VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Senior Sneakers, Recommend

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I recently signed up for the senior sneakers program.  One of the "medicare advantage" plans, (mine is Humana) pays for Senior Sneakers.  They pay the full cost of a health club membership, if you go to a participitang plan.  Examples  of the senior sneakers are: Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, YMCA, Curves and others.  They are mostly "national" fitness centers like those I mentioned.  Check with your medicare advantage plan, if you have one.   Also, you can ask your favorite nearby health club if they take "senior sneakers".  

I recently turned 65, and signed up for the Medicare advantage plan as we all know, sometimes the line is too long to get into the VA, and you dont always get good medical care even then.  Eligibility for Senior Sneakers makes the 130 or so per month I pay for the medicare advantage easier to swallow.  Depending upon your state, the medicare advantage plan can be zero premium BUT, you have to have medicare part B which costs about 130 per month.    I did NOT have Part B earlier, reasoning that I did not need it, I could just go to the VA.  However, after seeing my wife being able to go to private care OR the VA, I saw the advantage of having both.   Its very limiting to HAVE to go to the VA.   Frankly, I was jealous of my wife having better health care than I have (but glad).  Now, I can get private care also, through hunmana my medicare advantage plan.  

I think its a great idea for seniors/Vets to get exercise.  Of course, you will have to start out slow.  Today I did 20 minutes on the treadmill.   Exercise helps, among other things, with depression.  

I dont see a down side to this, other than if you sign up and dont use it.  I do recommend a facility that is close so you will use it.  There are 3 within 5 miles of my home and one is less than a mile.   However, since it does not have a pool, Im going with one 4.5 miles away as it has a pool.  

When I signed up for a medicare advantage plan, the senior sneakers was a very, very big issue for me.  

Yes, I can work out at the nearby post, but its a hassle to get in and get out of there as they always check id's, and the private places are closer, and less hassle to get into.    

Edited by broncovet

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet