VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

After 50 years I received a 100% disability rating. At 73 years of age I was awarded it about a month ago.

Rate this question

shipdog7

Question

After 50 years I received a 100% disability rating. At 73 years of age I was awarded it about a month ago. Prior to then I received a letter from the Treasury Department stating they didn't have my banking info available if I was awarded a pension. Turns out they did. I had to call the number given to verify it. The gentleman I talked to told me how it can take 6 to 8 years for an appeal. WOW! That was depressing. He said the Washington office alone had 4 or 5 staffers and handled 30,000 claims. I wrote to Senator John McCain telling him what I had learned. With no reply necessary. I turned on CSPAN 2 weeks later to see what was going on with our committee hearings and I hear various Senators pushing bill  H.R.2288 - Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act of 2017. It passed the House and was headed for the Senate. It was to shorten the time period of between 5 and 10 years to one year for appeals. 470,000 appeals waiting for approval. I wrote back to Senator McCain and thanked him today. No reply necessary.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2288?q={"search"%3A["congressId%3A115+AND+billStatus%3A\"Introduced\""]}&r=1

This article might help---

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/2016/07/16/veterans-parachutists-special-evidence-claims/87113342/

(note- the Helo sound is LOUD)

Is a parachutist badge on your DD 214?

If not -use the DD 149 form to make sure it gets onto a DD 215. The form is here under a search.

Even if your SMRs reveal no problems, yourService personnel file should hold a DA 1307, and that is your jump record.

Your unit might have a web site, maybe even a "lookin for section and reunion roster if you need a buddy statement.

Nothing is impossible- this stuff just takes lots of work and research  and Determination.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:10 AM, shipdog7 said:

After 50 years I received a 100% disability rating. At 73 years of age I was awarded it about a month ago.

I am speechless, and grateful that you finally got to the other end of the tunnel.  Your perseverance is simply incredible.

Thank you for sharing this terrific news. 

3 hours ago, capitan said:

Help! I have logged in but it won't let me ask a question. It requires tags and I don't know what tags are..please help my email is richarddharrison@juno.com in case you can't contact me here.

Just type what your question relates to.  As an example, if your subject is, Hemorrhoids, then a good tag line would be, Medical.  Etc.  I believe you can type in anything and it will go.

Give it a shot,

Hamslice

Captain:  "Tags" are words related to your question.  Put in at least 2 tags and seperate with commas.  Example:  Veteran,unemployability.   OR, appeal,tdiu.  Anything works as long as you have at least 2 tags seperated by commas.  It helps other Vets if the "tags" are relevant.  Then they can do a google search on "Veteran unemployablity" and your hadit post should come up, and they can see the answers, too.  

On 6/25/2018 at 5:01 PM, Berta said:

This article might help---

https://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/2016/07/16/veterans-parachutists-special-evidence-claims/87113342/

(note- the Helo sound is LOUD)

Is a parachutist badge on your DD 214?

If not -use the DD 149 form to make sure it gets onto a DD 215. The form is here under a search.

Even if your SMRs reveal no problems, yourService personnel file should hold a DA 1307, and that is your jump record.

Your unit might have a web site, maybe even a "lookin for section and reunion roster if you need a buddy statement.

Nothing is impossible- this stuff just takes lots of work and research  and Determination.

I recently updated my hand typed by who knows who DD214- in 1975 - I persisted and received in 12 mos a DD215, Good info from above.

Double check it (DD215) carefully- when you get it - I had medals I did not earn, & submitted commendations earned certificates, she left off!

I immediately made a complaint online  at Iris and got a call 10 mins later- I had a copy corrected copy in 3 days.