VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Heads up IU vets.

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

6 answers to this question

The way I read;

"Currently, veterans eligible for the program have a 60 to 100 percent disability rating through the VA and are unable to secure a job because of their service-connected disability. The program allows them to get paid at the highest compensation rate. For 2017, the monthly rate for a 100 percent disabled veteran living alone is $2,915 per month.

The change, which the budget describes as a "modernization," would stop the higher payments once a veteran who is eligible for Social Security payments reaches the minimum age to receive them. Veterans who have already reached the age to receive Social Security would be removed from the VA benefit program if Congress approves the proposal."

is that if you are receiving IU, and lets say you were/are 70 percent before you got IU, that now if or when you receive social security at age 62, you would go back to your 70 percent plus get your social security.  I'll have to ponder that for a while.  Not sure if that does not make some sense.  Some would loose money, some would gain depending on how much SS they are getting. What about the Veteran that didn't work enough to get social security, but is IU.  He/she makes out like a bandit compared to the schmoe that is going to get $600.00 from social security.

The "round down" is just a silly way to take 20 million from Vets.

Not sure about the flight school either.  I think healthcare for Veterans is more important than flight school.

Anyway,

Hamslice

Good morning members.

I'm the founder of 4 veteran groups with over 35,000 members.

We've been discussing  this topic all day, This subject was attempted a few times before but never approved. I highly doubt it would be approved unless the current recipients were grandfathered. Homelessness, suicide, bankruptcy, ect would go up .Trump got vets votes caused he was going to help out benefits, not.

Anyhow, I told my members to contact there Congressman and Senators.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just my opinion here,

but anytime they (congress) think about cutting  (ANY BENEFITS) From Veterans  is a grave mistake...why don't they ever think about cutting some of their own benefits  which is 10 times more than us Vets.  (Just look At Their Salaries!)

We VETERANS WOULD NOT NEED ANY BENEFITS IF WE WAS PULLING IN AROUND 250.000.00 YEARLY.

They should leave well enough alone  its not enough what we get anyway and most of us are on a budget as it is.

jmo

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think they (congress) thinks about the bad impact this would have on millions of veterans.

I don't see how this will ever be passed.

They need to think about other more important things  like getting our military built up so we will have a fighting chance with Russia and that is forthcoming in my opinion.

I don't think the removal from IU will see the light of day.  Think about it, more will draw Food Stamps and government subsidies, more veterans will lose their Homes if the mortgage is a VA guaranteed home or even a conventional  loan, more veterans will be homeless placing even more of a burden on society. Bankruptcy may even play a part.  But as I read, there are only 225,000 veterans on IU and that is not a huge figure.

And, the Veterans life insurance will possibly lapse because the veterans can't afford to make monthly payments which will hurt their survivors.  Tell me how a veteran drawing Social Security of $1,000.00 per month is going to make ends meet or provide properly for his or her spouse.  A lot of enlisted veterans haven't paid a lot of money into the SS program over the years-especially if they've been disabled for a couple of decades.  Personally, I can't fathom the federal government doing this to the veterans on IU.  It will create a lot of bad publicity that the politicians don't want and, Trump said he'd take care of America's veterans-that was a campaign promise but politicians have broken promises before.

Many of you can think of other things I'm sure regarding why IU shouldn't be pulled from our veterans and in each you'd be correct I'm sure.  But 225,000 veterans doesn't total up to a large number and it is the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) make this recommendation and that's all it is, a recommendation.  Those drawing government welfare benefits by and large have never contributed to society much less served in the military.  The removal of IU will never see the light of day and CBO should never have caused those veterans on IU undue concern for their financial future.

Edited by john6012