VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am rated 100% for PTSD will going to groups cause me to lose my rating?

Rate this question

OldFoxOne

Question

I was hospitalized and they encouraged me to go to groups. They encouraged me to go to a rec therapy group and my psychiatrist over the phone encouraged me to attend a nightmare group. This is hard for me to do but seems like a step worth taking. My concern is they will take away my benefits the instant I attend a group. Is it true that you lose your benefits for attending a group?

Absolutely Not...don't worry.

It would astonishing if VA ever tried to reduce you, based on that premise and I would kick their ass.

You will find the groups are Very helpful- the vet centers are great too...I had a friend who was scared to death to go to a vet center (Vietnam,, GSW never comped,never applied)- he and his cousin were at a big parade for the Vietnam vets after the war, in Honolulu to be honored and when he asked where the other Hawaii Vietnam vets were, he was told only he and his cousin came back alive. I saw his DD214 and Mil stuff..the real deal  .....he was so scared he never went back to the vet center, yet he had horrible nightmares almost every night.  It is perfectly normal to be apprehensive of being with other veterans with PTSD.

You will be fine.And keep any MH appts too. VA thinks if a vets gets PTSD comp and doesn't get any treatment for it he or she is "cured" of it....so they can try to reduce.

• Founder

I agree with @BertaI've was in individual therapy weekly for decades and group and in inpatient none of it ever triggered even so much as a review. I think it will help you and it is worth your time and effort.

I agree with Berta and Tbird, but you are not alone for "not trusting" VA.  Too many Vets forego the needed treatment out of fear that VA will mess them over.  Given VA's reputation for doing just that, its no wonder that Vets refuse to talk about "the real things" wrong with them.  

While anything you say can and will be held against you to the VA, its actually WORSE to NOT be in treatment.  Its a big red flag if you get your rating and then dont go back to the doc any more that you are what they call a "malingerer".  A malingerer is a term VA uses to describe a Veteran who lies about his condition in order to get benefits.  Dont do that, ever.  

If you get a rating after frequent  doc visits, then stop treatement all together as soon as you get your rating, this could trigger a reduction proposal.  Stay in therapy.  

On 6/1/2017 at 3:51 PM, Berta said:

Absolutely Not...don't worry.

It would astonishing if VA ever tried to reduce you, based on that premise and I would kick their ass.

You will find the groups are Very helpful- the vet centers are great too...I had a friend who was scared to death to go to a vet center (Vietnam,, GSW never comped,never applied)- he and his cousin were at a big parade for the Vietnam vets after the war, in Honolulu to be honored and when he asked where the other Hawaii Vietnam vets were, he was told only he and his cousin came back alive. I saw his DD214 and Mil stuff..the real deal  .....he was so scared he never went back to the vet center, yet he had horrible nightmares almost every night.  It is perfectly normal to be apprehensive of being with other veterans with PTSD.

You will be fine.And keep any MH appts too. VA thinks if a vets gets PTSD comp and doesn't get any treatment for it he or she is "cured" of it....so they can try to reduce.

Thanks Berta!

• HadIt.com Elder
On 6/1/2017 at 5:21 PM, OldFoxOne said:

I was hospitalized and they encouraged me to go to groups. They encouraged me to go to a rec therapy group and my psychiatrist over the phone encouraged me to attend a nightmare group. This is hard for me to do but seems like a step worth taking. My concern is they will take away my benefits the instant I attend a group. Is it true that you lose your benefits for attending a group?

I think it (group therapy)will help you keep your rating..if you stop treatment then yes that will help them take your rating  b/c they will assume your PTSD has improved  and the VA thrives at a reduction.

Fox, are you North of 55? All Vet's south of 55, are usually "Diary Dated" in their C-File for Re-exam of Specific SC's in 3 to 5 yr intervals, especially MH Issues like PTSD. How long have you been Rated with the PTSD SC 100%? No mention on the Award Letter of T & P No Future Exams?

As to your attending PTSD Group Sessions possibly having a future effect on your current PTSD 100% rating, it absolutely could be depending on your age. All PTSD Group therapy sessions are documented in your MHV Med Record. The VA Rating Dept will review your VMC Recs if you're scheduled for a Re-exam or you file a New Secondary to PTSD Claim.  Very seldom and I haven't seen it here on Hadit, will a young Vet get an MH SC that is T & P No Future Exams.

Many, if not all VA & Private MH Clinicians believe the majority of MH conditions, especially PTSD, can improve with time and TREATMENT.  Job security might play into the equation somewhat.                                       Semper Fi