VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC for two single 100% ratings ?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if there is a SMC sub-category for two separate 100% ratings. I am aware of SMC-S for 100% plus 60%. Is there a SMC category/rating for 100% plus 100% single independent ratings ?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Good Question!

I believe what the VA Raters are required to do is look at the severity of the disability and rate the SMC Accordingly, using the SMC Special ratings table chart.

And give that SMC that is close or closer to the next highest SMC letter,as I understandit.

However Alex Graham Explains the SMC in full detail.

check out asknod .org  site, As he explains the SMC's fairly well.

Or check this link out

https://asknod.org/2016/02/19/hadit-radio-friday-topics/

Try this one on for size-- https://asknod.org/2013/02/27/special-monthly-compensation-what-is-it/

There is no benefit such as you describe specifically for a Vet with two 100% schedular ratings. I have two 100% schedular ratings myself. Here's when the SMC benefit you are describing kicks in. If you become helpless as defined in 38 CFR §3.350 and §3.352 for A&A, you qualify for a "bump" up from 100% to SMC L. This applies independently of if you are already entitled to SMC S. Alternatively, you could have loss of, or loss of use of both lower extremities or loss of, or loss of use of one hand and one foot and qualify for SMC L as well. 

But... once you qualify for SMC L, if you have an additional 100% (real scheduler-not TDIU) rating unrelated to your first 100% schedular rating, you get a bump up from L to M. Concurrently, if you have any singular rating 50% or higher or a combination of ratings entitling you to 50% or higher, then you would qualify for a half step up from SMC M to SMC M 1/2. You could have three 100% schedulars and get a bump from L to N and then pile on the 50% or greater extras. 

You can see you cannot get on this "bump" wagon until you qualify for SMC L-even if you are getting SMC S. If you have SMC L for helplessness (Aid and Attendance) and you have loss of use of lower extremities (or hand and foot), you automatically advance to SMC O. The party doesn't end there. You are then also entitled to SMC R(1). As far as I know, this is one of the few examples of legal VA pyramiding to get a higher rating. 

Edited by asknod

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Alex,

I was looking for your Mr Potato Head Illustration (good one btw)

Colawoman,

I am sorry to read your Hubby has ALS...all of these things we talk about here are basically to help him and his family out financially&after the 100% things get pretty complicated   and  We all Here at Hadit .com and also Asknod.Org hope the veterans & spouse understand this & when we get so for along on the disabled list it takes $$ for our care  and this is what the SMC is all about ( in my opinion) its the least our nation can do for these Veterans.

I wish the VA would just make it much more simpler to understand...Knowledge Is Power When dealing with the VA System.

& Asknod just gave us some great information.