'l $35.00 for a add on plan for vision, hearing and dental.  I use the VA for 99% of my care, but thought I should have the advantage plan so I can use local doctors if I get common colds or other emergencies and can't get to the vA hospital that is 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live.  I am 51, but I have Medicare because I am on SSDI and was issued it automatically after being on Medicare for two years.  I wouldn't mind feedback if it sounds like I made reasonable choices or if there are other things to consider with having the VA care and options for the Medicare plans (parts A, B, G?? ..Advantage plans etc ).