VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Granted 70% Ptsd

Rate this question

K Solo

Question

Was granted 70% service connected combat Ptsd, I'm currently considering applying for IU but wondering how to proceed with it. Don't know if i should file a NOD or listen to the VSO Rep and do and intent to file. My window is still open to file an NOD but wondering if anyone can offer any info to help me to make a decision on how to proceed or if i should. Haven't worked since Dec 2016 and wondering if i should also apply for SSDI Benefits. Can anyone offer any suggestions or info to help me navigate through this process. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.

All VA Voc Rehab Depts should be operating off the same page. My current IL Councilor was my last VR Counselor.

You mentioned VRC "Contractor," was that an error?

Back in 2012, I was in the VR Program, after about 3 months the VRC & I both agreed it wasn't working out. He said that he could give me an "Official VR Denial Letter" but it came with negative consequences if I wanted to re-enter the VR Program at a later date, sooooo I didn't ask for it.

About 6 mos later I received my IU Denial, after which I became aware of the possible importance of the VR Denial Letter.  When I called my former VRC regarding the previously offered "Denial Letter," he said he was no longer my VRC because my case was closed, I'd have resubmit a New Claim for VR. 

I immediately filed the New VR Claim and about 3 weeks later met with my new VRC. Explained the need for the Denial Letter, she reviewed my file, had the Denial Letter within a week. That VR Denial Letter, submitted as N & M Evidence at my DRO Hearing was a key piece of evidence removing the "Sedentary Work" capability from the table. The IU was Awarded in less than 5 minutes.

File a New VocRehab Claim on your E-Ben site, get the "Denial Letter!"

Semper Fi

"Berta what was your husbands PTSD rating when he was awarded 100% P&T for SC PTSD."

He was dead at 30% SC PTSD with 2 claims I became claimant on. Almost three years later they actually read the evidence (which had to have been established at time of his death with VA- and they had it all- criteria for survivors accrued claims) and awarded 100% PTSD back to 3 years prior to his death.

"I was recently denied TDIU but was awarded an increase in my PTSD rating to 70% . Part of the Statement of Case with regards to my NOD stated that I had not filled out VA form 21-8940 so TDIU was denied."

But they had to , in that letter advise you to apply for TDIU- and maybe even enclose the 21-8940 form...did they? If not it might be a CUE.

"Im in the process of filling that form now. I also had been recently denied Vocational Rehab Training and was put into the ILP program  I believe VR was denied due to my service connected disabilities . The ILP program deemed that there wasn't any services that could be offered me at this time. Im appealing the Statement of Case and submitting VA form 21-8940. "

Voc Rehab denials are prime facie evidence of TDIU if solely based on your SC(s).

That was part of my evidence ( I had to send them again all the evidence they had established already) My husband had been in Voc Rehab for years but could no longer participate solely due to his PTSD that had been excerbated by his 100% stroke caused by the VA ( 1151 award)

VOC REHAB records are not part of the Medical records and are maintained by Voc Rehab. I sent the VA a copy of the letter from Voc Rehab (which was in VA's possession at Voc Rehab) when he died.

But Gastone is Correct.....it is the verbiage and actual words of the VA that we need to see, to be properly able to opine here.

Cripes I think I replied to Rocket but there is another vet who started this thread......:blush:

K Solo- when you were awarded the 70% what did the VA say about TDIU? Were you employed when the award came?

Buck can you remind all about the thread procedure here?????????????????????

K Solo ,Berta apologizes are in order . I went outside normal protocol and hijacked K Solos thread.  I apologize for that. I got wrapped up in the moment and identified with K Solos post being similar to my situation. I will open my own thread and direct my questions to that thread. 

It  isn't a big problem just that it confuses us old time hardcore claimants...Thanks!

And that is the best way to really get good well- focused answers....

They didnt know i wasnt employed, but i also have degenerative disc diease in my lower back causing chronic pain, had MRI by VA to verify that and still recovering from a torn rotator cuff surgery both not service connected but that and my PTSD is why im thinking about applying for SSDI I drove big trucks since getting outta the army, 88M was my MOS in the military, transportation. I haven't done anything other then drive trucks and i worried that the medication im taking for PTSD and My back pain will keep me from being able to drive trucks and do the only job i've done since getting out the military. 

On 5/23/2017 at 11:17 PM, K Solo said:

Was granted 70% service connected combat Ptsd, I'm currently considering applying for IU but wondering how to proceed with it. Don't know if i should file a NOD or listen to the VSO Rep and do and intent to file. My window is still open to file an NOD but wondering if anyone can offer any info to help me to make a decision on how to proceed or if i should. Haven't worked since Dec 2016 and wondering if i should also apply for SSDI Benefits. Can anyone offer any suggestions or info to help me navigate through this process. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.