VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New here, a bit confused. Opinions please??

Rate this question

WIDOWS SON

Question

Hello, I have been reading this forums a while but a bit confused if I should pursue a claim. Background :45 years old,male...discharged honorable in 1996. Have never made a claim or filed for any VA health benefits or disability. I was in the Army in an Airborne Unit. Total service time 26 months. Discharged because I could not pass a PT run test (actually due to knee and ankle pain). I did NOT get a medical discharge. Basic training Ft Jackson, AIT Ft Gordan, Jump school Ft Benning, stationed Ft Bragg. When I was discharged I was scheduled for physical therapy for my ankle and never received it (noted in medical records). In my military medical records I was diagnosed several times with "Ft Bragg Knee" aka runners knee. Also several times for ankle pain and sprain.....and a time or two for back pain from a airborne jump (this noted on report also). All I was ever given was dosages of 800 mg ibuprofen, and other prescription anti inflammatory meds and 3 days off from PT. Never an xray or anything more than a quick 10 minute visit and return to duty. When I did my exit physical I checked off all of this as ailments also.My knees ,back and ankles have always hurt on and off ever since...especially the last few years. Also I have quite a few documented cases in military records of cough and cold, sinus, and respiratory related stuff in my military records. I still suffer from those yearly...usually 2-4 times a year. I have this documented on civilian records also....sinusitis, bronchiltis or upper respiratory infection. I had an MRI done about 10 years ago noting a polyup(sp) in my sinus cavity. Pretty frequent headaches. I have never been as sick as when I joined the military.

So, in a nutshell should I pursue this? I already have my medical records from the military, and can easily get all civilian ones. ALSO can I file for VA Medical now or should I wait until I file a disability claim? I have always just had private insurance. I did file once for VA Med but was told I made too much $$$. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!

2 answers to this question

Hello there! I used to work at the VA as a veteran service rep, so I wanted to try an help make your claim process a little easier. :) 

Do you have an eBenefits account and a MyHealtheVet account? If not, I'd recommend getting both. You can file for VA benefits via eBenefits online, and, with MyHealtheVet, you can view any and all medical records and lab reports you've had done at any VAMC. It comes in VERY handy when filing for benefits. 

From what you said in your post, I'd recommend claiming the following conditions. 

Bilateral knee pain

Bilateral ankle pain

Back pain

Sinusitis

Headaches (secondary to sinusitis)

Anxiety (secondary to bilateral ankle pain)

Note: Explain how you were separated for a PT failure, and how this condition not only ended your military career, but it has caused you undue stress at work and home because you aren't able to complete daily tasks without it causing pain. The more information about how this condition affects your life in a negative manner the better. 

Here's the rating criteria for both Sinusitis and Rhinitis. Claim the one that best matches what's in your military records, and then claim headaches as a secondary condition to it. 

6514 Sinusitis, sphenoid, chronic.

General Rating Formula for Sinusitis (DC’s 6510 through 6514):

Following radical surgery with chronic osteomyelitis, or; near constant sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain and tenderness of affected sinus, and purulent discharge or crusting after repeated surgeries...50%

Three or more incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or; more than six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or crusting...30%

One or two incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or; three to six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or crusting...10%

Detected by X-ray only...0%

Note: An incapacitating episode of sinusitis means one that requires bed rest and treatment by a physician.

6522 Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis:

With polyps...30%

Without polyps, but with greater than 50-percent obstruction of nasal passage on both sides or complete obstruction on one side...10%

It's also a good idea to scan any and all documents regarding each condition into a PDF file, and upload them with your claim.

I hope this helps get you started! Please let me know if you need any help!