VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MH cp exam, examiner states you don't have something you have been diagnosed with for years

Rate this question

seminoles

Question

I had a cp exam and recently received the results,  I found it odd that the box asking if I was diagnosed with multiple mental health issues said No was checked as I have numerous diagnoses in my VA chart and my last mh cp exams all had yes checked?   Also, I am being treated at the VA for all of them, one of which is panic disorder with agoraphobia.  I do not leave my house alone, ever.  I am on a lot of benzos (I know) because of my panic disorder and yet she said I do not have panic disorder nor panic disorder with agoraphobia.  The last cp examiner said I do have them, which was 3 months ago, but they weren't service connected........ It was rated then and combined with my other mh etc. I am not sure of her angle here, she was super (or acted super concerned) during my exam.  I was having a really bad day honestly and had a panic attack in the waiting room and well, afterward one isn't exactly my best emotional state.  I have bipolar 2 (which I am rated for as well) and I have depression issues from that as well.  Because I was in such a state during my exam I was actually afraid she was going to Baker Act me, I had to assure he repeatedly that I wasn't actually suicidal.  Yes I have suicidal thoughts but I was not suicidal.  There is a difference, I had to explain that to her.  It was really hard and I was a wreck.  She seemed genuinely concerned that I was having such a hard time receiving care through my local va and that choice was taking so long getting me therapy, etc.  She asked all the questions she was supposed to.  This exam was because the first exam was a 10 minute exam where the examiner did not do the full dbq and I requested another.  The box she checked on my notes is for 30%, and she said I have mild bipolar.  That is a joke honestly.  When somone's mental health is at the point that a cp examiner is asking them repeatedly if they are suicidal during their exam, they don't have a mild mental health issue.  She wasn't simply checking the boxes.  I feel like she was covering the other examiner's behind.  In the big picture I guess it doesn't matter, I am IU PT.  Does her saying I don't have panic disorder with agoraphobia negate my diagnosis of every other psychiatrist that says I do? 

• HadIt.com Elder

yes upload the ones that are favorable to your claim not all  they don't want to read 100 pages of notes, also just give your lay statement as to why you wanted to submit these as to prove your diagnose and counter what the C&P EXAMINER MENTION AT THAT PARTICULAR EXAM.

keep these notes as you may need them later if you have a DRO Hearing.

Just now, Buck52 said:

yes upload the ones that are favorable to your claim not all  they don't want to read 100 pages of notes, also just give your lay statement as to why you wanted to submit these as to prove your diagnose and counter what the C&P EXAMINER MENTION AT THAT PARTICULAR EXAM.

keep these notes as you may need them later if you have a DRO Hearing.

I won't upload a ton of notes, just that statement from 2013 from my long time VA psychiatrist and my response to her exam, she didn't even ask me a single question about my panic attacks?  yet stated I don't have panic disorder with agoraphobia.  She must have opined this because I she asked me after seeming VERY concerned and asked if my family ever took vacations, and I was honest and told her that after finding out that Disney has disability accomodations, which will make it so I don't have to wait in lines that we were going to take our young children for hte first time. That we were using the Disability services and staying off of Disney at a condo so I didn't have to be around loud crowds, could eat in our condo and just go to the park for a short period of time and leave as needed.  THAT was what she based her decision on, I supposed, funny how they twist things and only include that I was going to Disney, not how I had to go through a ton of crap and how hard it was for me to do that for my children.  I wouldn't care if she wrote that, that is the truth.  I busted my butt and sucked it up and did it.  That was a huge deal.  Did they get to spend hours in the park each day?  No, but they got to go to Disney (we live in Florida, so it isn't like we flew and drove for days) but still, I had to be on a ton of benzos and use my walker, etc. I am sure there are many veterans with ptsd, etc. who go to Disney or do other things and have panic disorders etc. I don't like being lied to, and I feel like this is a game to the VA and that really makes me mad.  It shouldn't be like that.  I wish they would video tape these damn things and that way no one can lie.  I would love that.   I am at the point that I won't go to any appointment alone anymore at the VA except my neurologist, he is about the only provider, him and my urologist that I don't think are full of crap.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I understand how they can miss- construe what we say at our exams.

I think if you luck out and get a rater that is sense-able and understanding  this won't be a problem.

over the years I learned at a C&P  never volunteer information if they don't ask, and only answer the questions with direct answers or say something like   yes that should be in the computer  ,If you can Mr smith can you find it .ect,,,ect,,,

when they get on a subject like what she ask you about vacations,  & if you never mention this to any of your Dr's before  (so it won't be in your notes'') just say no we have not been on vacation now in a long time  b/c of my S.C. disability's Another burden to my family. that is more what they want to hear....another burden to my family.

in my opinion when I hear a examiner ask questions like that or says  ''it is not me who makes the decision''  a red flag comes up and tells me this examiner is NOT veteran family and will do his best to have me denied...so I am very cautious of these type questions.

1 minute ago, Buck52 said:

Yes I understand how they can miss- construe what we say at our exams.

I think if you luck out and get a rater that is sense-able and understanding  this won't be a problem.

over the years I learned at a C&P  never volunteer information if they don't ask, and only answer the questions with direct answers or say something like   yes that should be in the computer  ,If you can Mr smith can you find it .ect,,,ect,,,

when they get on a subject like what she ask you about vacations,  & if you never mention this to any of your Dr's before  (so it won't be in your notes'') just say no we have not been on vacation now in a long time  b/c of my S.C. disability's Another burden to my family. that is more what they want to hear....another burden to my family.

in my opinion when I hear a examiner ask questions like that or says  ''it is not me who makes the decision''  a red flag comes up and tells me this examiner is NOT veteran family and will do his best to have me denied...so I am very cautious of these type questions.

I was honestly in my worst state ever at an exam, I had had a panic attack in the waiting room, was in a complete state of tears and this woman kept repeatedly asking me if I was suicidal and telling me she was really worried about me, I was really afraid.  I thought she was going to have me baker acted.  She even went so far as to ask how I discipline my children?  I have never had anyone ask me that in over 15 years of psychiatrists.......it was scary honestly.  Because I was so fearful, I lost my head and didn't follow my own known rules for these guidelines.  She took advantage of my very vulnerable state. 

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I know exactly what you mean, just some times we need to think clearly at these types of exams  if we can that is!!! and I certainly understand what you mean.

unexpected exam questions like that  they are trying to get your anxiety high so you will slip up/off your guard...took me a few years to learn that old trick.

Here on hadit TBird has a site as to what type of C&P Your going to have and  she has a place that you can go and read about these types of C&P Exams and what to expect and how to answer some of the questions , that helps a lot.

4 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

yes I know exactly what you mean, just some times we need to think clearly at these types of exams  if we can that is!!! and I certainly understand what you mean.

unexpected exam questions like that  they are trying to get your anxiety high so you will slip up/off your guard...took me a few years to learn that old trick.

Here on hadit TBird has a site as to what type of C&P Your going to have and  she has a place that you can go and read about these types of C&P Exams and what to expect and how to answer some of the questions , that helps a lot.

I should have known better for sure, this ain't my first rodeo...good news is that it won't reduce my rating for mh or my overall but it isn't an accurate rating either.  Just pisses me off that they pull this crap.